Any high mileage TSI engines out there ??

Pipes

Hi everyone,

Thinking about purchasing a hew superb but in a dilema regarding diesel or petrol.

I know the diesels will run forever but am a little nervous about buying one with all the bad press they are receiving these days (unfairly imo)

I only cover around 12k year with lots of small journeys so that is also a factor in the decision.

Due to the above i’m leaning more towards a petrol engine coupled to a manual gear box. (Not a fan of DSG sorry) 

Has anyone out there managed to put high mileages on either the 1.4 or 1.5 TSI engines ?  I’m sure if serviced correctly they should be more than capable but hearing actual real life mileages would increase (or decrease) my confidence in these engines.

Thanks everyone 

2 hours ago, Nick_H said:

Have you tried DSG ? Like you there was a time when I would have had an auto over my dead body. Never go back to a manual now ...

Hi, yes had an Octavia 1.4 TSI DSG but just missed having the old gear stick, nice car but unfortunately had an accident in it and it was a insurance write off. 

2 hours ago, Nick_H said:

Have you tried DSG ? Like you there was a time when I would have had an auto over my dead body. Never go back to a manual now ...

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Steviedakota said:

We have a manual and a dsg family. Both are very good, I like my manual but if I drove in town the DSG would be the better bet. Wife's 2016 dsg has 50,000km with no issues.

Thank you for your reply, much appreciated 

I have a manual diesel.  Wouldn't get a diesel for low mileages - mine does 20k plus a year.

I have driven a couple of DSGs (but not in Superbs) and like them but (personal preference) I wouldn't buy a DSG if it was a high mileage car on purchase or I was intending to run it to high mileage - they are complex beasts and there can be big bills.

I drove 52,000 miles in 15 months in a 1.0 TSI Fabia (DSG) with no problems. It was a brilliant engine/gearbox combo.

I mainly used it for motorway driving though. Including a couple pan European trips.

I mostly used super unleaded, it really didn't feel right with standard unleaded. So factor in using super unleaded to your costs. Tesco momentum 99 felt it performed well and was the best value.

I now have a 150 TDi Superb. Although I like the economy for such a big car, if I was only doing 12,000 miles per year like you, I wouldn't hesitate to get a TSI over the TDI. But you must also get DSG.

10 minutes ago, IJWS15 said:

I have a manual diesel.  Wouldn't get a diesel for low mileages - mine does 20k plus a year.

I have driven a couple of DSGs (but not in Superbs) and like them but (personal preference) I wouldn't buy a DSG if it was a high mileage car on purchase or I was intending to run it to high mileage - they are complex beasts and there can be big bills.

I have a DSG for a high mileage diesel. I extended the factory warranty to 100k and will buy a years extended warranty at 99k miles all because of the DSG.

When it goes wrong after that I'll just cry. And then get a new car.

pluses with petrol:
faster warm up;
less noise;
less smell behind you;
less smell on your hands after refill;
quicker accelerator response;

comfort isn't for free - price of mile:
+15% 1.5 TSI
+20% 1.8 TSI
+30% 2.0 TSI (my choice)
+35% 2.0 TSI 4x4

diesel has one plus:
it's less sensitive for increase count of passengers 

me too vote for DSG's comfort and performance

• Like 1

6 hours ago, tkn said:

I use the plastic gloves when I fill with diesel.

It's great not needing to do this though with a petrol pump. Especially since my local station doesn't seem keen on refilling them when they run out.

Edited by ahenners
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, tkn said:

I drove 52,000 miles in 15 months in a 1.0 TSI Fabia (DSG) with no problems. It was a brilliant engine/gearbox combo.

I mainly used it for motorway driving though. Including a couple pan European trips.

I mostly used super unleaded, it really didn't feel right with standard unleaded. So factor in using super unleaded to your costs. Tesco momentum 99 felt it performed well and was the best value.

I now have a 150 TDi Superb. Although I like the economy for such a big car, if I was only doing 12,000 miles per year like you, I wouldn't hesitate to get a TSI over the TDI. But you must also get DSG.

