No Throttle Response on startup

GeoffH

We've got a 1.5 SEL DSG, had it since Dec 18.

Had this Characteristic once so far I think in 1,500miles of driving.

Very Cold evening about a month ago, around 0 but with wind chill below this, snow etc.

Auto Hold On

Auto Start/Stop On

Stopped at T-junction, after about 1-2mins driving, auto Hold enabled as usual. Engine was running, idling at around 1000rpm.

When traffic was clear, tried to move off but any amount of throttle applied had no effect.

I then depressed the brake pedal a few times, as much as possible and then tried the throttle again. After this was able to pull away and had no further issues. Didn't need to start/stop the ignition.

YES!  This is what has happened to me on several occasions. It has happened to me at these temperatures as well as the last time when it was 8 degrees. My car was registered at about the same time give or take a day.... I wonder if it was a bad batch?!

4 hours ago, SKodaqSY said:

When traffic was clear, tried to move off but any amount of throttle applied had no effect.

I then depressed the brake pedal a few times, as much as possible and then tried the throttle again. After this was able to pull away and had no further issues. Didn't need to start/stop the ignition.

This might be a clue that the brake switch is incorrectly adjusted or sticking on. The ECU thinks the brake pedal is pressed and so doesn't allow revving.

• Like 1

I did experience something similar during the first 200 miles but since then I always switch the Stop/Start off and it has not happened again. The Auto handbrake has always remained ON

1.5 TSI SEL Manual

This happened to me for the first (and I hope the last) time a couple of days ago.

Cold engine, tried to drive out of my cul de sac but no throttle response. Happened again trying to pull out of side road to join main road and at a roundabout.

Returned to normal once engine at normal running temp.

1.5Tsi DSG.

:mad:

Happened to me 2/3 times in 5000km I have the car. 1,5 TSi DSG, Simillar to others, chilly morning, right after start, to me it was always in Reverse. 

really scary first time, I needed to reverse quickly as other car was approaching, and I was turning around. He fortunately had good breaks...

Since then, I'm the safest driver till the engine gets a bit warm.

Edited by Cvak
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Update.... yet again I had no throttle response having driven 1 mile and stopped to buy a paper.

Outside temperature 2.2 degrees.

I restarted, engaged Diive, released the footbrake and nothing happened. (No warning lights, auto handbrake on, stop start on.)

Rather than releasing the throttle and trying again I kept my foot to the floor (There was nothing in front of me!) ...... very slowly, after approximately 5 seconds, the power increased and I moved off. 

Skoda promise a software upgrade in Q2 but that could be June?  

I don’t want to go to a diesel but the Tiguan is looking more tempting as the problem persists! It’s a Motability vehicle and I don’t really want another “early termination of the lease” especially as it’s not my fault. 

Would you not be best to have Skoda Assist arrange delivery of a replacement car and uplift of that one until Skoda can apply a fix.

The car sounds very dangerous and should not be on the public road.

Skoda / VW know that which is why they are providing courtesy car.

I will be watching to see if 'Lifestyle' magazine from Motability prints any letters from those with cars with the issue if any write in.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

So, the issue with no throttle response is connected to too many electric devices together with cold start:
( and they are working on SW fix)

Škubání nic není...tohle je pecka:

Technická produktová informace
Číslo případu: 2053902/1
Motor sporadicky nereaguje na plynový pedál, závada P0506
Datum zveřejnění: 8.2.2019

Číslo revize TPI

Obsah / Předmět změny

2053902/1

První vydání

147006.jpg  Upozornění:

Obsah této tabulky se nemění, pokud je příčinou následující revize pouze změna v hlavičkových datech TPI.

Vyjádření zákazníka:

Po startu studeného motoru motor sporadicky nereaguje na sešlápnutí plynového pedálu.

K tomuto dochází zpravidla při aktivaci více elektrických spotřebičů (elektrické vyhřívání předního a zadního okna, sedaček apod.).

