Default driving mode change on MY19 [NOT solved]

My MY19 Octavia does the same going back to normal on start up. I wonder if it is due to it being fitted with the new 7 speed box?

I will play around & ask if this can be changed as like others it is a pain.

• 4 weeks later...
On 17/03/2019 at 22:40, newbie69 said:

That it maybe does not make owners happy is another matter. I turn off and on several times a day and I am also not excited about having to select Individual mode every time, but now I know it's a VCDS setting I need to locate, not take it back to Skoda for warranty work.

My thoughts exactly. I'm glad I found this thread. My previous car (MY2016 Octavia Scout) retained the previously selected drive mode (usually I default to E with auto stop turned off) when turning the ignition back on. My current car (MY2019) Kodiaq reverts to Normal mode which I am finding increasingly irritating when doing journeys involving more than one stop-start.

To add to the irritation, it often requires multiple presses of the Mode Select button to bring up the infotainment system menu which allows the different mode to be selected, and when it does work, there seems to be an unreasonably long delay.

A colleague has VCDS with a genuine Ross Tech cable to allow ECU adaptation settings to be changed so I could change it if I wanted.

Thanks

Doug

Edited by --Doug--
Additional information added.
  • Like 1

On 06/07/2019 at 09:04, Busamad said:

My MY19 Octavia does the same going back to normal on start up. I wonder if it is due to it being fitted with the new 7 speed box?

I will play around & ask if this can be changed as like others it is a pain.

No, it's linked to the 7 speed Box. I have the same setting on my DSG6.

On 31/07/2019 at 14:47, --Doug-- said:

My thoughts exactly. I'm glad I found this thread. My previous car (MY2016 Octavia Scout) retained the previously selected drive mode (usually I default to E with auto stop turned off) when turning the ignition back on. My current car (MY2019) Kodiaq reverts to Normal mode which I am finding increasingly irritating when doing journeys involving more than one stop-start.

To add to the irritation, it often requires multiple presses of the Mode Select button to bring up the infotainment system menu which allows the different mode to be selected, and when it does work, there seems to be an unreasonably long delay.

A colleague has VCDS with a genuine Ross Tech cable to allow ECU adaptation settings to be changed so I could change it if I wanted.

Thanks

Doug

Well, if you do find something please share it here. It's one of the very few niggles I have about the car and I have ended up sticking with Normal most of the time just because I do a lot of start-stop during my drives and I can't be bothered re-pressing the Mode button while rushing, checking the road, talking to the little one at the back etc. etc. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Came here to find a solution to this problem, but just seems to be lots of people with the same gripe!

My MY15 Octavia remembers the previous Driving Mode, but my new MY19 Kodiaq doesn't, even with key personalisation.  Surely there's a way to fix this?

Just got my L&K facelift, very disappointed to find that this is indeed the case. If anything, surely the default should be ECO in this day and age but then again perhaps many would be annoyed if that were the case.

• 3 months later...
On 30/09/2019 at 07:22, Dalryk said:

Came here to find a solution to this problem, but just seems to be lots of people with the same gripe!

My MY15 Octavia remembers the previous Driving Mode, but my new MY19 Kodiaq doesn't, even with key personalisation.  Surely there's a way to fix this?

Buy an old Skoda. Simply clever not. My 2019 Superb also always starts in Normal mode and every time I have to select Eco even with the 3 personalisation keys which wasn't the case on my previous 2017 Vrs245 with 3 keys.

2 hours ago, newbie69 said:

I'm going to try and find out if the same behaviour is true on VW MQB's of MY19-20, curious to see what's the case. I'd be surprised if it was a Skoda issue exclusively.

Thought you deserved to join the Swedish 1,000 point club (probably not many members).

7 hours ago, newbie69 said:

I'm going to try and find out if the same behaviour is true on VW MQB's of MY19-20, curious to see what's the case. I'd be surprised if it was a Skoda issue exclusively.

VW has the same thing too.  

I've seen Arteon, Golf MK7.5 and Passat B8 users ask/complain about the driving mode.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, JR RS said:

VW has the same thing too.  

