Superb 3 DSG real mpg?

Had a dig around the net, but not better place than the owners. Anybody got an actually real mpg for the Superb 3 DSG. 1.6 or 2.0. 

I Uber part time on the side you see, and my Superb 2 DSG needs upgrading soon. I currently average 38mpg in my 2.0 DSG. 460 miles to the tank to 0.

My 2015 (very early UK) S3 L&K 190 DSG Estate rarely exceeded 41-43mpg in service over almost 40,000 miles.  It needed its Ad Blue tank refilling with 10-12litres every 7,000 miles or so.  This and the simply dreadful DSG box, reliability issues and poor Dealer support led to me handing it back almost a year early.

I now run a BMW 220xDrive Gran Tourer (7-seater).  Same 190bhp on tap, two turbos, AWD, and a proper (Japanese) 8-spd auto.  It produces  48-50mpg with no issues at all and after 7,000 miles tells me that I still have another 3,500 miles range in the Ad Blue tank.  It currently only wants 3litres to fill it up.  Given it cost the same as a fully loaded L & K it is a much, much better car.  OK you can’t get 2 coffins in the back but even so it’s not a small car.

I don’t know what compromises VAG forced on Škoda, but IMHO they ruined what should have been a really good car.  The power train should have been far more economical.  A recent long term test I saw a week or so back gave the real world mpg of this variant as 38mpg.  To be fair there are a few on here who have seen better mpg, but the 150bhp engine is significantly more economical to run.

12 minutes ago, FelisBengalensis said:

My 2015 (very early UK) S3 L&K 190 DSG Estate rarely exceeded 41-43mpg in service over almost 40,000 miles.  It needed its Ad Blue tank refilling with 10-12litres every 7,000 miles or so.  This and the simply dreadful DSG box, reliability issues and poor Dealer support led to me handing it back almost a year early.

I now run a BMW 220xDrive Gran Tourer (7-seater).  Same 190bhp on tap, two turbos, AWD, and a proper (Japanese) 8-spd auto.  It produces  48-50mpg with no issues at all and after 7,000 miles tells me that I still have another 3,500 miles range in the Ad Blue tank.  It currently only wants 3litres to fill it up.  Given it cost the same as a fully loaded L & K it is a much, much better car.  OK you can’t get 2 coffins in the back but even so it’s not a small car.

I don’t know what compromises VAG forced on Škoda, but IMHO they ruined what should have been a really good car.  The power train should have been far more economical.  A recent long term test I saw a week or so back gave the real world mpg of this variant as 38mpg.  To be fair there are a few on here who have seen better mpg, but the 150bhp engine is significantly more economical to run.

Compare your 41-43mpg average over 40,000 miles to my actual 40.8mpg average over 19,200 miles so far in my Octavia. However you had 187bhp to deploy and I have 336bhp so shows up the diesel in a very bad light.:giggle:

Thanks people.

I really need to aim for 50mpg mixed for my next car. I can get late 50s in my S2 on the motorway. Seems the economy is all but the same then.

Be considering the Prius + too. Ugly thing though, and bloody expensive in comparison to what Skoda offer.

• Haha 1

50 minutes ago, shyVRS245 said:

Compare your 41-43mpg average over 40,000 miles to my actual 40.8mpg average over 19,200 miles so far in my Octavia. However you had 187bhp to deploy and I have 336bhp so shows up the diesel in a very bad light.:giggle:

Exactly.  I have never had such a poor performing diesel in the 33 years that I have driven oil burners.  Even our 3-litre 3-series diesel does better. Lovely car but hamstrung by internal politics within VAG.  I did wonder whether because it was produced immediately after ‘Dieselgate’ that something was changed, and later 190bhp EA288 cars are now more economical.

I drive round country roads here in scotland (no motor- dual carriageways here) on an hour 40 mile trip in my 68 plate l&k 2.0 tdi 4x4 (190). The mpg tends to average between 43 and 52mpg. Im hoping as i go further the mpg will improve as so far ive done 5.5k

Looks like the manual might be better on fuel then, 2.0 TDi 190 combi manual here, 52mpg actual average over 10,000 miles of mixed driving. Ad Blue fill will last around 11,500 miles.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Markbro said:

Looks like the manual might be better on fuel then, 2.0 TDi 190 combi manual here, 52mpg actual average over 10,000 miles of mixed driving. Ad Blue fill will last around 11,500 miles.