Zjištění dílny:

Vyjádření zákazníka lze reprodukovat.

V paměti řídicí jednotky motoru může být sporadická závada:

P0506 Regulace volnoběhu Otáčky pod požadovanou hodnotou

Technické pozadí

Odchylka SW ŘJ motoru.

Opatření

147005.jpg

Neprovádějte žádné opravy, na řešení se pracuje (nová verze SW).

Vymažte pouze závadu z paměti řídicí jednotky motoru.

Pokyny k vyúčtování

Kód závady / druh závady:

2470 / T202

Pracovní pozice:

Quick translation via Google:

Case number: 2053902/1
Motor does not respond to accelerator pedal, fault P05 06
Publication date: 8.2.2019
Customer Complaint:
•After starting a cold engine, the engine does not respond sporadically to the accelerator pedal being depressed.
•This usually occurs when multiple electrical appliances are activated (electric heated front and rear windows, seats, etc.).
Workshop Findings:
•Customer complaints can be reproduced.
•There may be a sporadic fault in the ECM memory: P0506 Idle Control Speed below setpoint
Measures/Action: Do not make any repairs, the solution is working (new SW version).
• Only clear the fault from the ECM memory.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 24/03/2019 at 09:53, TheRobinK said:

Quick translation via Google:

Case number: 2053902/1
Motor does not respond to accelerator pedal, fault P05 06
Publication date: 8.2.2019

Customer Complaint:
•After starting a cold engine, the engine does not respond sporadically to the accelerator pedal being depressed.
•This usually occurs when multiple electrical appliances are activated (electric heated front and rear windows, seats, etc.).
Workshop Findings:
•Customer complaints can be reproduced.
•There may be a sporadic fault in the ECM memory: P0506 Idle Control Speed below setpoint

Measures/Action: Do not make any repairs, the solution is working (new SW version).
• Only clear the fault from the ECM memory.

Interesting.....mine has had  the no throttle response  several times and on each occasion it has been within a few minutes of setting off on a cold day with probably several things on like heated seats, front and rear heated screens etc. Will try and replicate it tomorrow morning on my way to work.

Posting here as I have not yet seen a VW model reported issue.

4 Day old VW PASSAT Estate GT 1.5 TSi EVO DSG, got 20 meters this morning then went to pull out from junction absolutely nothing from the throttle.  Gear into park then back to drive, full throttle nothing, into park then turn off engine then on again then into drive and I have throttle again.

I had heated front and rear screens on, heated seats, heated mirrors.  Was in eco with auto start stop on and auto hold on (first time I have used these modes).

I have also seen on the Karoq 1.5 TSi you can hold the brake and put your foot to the floor on the accelerator and the car will not rev until you lift the brake, almost like a crude launch control, which makes me think it's the auto hold brake actually interfering with the throttle.

Either way I can't believe they have released a model(s) with such a glaring safety issue.  And all this after waiting 9 months for my car due to WLTP, emissions fiddling and generally VW completely failing, nice car aside from that.

On 02/04/2019 at 13:07, Markab said:

you can hold the brake and put your foot to the floor on the accelerator and the car will not rev until you lift the brake,

This has been normal behavior with most VAG cars for years. Even our old 2001 Octavia 1.4 cuts power if the brake is applied.

• 3 months later...
45 minutes ago, Roottootemoot said:

@GeoffH

Did i read in another thread that you no longer have this car?

Could you maybe update here for the sake of others having issues, if that was the reason you no longer have the Karoq?

thanks

George

I still have the car until next week when it goes. 

Its such a shame but I’ve had enough. 

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

I have a 2 weeks old Karoq 1.6 TDI DSG and happened once with engine hot, after 45+ mins driving. Was trying to merge in highway, when cleae to do so, pushed throttle and nothing happened.

No light blinking, engine running so start stop was not kicking in, level was horizontal so it would not have hill hold status. Very strange issue, hope it won't reappear