I've seen Arteon, Golf MK7.5 and Passat B8 users ask/complain about the driving mode.

Thanks for saving me the trouble JR! More chances that someone cracks it then eventually...

I can confirm that my brand new Skoda Superb 4x4 272 with DSG will revert to driving mode Normal after ignition has been turned off and on again. 

Skoda Denmark said it was supposed to be that way, but was not able to explain why. 

Not happy with that answer 😪

Is there anyway we can put some pressure on Skoda??

Funny fact is it seems to remember the previous driving mode until the car is started, let me explain.

Below link to small video:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/Hwicvf8wZWTs4JMU9

1. Stopping car in Comfort mode (blue theme)
  2. Ignition off (blue theme)
  3. Leaving and closing the car 
  4. Opening and entering the car (blue theme)
  5. Turning on ignition (blue theme)
  6. Start the car reverts to Normal (white theme)

• Like 1

11 hours ago, SemperArden said:

Is there anyway we can put some pressure on Skoda??

+1

interesting, why tread title has got "[SOLVED]" mark?
when it must be [developed by VAG's idiots]

the same i can say about drive mode/gear number symbol on the Maxidot

5a409e5s-960.jpg
dealer also answered, supposed to be that way, your car now is unique as none around
https://www.drive2.com/l/488404990277189880/

and there is another option which disappears after Off/On

20200112_204512_4MP.thumb.jpg.5ebc7bd35401334e80b84301e0dec02d.jpg

I just got my 2020 Kodiaq (1.5l / 150 HP petrol engine, DSG).  It has the same award behavior as described here  - no matter what drive mode I select, it will return to "normal" (D) for the next trip.  All other settings  (seat position, radio channels, mirrors etc) are nicely restored when selecting the driver profile or using the  associated key.   I don't buy the Skoda explanation that this was for safety reasons. My 2013 Golf (1.4 TSI / 140 HP, DGS) always "remembered" the last drive mode (in my case ECO) for any subsequent trip. Why can't Skoda do the same? Or why does Skoda see "safety issues" while VW doesn't? I just hope that someone from Skoda reads this and we get this solved with a SW update.  Aside from this - I'm happy with the car. Noticed some cheaper materials vs my old Golf but this is a fair compromise given what I saved compared to the similar VW Tiguan. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, DiWo said:

... I just hope that someone from Skoda reads this and we get this solved with a SW update. 

I sincerely hope someone from Skoda will read this and listen to our request.

I am really disappointed with the feedback form Skoda Denmark.

I think it will be difficult to make Skoda aware of the request if we are not getting past front desk support.

Can we somehow unite and make an official request?

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 03/06/2020 at 08:40, newbie69 said:

I wanted to come back to this as it's annoying me lately. Has anyone checked whether this behavior is the same on Golfs, Leons, Passats, etc. of MY2019+ ?  

I have a Golf 7.5 (manufactured in 2019) and a Skoda Octavia (also manufactured in 2019)... the Skoda always defaults to Normal. The Golf sticks with the driving mode you were in before. The only time the Golf changes anything is if you were in Race mode and had the DSG box was in Sports mode the car will restart without Sports mode. This, in my opinion, is the optimal behaviour.

I find it frustrating that I can't change the default from Normal to Comfort or Individual if an individual profile has been configured. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, EkilErif said:

I have a Golf 7.5 (manufactured in 2019) and a Skoda Octavia (also manufactured in 2019)... the Skoda always defaults to Normal. The Golf sticks with the driving mode you were in before. The only time the Golf changes anything is if you were in Race mode and had the DSG box was in Sports mode the car will restart without Sports mode. This, in my opinion, is the optimal behaviour.

I find it frustrating that I can't change the default from Normal to Comfort or Individual if an individual profile has been configured. 

That's great news, we just need some VCDS guru to look into this and find out which adaptation controls the starting mode.  @Gizmo ? @mtl ? Any ideas where could we at least have a look by browsing available adaptations?