Manuals always better than auto's (DSG) due to human brain works better than any computer for optimum change up/down point keeping engine in the sweet spot for economy. Had 2 auto's in my 35 years of driving (one 64 plate DSG) and they used more fuel than similar size engines witha manual. For example 2.0Tdi 2013 Octavia SE mapped to 186bhp best was 70mpg and 2015 Vrs Tdi with 181bhp (standard not modified but DSG) best was 66mpg.:clap:

Most of my driving is my commute to/from work, approx. 25 miles each way. It's a mix of motorway, 50mph A roads and some town driving. I quickly realised that the cars computer is optimistic and therefore got into a habit of measuring my average mpg after every tank fill... sadly it's an habit I can't now break :doh:

Anyway, after almost 2yrs and 24k my lowest average on a tank has been 44.58mpg and my best has been 54.65mpg. OMG I feel so embarrassed admitting this...... the fact I've actually kept a record.

On single runs I've seen mid 60's but I've also seen it drop into the 30's with a lot of 'around town' driving.

I should add that I rarely use stop/start. And according to my wife I drive like a granddad (most of the time...).

Terry

PS Mine is the 150bhp

Edited by Whaty
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, sapf0 said:

Thanks people.

I really need to aim for 50mpg mixed for my next car. I can get late 50s in my S2 on the motorway. Seems the economy is all but the same then.

Be considering the Prius + too. Ugly thing though, and bloody expensive in comparison to what Skoda offer.

I am afraid if you want awesome economy, a Prius is the way to go. That's why minicab drivers love them. Been I'm a boggo mk4 Prius cab and it averaged 72mpg on the computer over 40k miles. 

What ever you do, don't get a 280 ...Mine barely eeks out 30mpg lol

1 hour ago, Whaty said:

Most of my driving is my commute to/from work, approx. 25 miles each way. It's a mix of motorway, 50mph A roads and some town driving. I quickly realised that the cars computer is optimistic and therefore got into a habit of measuring my average mpg after every tank fill... sadly it's an habit I can't now break :doh:

Anyway, after almost 2yrs and 24k my lowest average on a tank has been 44.58mpg and my best has been 54.65mpg. OMG I feel so embarrassed admitting this...... the fact I've actually kept a record.

On single runs I've seen mid 60's but I've also seen it drop into the 30's with a lot of 'around town' driving.

I should add that I rarely use stop/start. And according to my wife I drive like a granddad (most of the time...).

Terry

PS Mine is the 150bhp

Join the club I have every fuel receipt for both our cars since they were purchased new in August 2017 and January 2018. 19,200 and 12,100 miles respectively.:clap:

20 hours ago, Steviedakota said:

Interesting comparison. I've driven a Gran Tourer and while ok I'd rate the Superb better in every way, bar economy as you point out. Pretty sure you also only have one turbo, but it's a twin scroll. ;)

Latest models are biturbo (at least that’s what the drawings and parts now show) - changed April 2018 builds forward.  BMW retuned the engines for the new regs and added a second turbo to bring the power back to 190bhp.  Prior to that they were twin-scroll.

The 2019 model (even though built in 2018!) has a number of updates and upgrades (the turbo config is one), and we both much prefer it, and each to their own :biggrin:

Edited by FelisBengalensis
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Whaty said:

I quickly realised that the cars computer is optimistic and therefore got into a habit of measuring my average mpg after every tank fill... sadly it's an habit I can't now break :doh:

The Fuelly website/app is your friend for this :)

Mine’s a 150 DSG estate (no AdBlue), according to Fuelly I’ve averaged 46.3MPG and a best of 50.6MPG over the last 14,000 miles. That’s on a mix of city driving, dual carriageways and motorways (including a round trip to the French Alps).