Thank you so much for your reply, that’s some milage in a short space of time ! Interesting that you used super unleaded.

11 hours ago, IJWS15 said:

Thanks for your reply, I agree with your long term DSG concerns

Don't bank on modern diesels lasting forever because of all the emissions equipment in there. 

Even at 12k miles per year, 5 years will only be 60k miles. Unless it's a dud design, any modern engines will last that. As for DSG, not sure about the dry clutch ones on smaller engines but the larger wet clutch units are generally good. 

With an annual mileage of 12,000 miles diesel should only be a consideration if you need the torque (towing, living up a mountain etc.).

Your short and infrequent journey types will kill a diesel, quicker than a petrol.

With your annual mileage, it'll be almost 10 years old before it hits 100,000 miles. At 10 years old it'll be electrical issues that'll secure its demise, well before mechanical or corrosion issues.

A modern TSI engine will suit you better!

I have a 1.4 TSi with a manual gearbox and do about  12k miles a year - I just like changing gear so DSG was never really a consideration :-)

It's a lovely smooth gearbox and works well with the engine. I have heard of some issues with the new 1.5 TSi + manual gearbox combo - so worth checking this has been sorted before ordering anything.

3 hours ago, JamKart said:

I have a 1.4 TSi with a manual gearbox and do about  12k miles a year - I just like changing gear so DSG was never really a consideration :-)

It's a lovely smooth gearbox and works well with the engine. I have heard of some issues with the new 1.5 TSi + manual gearbox combo - so worth checking this has been sorted before ordering anything.

Same here, out of interest to you get any kind of slight whining in first gear as the revs rise?  Usually the kind of noise you associate with reverse (though not as marked as that).

Re DSG's.

High mileages with a Wet Clutch DSG that gets the Oil Changes by the Guidelines / Schedules @ 40,000 miles is a non issue.

DQ200 DSG, 7 speed twin dry clutch DSG's are a different issue, but not one that should concern 2.0l TDI or TSI's, as they do not have q DQ200 DSG.

1.4 & 1.5 TSI's or some 1.8 TSI or 1.6TDI's with DQ200 DSG's is something a buyer of those might want to research a bit further.

2009-2012/13 Service Campaign '34F7',  2013-2015 '34H5', and 2015 -2018 some issues and TPI's, Clutch Pack Upgrades and Software Upgrades required by some a ongoing issue that many Dealership or Customer Services staff have never ever heard of.  Deaf, dumb and blind obviously.

3-monkeys-620x2401-620x240.jpg.0597dcccb1b603ee629f930dd02f3a1f.jpg

Edited by Skoffski

My local Skoda dealer told me my Superb 2.0TDI 150 7 speed DSG was a dry clutch. Is this incorrect? I thought it was a wet clutch.  

Interestingly, I know someone with a Tiguan 2.0TDI 170 (?or is it 190?) 7 speed DSG and when servicing, the VW dealer told them they had a dry clutch sealed for life gearbox.

@tkn, It was not correct.  Not a Twin Dry Clutch. 

Not on 2.0 TSI or TDI's.

No DQ200 DSG's fitted to cars with over 250Nm,  The Polo GTI 192 ps 1.8TSI DSG had a max 250Nm, & the Manual 320Nm. (supposedly, VW talk rubbish.)

What was their job in the dealership.  Maybe a salesperson so usual, the cleaner probably knows more than them.

Edited by Skoffski

14 hours ago, Skoffski said:

@tkn, It was not correct.  Not a Twin Dry Clutch. 

Not on 2.0 TSI or TDI's.

No DQ200 DSG's fitted to cars with over 250Nm,  The Polo GTI 192 ps 1.8TSI DSG had a max 250Nm, & the Manual 320Nm. (supposedly, VW talk rubbish.)

What was their job in the dealership.  Maybe a salesperson so usual, the cleaner probably knows more than them.

Apparently the salesperson checked with the service department.

In the VW Tiguan case, apparently the service department checked on the VW computer system which said dry clutch. Or at least that's what I was told!

So there's no dry clutch DSG's other than the DQ200?

• Like 1