First refuel. gulp!

Breezy

Called into local petrol station today to fill the Karoq for the first time since taking delivery. It was a demo model 1.5tsiDSG with a mileage of 291 when filled on collection. Now, three weeks and 191 miles later I filled it again. It took 29.04ltrs (6.38 gallons).

That works out at a less than brilliant 29.93mpg overall! Not quite Skoda’s 50mpg claim.

Roughly half of the mileage was careful motorway mileage (too early mileage wise to thrash it) and the other half, short trips around town.

Having driven diesels for the last 20 or so years that has come as a bit of a shock.....I dont think I will bother checking mpg in future....just enjoy the ride!

I too did the first refuel (today) in my new Karoq and after 300 miles of town and motorway.

I’ve worked out an average mpg of 34.

Not particularly good for a 1.5Tsi DSG driven carefully.

Filled our SEL up at about 32 miles in and yet to fill up again , although it has done 200 miles and it is just past the half way mark on the fuel gauge. Will need to be filled up this weekend or the beginning of next week. 

Started my usual Fuelly for the Karoq below. 

http://www.fuelly.com/car/skoda/karoq/2018/lustral/871597

Posted this the other day in a different thread, ours is an Edition so heavier than your vehicles so in time hopefully your mpg will improve

Just sat and calculated our full years petrol costs with calculations per litre as we have noted price of petrol/litre each time we've filled up.  Husband tends to drive in eco mode most of the time, he has a 10.7 mile round trip to work 2.5 miles one way on the M20 which is only one junction so probably doesn't move out of lane one he does this approx 22 days a month plus a 50 mile round trip mostly on dual carriageways 4 times a month plus short trips at weekend to our nearest town about 3 miles away then 8 trips to Central London and a few other hour or so trips.  

He always has the bluetooth connected to his phone and plays his music that way, he will also have electric seats on in winter and air con on in summer, and last year it was very hot in Kent plus the glass roof open when he can.

From 1st Feb 2018 to 31 Jan 2019 we have driven 8363 miles spent £1171.07 fuel at 957.54 litres which equates to 8.73mpl or 39.68mpg.  

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, womanofkent said:

Posted this the other day in a different thread, ours is an Edition so heavier than your vehicles so in time hopefully your mpg will improve

Just sat and calculated our full years petrol costs with calculations per litre as we have noted price of petrol/litre each time we've filled up.  Husband tends to drive in eco mode most of the time, he has a 10.7 mile round trip to work 2.5 miles one way on the M20 which is only one junction so probably doesn't move out of lane one he does this approx 22 days a month plus a 50 mile round trip mostly on dual carriageways 4 times a month plus short trips at weekend to our nearest town about 3 miles away then 8 trips to Central London and a few other hour or so trips.  

He always has the bluetooth connected to his phone and plays his music that way, he will also have electric seats on in winter and air con on in summer, and last year it was very hot in Kent plus the glass roof open when he can.

From 1st Feb 2018 to 31 Jan 2019 we have driven 8363 miles spent £1171.07 fuel at 957.54 litres which equates to 8.73mpl or 39.68mpg.  

I’ll be very happy if I get that as an average mpg.

I never rely on the onboard computer in a car as they (in my experience) always show an optimistic figure which is usually 3 or 4 mpg better than you are actually  getting.

The best way is to keep a record each time you fill the tank (I always do a full re fuel) of miles travelled and compare that with how much fuel you used. 

49 minutes ago, Panther_uk said:

According to the on board computer, I regularly manage around 32mpg on the daily commute, on a long motorway run I can get 40'ish

When I filled up today and worked out consumption as 30mpg the screen was telling me overall consumption since last reduel was  40.5mpg!  Thats about 25% too optimistic.

• Like 1

After second fill up, my calculated mpg is 43.1 . This was achieved with a very light foot on medium distance journeys. For comparison , my 1.4tsi golf estate (same weight as karoq)  at a similar age achieved 48+. A much quieter engine as well!

Not forgetting it's winter use more as we use Lights,heated seats on some , mirrors, rear defrost, windscreen on some, takes longer to heat up.

summer i was getting low 50's now low 40's mway steady 65 around town Mid 40's summer  35/40 winter 1.0l se

• Like 2

13 hours ago, skoda1982 said:

Not forgetting it's winter use more as we use Lights,heated seats on some , mirrors, rear defrost, windscreen on some, takes longer to heat up.

summer i was getting low 50's now low 40's mway steady 65 around town Mid 40's summer  35/40 winter 1.0l se

Have to say that with it being new Ive also spent a fair bit of time sat stationary at home with engine running while I figured out various functions. Several mornings sat stationary for ten minutes with engine running to defrost....(shame no heated windscreen but you get what you get with a demo).

still less than 500 miles on clock so hoping things will improve with time.

This thread makes me so glad I bought the comparatively frugal 280 TSI :o

As above,  colder temperatures and winter fuel with skew your MPG/economy and also it will take a few thousand miles for engines to 'loosen up'.   Though getting from 25-30 MPG up to the manufacturers claimed 50, may be a little optimistic....

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Breezy said:

Have to say that with it being new Ive also spent a fair bit of time sat stationary at home with engine running while I figured out various functions. Several mornings sat stationary for ten minutes with engine running to defrost....(shame no heated windscreen but you get what you get with a demo).

still less than 500 miles on clock so hoping things will improve with time.

