Varioflex seats

Karock

My first experience of folding the Varioflex rear seats completely forward.

There does not appear to be any way of securing the three seats when completely folded forward.  I set off with all three forward ready to pick up some tyres but before arriving while pulling away from a junction there was an almighty crash as the three seats lurched back to the semi folded position. I suppose they will need to be completely removed too avoid this in future. A strong canvas sheet was pierced in 6 places as the seat electrical connections made contact with the sockets.

13 minutes ago, Karock said:

My first experience of folding the Varioflex rear seats completely forward.

There does not appear to be any way of securing the three seats when completely folded forward.  I set off with all three forward ready to pick up some tyres but before arriving while pulling away from a junction there was an almighty crash as the three seats lurched back to the semi folded position. I suppose they will need to be completely removed too avoid this in future. A strong canvas sheet was pierced in 6 places as the seat electrical connections made contact with the sockets.

There are bungee type cords on the seats that fit onto the headrests, bit tight but they do work, have done that several times with no problems

I find the bungee cords very difficult to get round the headrest tubes and I am not weak. Poor design and will be having a word with the dealer asking them to try it themselves.

I have some chrome S hooks that I put

Round tubes first and then fit the pull out bungee.

Thanks for all your helpful replies.

Thanks Grumpy for the pages in the manual. I did find them eventually but probably missed them first time because they made no reference to " Securing rear seats in folded position"  The Owners manual is rather like a Chinese one in that the information is there but in a convoluted form and needs a bit of de-coding. It could be me of course having a " Senior moment"

www.bertram-hill.com

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Luckypants said:

I would have much preferred a standard split/fold rear bench type seat to the varioflex that came with the car.

May I please ask why you would have preferred a standard split/fold rear bench?  Thanks :thumbup:

13 minutes ago, Robjon said:

May I please ask why you would have preferred a standard split/fold rear bench?  Thanks :thumbup:

In my opinion safer in an accident, especially if well designed. Flat load floor when tipped forward (no catches etc). Proper arm rest. More compact when folded. Centre seat more 'in line' with other two. Ability to have load through arm-rest without the dogs escaping into the passenger compartment. Ability to fold from boot compartment.

Also I don't need the 'advantages' offered by Vario-flex, so prefer not to have them - especially if the car would have been cheaper without.

• Thanks 1

In the Yeti I'm not happy using the bungee cords. As said, too tight and the plastic gets marked (OCD I know!) where it rubs against the headrest uprights. The bungee for the centre seat is even tighter. Not so "Simply Clever" design - very poor in my book. I had the centre seat crash down when I was only walking from one side of the car to the other - I wasn't happy!

So what I do is put some of that non-slip material between the back of the front seats and the Varioflex seats and secure them using a couple of old ties I keep in the boot for that very purpose.

Edited by VAGCF

My SE has the “standard” rear seats and so far I have been quite happy with them. Rarely have back seat passengers but no complaints about comfort from them if I do. They are a lot quicker and easier to fold down than the varioflex seats but they don’t fold completely flat so you get less load space than you would in a higher spec model with varioflex seats removed completely.

For us it is the first time we've had a SUV and varioflex seats, I do find them heavy to lift in and out, husband mostly does that part.  Initially I thought it may be a gimmick but our seats have now been out a number of times over the year we have had the car, so that we can fit lots of bags of compost and manure in, fence posts, many a trip to the tip, and other DIY materials, our bungees are tight but not impossible to fit which I know others have had problems with.  When I was looking at replacing my car (smaller than the Karoq) I found that in the hatchbacks I looked at the rear seats didn't lift up so when you folded the seat backs down the space you expected to get was severely compromised and not as flexible as my 17 year old car, thankfully mine is not the one now taken to the tip hence I give the varioflex seats :thumbup:  :giggle:

What is great though is that there are so many different cars out there that we can mostly pick and choose to suit our needs.

Edited by womanofkent

I’d like to ask a question about varioflex seats.

what is the measurement between the B post and the edge of the seat when it is in the rearmost position?

i currently have a Leon, but am looking for something easier for my 84 year old Mother in Law to get in. On the Leon there is 280mm, she struggles to get her legs into the car, I’m hoping there is more space in the Karoq.

Hi there,

Unfortunately I measured only 260mm with the seat at its rearmost. Perhaps the standard (non Varioflex) seats will have more room.

1.5 TSI Manual SEL

www.bertram-hill.com

10 hours ago, R22JGB said:

I’d like to ask a question about varioflex seats.

what is the measurement between the B post and the edge of the seat when it is in the rearmost position?

i currently have a Leon, but am looking for something easier for my 84 year old Mother in Law to get in. On the Leon there is 280mm, she struggles to get her legs into the car, I’m hoping there is more space in the Karoq.

My previous car was a Leon ST (2015) and the space between the seats is about the same BUT the Varioflex does sit a little bit further forward, making the door opening appear a little bit smaller. The higher seat does make it easier for elderly folk to get in and out BUT room to swing legs is definitely a little less than on my previous Leon. If a bigger door opening is key, maybe look at the Kodiaq? They are huge in the rear seat.

I am currently on my second Yeti and collect my Karoq this week. Varioflex seating is one of the reasons I have stayed with the Skoda range. They have proved so flexible and yes lifting them in and out may seem heavy but you do get used to the best way of lifting and handling them in time. I particularly like the fact that you can remove the centre seat and leave the two outer seats fitted, makes for roomy comfortable travelling with just 4 adults. The bungees have always worked well for me keeping the seats up and have never marked the leather upholstery permenantly. I am looking forward to comparing the Karoq set up compared to the Yeti, my biggest regret is that I will no longer be able to use my internal bike rack.

• Like 2