Brexit petition

1 hour ago, CWARD said:

You only had two candidates! No Lib Dem, Green or independent?

If you name the MP that was voted in, you can see how they’ve voted and many haven’t on party lines or the way their constituents had in the referendum, remain or leave. 

Only 42.4% of those who voted voted for the Con Party. How does that constitute a mandate for following through on the result of a non-binding consulational referendumb?

Or is that democracy because Mayhem is doing what you want rather than what is best for the nation?

• Like 2

Re the petition this thread was about.

All the dodgy signing will be arriving. British Citizens / residents with a right to vote and a postcode and email address and not even the need to be on the electoral roll or actually exist.

Edited by Skoffski

The government repeatedly claims exiting the EU is 'the will of the people'.

Well... isn't it? Isn't a referendum exactly that?

Furthermore, invoking article 50 is not equal to remaining in the EU. The EU must agree unanimously to that. Last time I've checked there was no way the EU will accept that. You'll have to thank to your government for being incapable to reach a good deal. The EU got you by the balls. I bet it hurts but what goes around comes around...

2 minutes ago, RicardoM said:

The EU got you by the balls.

They have now our useless MP's have handed them over on a plate...

50 minutes ago, RicardoM said:

Furthermore, invoking article 50 is not equal to remaining in the EU. The EU must agree unanimously to that. Last time I've checked there was no way the EU will accept that. You'll have to thank to your government for being incapable to reach a good deal. The EU got you by the balls. I bet it hurts but what goes around comes around...

the problem is all that the people said was that they wanted to leave. No one discussed how. Well, Nigel Farage, Dan Hannan etc all went on about Norway (ie a customs union), several said "no one is talking about leaving the customs union" etc. Then the PM decided that was what everyone wanted and decided to go for it. She could just as easily have decided they all wanted to invade France or goodness knows what else. She just made it up. That I'm afraid is at the root of the whole problem. Instead of trying to work out what would be a good compromise between the 52% and the  48% she made up here own vision and went for it. Now no one likes it. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, expostmanpat said:

17.4 million voted to leave, 30 million didnt. Democracy? Heading to a 3rd vote on Mays deal the same vote over again, democracy? Vote leave have been fined umpteem times now for illeagal electioneering but still they say it is the eill of the people, democracy? They say 85 % of mps were voted into power on a brexit manifesto, but all the main parties and all the possibles in some constituancies were on a brexit manifesto, democracy?   

My arse. 

1 hour ago, expostmanpat said:

Certainly, oh wait, we do get to vote again every few years at another election, even though the current mp was voted in democratically. Suppose that is in case people change their minds when they see the balls up that is being made. 

1 hour ago, Lee01 said:

No need. You get one in 2022. Unless this coup continues or unless May abandons the fixed five years after saying there won't be a GE again and again.

We had a referendum in 1975 to join the EC.  I was too young as were many millions more to vote but we didn't re-run the referendum so lets put that nonsense to bed as the reason for a Peoples Vote, we had that in 2016.

Single European Act in 1986. We had no referendum before signing it like many other members did.

Maastricht Treaty in 1992. We had no referendum before signing it like many other members did.

Treaty of Amsterdam in 1998. We had no referendum before signing it like many other members did.

Treaty of Nice in 2001. We had no referendum before signing it like many other members did.

Treaty of Lisbon in 2007.  We had no referendum before signing it like many other members did.

44 years since the people of the UK last had a say, now you're telling me it's not democratic and it maybe a while before you get chance to have another referendum on joining the EU. Really quite pathetic.  

1 hour ago, KenONeill said:

Only 42.4% of those who voted voted for the Con Party. How does that constitute a mandate for following through on the result of a non-binding consulational referendumb?

Or is that democracy because Mayhem is doing what you want rather than what is best for the nation?

https://fullfact.org/europe/did-majority-conservative-and-labour-constituencies-vote-leave-eu-referendum/

1 minute ago, KenONeill said:

Irrelevant; Mayhem did not have a majority of either the total plebiscite or the UK constituencies.

Not irrelevant as the majority of constituencies voted to leave. Labour tried to make it about getting into power without being constructive other than to say they wanted a deal were they got to have the cake and eat it. As has been evident in parliament the Tories wanting to remain have frustrated the process and held May to account constantly. It's been far from a one sided process, hence the mess we're in now.

We're a nation divided.

You can even see it here.

Those who lost can see reasonable reasons to rerun, those who won see that as an attack on democracy. Both are valid and intractable.

Last days of the empire folks before a rapid decent into ignominy. Boris et all have told us to jump off the cliff and not to worry because with their help we'll fly. Except they've all gone, disappeared up their own backsides

Bilbo had it right. "I regret to announce — this is The End"

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lee01 said:

How many from where?
Interactive petition map

https://petitionmap.unboxedconsulting.com/?petition=241584

Never seen that before but hover around the map and it's surprising just how low the figures are as nowhere yet as managed to reach 4% of the constituents yet. Best sign the petition for a third and fourth time.

1 minute ago, CWARD said:

Never seen that before but hover around the map and it's surprising just how low the figures are as nowhere yet as managed to reach 4% of the constituents yet. Best sign the petition for a third and fourth time.

It's on the petition. Take a third or fourth look.

1 hour ago, Lee01 said:

How many from where?
Interactive petition map

https://petitionmap.unboxedconsulting.com/?petition=241584

Be interesting to see an overlay with referendum results 

1 hour ago, RicardoM said:

The UK can legally revoke Article 50 without EU approval 

• Like 1

Just now, gadgetman said:

Be interesting to see an overlay with referendum results 

The UK can legally revoke Article 50 without EU approval 

I was having a quick look earlier. Notice the low numbers on the East coast (Skeggy, Lincoln, Norfolk etc and also in Yorks)