With my kessy there is no need to have the engine running. Press the start button without touching the brake, it then turns on the ignition only. 

Tom

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Breezy said:

When I filled up today and worked out consumption as 30mpg the screen was telling me overall consumption since last reduel was  40.5mpg!  Thats about 25% too optimistic.

If you keep track of your tank-to-tank MPG then you can have the cars computer adjusted +/- %, so that it's fairly accurate.  Someone with VCDS should be able to do this for you.   

2 minutes ago, penguin17 said:

If you keep track of your tank-to-tank MPG then you can have the cars computer adjusted +/- %, so that it's fairly accurate.  Someone with VCDS should be able to do this for you.   

That would be useful, thanks. Will need to find someone with VCDS.

Presently Ive not even seen anyone with a Karoq arond here. A couple of times Ive been asked what it is!

15 hours ago, skoda1982 said:

If I can come somewhere near your figures I'll be well happy....I was starting to worry about the 1.0Tsi as so many mentions on the web make it out to be well thirsty.....I can only assume folk are driving 'em to the limit much of the time......me, (us) have never really played the 'first to the next lights wins' game.

1 hour ago, Berisford said:

If I can come somewhere near your figures I'll be well happy....I was starting to worry about the 1.0Tsi as so many mentions on the web make it out to be well thirsty.....I can only assume folk are driving 'em to the limit much of the time......me, (us) have never really played the 'first to the next lights wins' game.

Seems to be quite variable. Ive always driven any car in a careful fashion* and usually get within 10% or so of manufacturers figures. My Qashai returned 50.2mpg over three years, my BMW 320d MSport achieved 49mpg over 6yrs.

I anticipated the move from Diesel to Petrol would obviously affect mpg but it is a little disappointing to be so far behind the (very optimistic Skoda claims). I should add that most of the last 200 miles have been with no passengers or weight in the boot!

*By careful, I mean sticking to speed limits and not thrashing the engine at all. I dont mean pootling along at 56mph on the motorway to save a bit of fuel while leaving a trail of destruction behind me from frustrated drivers colliding with lorries that have to pull over to pass. :happy:

39 minutes ago, Breezy said:

*By careful, I mean sticking to speed limits and not thrashing the engine at all. I dont mean pootling along at 56mph on the motorway to save a bit of fuel while leaving a trail of destruction behind me from frustrated drivers colliding with lorries that have to pull over to pass. :happy:

:biggrin:

I just checked my long term usage   37.5mpg over 1233 miles age 29mph

A mix of motorway but mostly commuting. It managed 50 mpg (according to the display!) once last year and 51mpg on a long motorway run last week, with 2 seats out and the car fully laden. Around town it shows something like 34-37 mpg mostly, this time of year.

This is with 6,500 on the clock.

Hope this helps.

Surprised to read this.  We are considering changing our Leon 1.4ACT to a 1.5 TSI Karoq, the Leon easily gets 45mpg in mixed driving and over 50mpg on a run.  Even allowing for a bit of extra weight, the numbers suggested for the 1.5 seem a real backward step, especially with the other issues some products have experienced.  My 340bhp BMW gets late 30's mpg driven sensibly.

22 minutes ago, OldKaroq said:

:biggrin:

I just checked my long term usage   37.5mpg over 1233 miles age 29mph

A mix of motorway but mostly commuting. It managed 50 mpg (according to the display!) once last year and 51mpg on a long motorway run last week, with 2 seats out and the car fully laden. Around town it shows something like 34-37 mpg mostly, this time of year.

This is with 6,500 on the clock.

Hope this helps.

11 minutes ago, JackReacher said:

Surprised to read this.  We are considering changing our Leon 1.4ACT to a 1.5 TSI Karoq, the Leon easily gets 45mpg in mixed driving and over 50mpg on a run.  Even allowing for a bit of extra weight, the numbers suggested for the 1.5 seem a real backward step, especially with the other issues some products have experienced.  My 340bhp BMW gets late 30's mpg driven sensibly.

The figures I quoted have been calculated by using actual petrol used and mileage, are you taking figures off the car display?

As on one drive our car display showed 58mpg for a trip plus the normal it shows is about 45mpg so there is a variation to what the car says and actual mpg, remember the long term usage resets and is not since you first owned the car.  It will also depend on what car you have, the Edition with the glass roof was withdrawn as it didn't meet the new emissions tests so anyone with a lighter car should get better mpg and also there will be a difference between manual and dsg versions.  Plus of course the type of journeys that are done, most of the M20 in Kent at the moment is restricted to 50mph :dull:.  This year we will be doing a lot of long journeys looking at universities it will be interesting to finally see what the Karoq can do.

(NB Posted this on wrong thread just before heading out from my Nexus, now on PC so here it is in right place...)

http://www.fuelly.com/car/skoda/karoq/2018?engineconfig_id=37&bodytype_id=&submodel_id=

This will give you a good idea of what to expect with a 1.5 engine.

Like you it shocked me after coming from Diesel Octi's especially last one which was a green line version which easily got 60mpg.

I now get range anxiety and have had the car down to the last 20 miles a few times as I misjudged when to fuel up on longer journeys.

I get an average of 39 / 40 mpg and just once in 6,700 miles I got 50mpg...

Just a learning curve I need to get used to after 20 years driving diesel...