Rear brake pads

FitzG

I have had my Kodiaq for 10 months now,it was an ex display car when we bought and had 5,000 on the clock.I have done 11,000 miles and when I had a service last month I was told the rear brake pads are worn 70% and needed replacing at a cost of £500!I was told the pads used to be coated in asbestos and would last longer,and now the pads are a more powdery material and wear quicker?I asked what the pads would have been when we bought at 5,000 miles and was told worn approx 10%.This just doesn’t seem right at all,and not proportionate to the miles I have done.

The car had a brand new battery fitted in December as there was a manufacture fault (we didn’t pay for this) and now the brakes.

The work hasn’t been done yet but if it needs doing then will have to be done soon,but I feel like I need a second opinion?

Not what I expected from an almost brand new car.

Anyone else had the same issue?

• Sad 1

If they are the same as the Superb, then the rear brakes are shocking quality with most owners moaning about them, I need to do mine ASAP (@ 52K miles) as despite them not being anywhere near worn out they do not wear evenly, similar to these (but much worse):

20180322_162846.jpg

FWIW I can get a pair of Brembo rear discs and pads for well under £100, even if you add 2 hours labour to replace them (if you take over an hour then you really shouldn’t be doing them in the first place!) then you can halve your £500 bill (which incidentally they would use the same sh*te OE discs)

Pads have not had asbestos in for a lot longer than the Kodiaq has been around. That is speak for will they swallow that one!

pPads will wear in direct proportion to how you drive or how the car is set up, i.e. If there is a fault.

Even if they have worn out £500 is way to high.

Edited by Danny 57
  • Like 1

Being told that brake pads are 70% worn does not mean they are 70% worn.  Usually that tech / fitter says 80% worn.

Funnily maybe 20 percent worn when actually they are challenged and asked the actual measurement they have.

Maybe just maybe your pads are 30% worn.

So sad paying customers have to trust the people they pay to do a job, and then there are those breaking trust trying to up-sell, 

and some as honest as the day is long.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Skoffski said:

Being told that brake pads are 70% worn does not mean they are 70% worn.  Usually that tech / fitter says 80% worn.

Funnily maybe 20 percent worn when actually they are challenged and asked the actual measurement they have.

Maybe just maybe your pads are 30% worn.

So sad paying customers have to trust the people they pay to do a job, and then there are those breaking trust trying to up-sell, 

and some as honest as the day is long.

When the Mrs took her TT into Audi they claimed her brakes were 80% worn, when I challenged them (I had checked them before it went in) they back tracked and said they meant there was 80% left on them! 

Crooks :@

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Gizmo said:

When the Mrs took her TT into Audi they claimed her brakes were 80% worn, when I challenged them (I had checked them before it went in) they back tracked and said they meant there was 80% left on them! 

Crooks :@

1. Hey guys....Female Customer :excl:

2. Workshop tech verbal report to receptionist "Pads are at ......80%" having glanced at one wheel from 3 metres.:bandit:

3. Receptionist training kicks in, :dance: 1+2=£299 opportunity. :star: State with confidence "Pads 80% worn sir/madam" :bow: dept statistics prove 90% success rate in upsell :thumbup: higher if there is also a threat of MOT failure. :party:

• Like 1

My rear discs and pads were replaced under warranty at around 13 months and 12,000 miles.

Shocking.

They were just not wearing evenly for no reason, so the dealer readily agreed to replace them all.

Today they don't look very good at 18,000 miles and I feel a similar conversation is going to happen in the not too distant future.

ps - to be clear - the picture is before they were replaced in 2018. They are not quite so bad today.

Kodiaq Disc.JPG

Edited by BoxerBoy

The rear discs on my Roomster looked thin from new compared with the front discs. I know that only 20% braking energy is given to the rear wheels but more meat on rear discs would be give them more life. That of course is not in the manufacture's interest as they plan the rear discs to be knackered to coincide with the fronts. According to my dealer my discs were 44% worn at 28k so that is half worn to my calculations.

Edited by edbostan

It is clear from all the other threads complaining about the same ossue that Skoda brake discs and pads are bottom rung, rubbish quality.

Solution is clear, don't fit them.

Simple solution is source quality parts from the usual places, ECP etc. and get your garage, independent, Skoda, etc to fit. Or DIY.

Yes, My discs were showing the signs of a lip after 2000 miles. Every time the dealer sees the car it has become an advisory that the discs need replacing. Of course I ignore the advice as I am now on 30k with original discs and pads

• 3 years later...

What is it these days with brake discs? All dealers want to replace them after 5 minutes. My wife’s A3 had two disc replacement in first two years (first one at 6k. Second at under 20k). They failed it’s first  mot under 30k until I argued ,then it miraculously passed with no parts fitted. It sounds criminal to me. 
I had my rear pads replaced first time today on my karoq at 43k  at cost of £80 total in local TRUSTED garage. Was told front pads plenty life left and all discs fine . 
My  next door neighbor had one year old Volvo x40 in for service and was charged £1000 for all pads n discs replaced ( not under warranty). This is simply corrupt.

Asbestos use was banned in brake pads over 20 years ago now.  The modern, non-asbestos equivalents are much harder and more abrasive - not far off the hardness of the cast iron that the discs are made from.  Add to that, the increasing weight of cars and their higher performance, and that gives discs and pads a much harder time than old cars used to.  On top of that, brakes are highly safety-critical and rogue outfits know that everyone is talking about how quickly they wear out.  It's a "perfect storm" for the consumer and a perfect scam for the unscrupulous!

Sorry for jumping in on this topic, I need to replace my rear brake pads, 2018 1.4Tsi, and won’t be able to get hold of a code reader/scanner in time that puts the epb in service mode so that the piston can be squeezed back in. Has anybody changed the rear pads by using the method of removing the motor off the caliper and using a ratchet to wind the parking brake off manually?

Thanks. 

36 minutes ago, Rowls said:

Sorry for jumping in on this topic, I need to replace my rear brake pads, 2018 1.4Tsi, and won’t be able to get hold of a code reader/scanner in time that puts the epb in service mode so that the piston can be squeezed back in. Has anybody changed the rear pads by using the method of removing the motor off the caliper and using a ratchet to wind the parking brake off manually?

Thanks. 

Sorry, can't help with your question, but just wanted to say that you can get Carista from Amazon with next day delivery (depending on where you live, I guess) for £25. Can the job wait until tomorrow, for the sake of doing it right?

7 hours ago, Teir said:

Sorry, can't help with your question, but just wanted to say that you can get Carista from Amazon with next day delivery (depending on where you live, I guess) for £25. Can the job wait until tomorrow, for the sake of doing it right?

Thanks for the info. 

Guy at my work said he has an Autel Maxisys MS906 which he will lend me, and he has checked it has the epb function for kodiaq, so all good! 
Thanks. 

• Like 1