The Official Brexit Thread - The Transition Period.

john999boy

7 hours ago, Ryeman said:

Blaming the the other side for your own failures is, sadly, a very Anglo skill  - Johnson and Trump are experts in the blame game.

The rest of your post is factually incorrect but this bit is right.

It emanates from our failures in sport; we lost but it was never because we just weren't good enough.......the penalty spot wasn't bright enough, the corner flag was in the wrong place, that sort of thing.

This summer's cricket has been glorious.....Steve Smith shouldn't even be playing for Australia, he should have been banned for life for cheating blah blah.  The same people shouting loudest are the ones who would never google "Mike Atherton dirt in pocket", for example, because "ah but that was different". 🙄

To finish with a smile: how can you tell when a plane full of Poms lands in Sydney?  The whining goes on long after the engines have stopped.

Useful site to help people plan for BREXIT in relation to food, obtaining it before and after BREXIT and those business who may look to continue to trade in food post-BREXIT.....

https://brexitfoodhub.co.uk/what-do-i-need-to-know/ 

If the UK leaves without a deal, everything will change. We will no longer have tariff free or friction-less access to the EU Single Market or be able to claim EU origin or compliance for goods we export to non-EU destinations. We will effectively lose any preferential status deriving from EU membership and have to commence trading under so-called WTO rules, complete with relevant border controls.

This will affect:

• Imports
  • Exports
  • Certification and recognition of standards
  • Labelling & health marks
  • Transport and logistics
  • Free movement and employment

This site provides quick links to a range of (UK and EU) Government advice, as well as the expertise of UK Food and Agriculture partner organisations, who are pooling their resources to provide answers to Frequently Asked Questions.

Many of the partner pages also contain check lists of actions which it may be helpful to consult before continuing to explore this site:

10 minutes ago, lol-lol said:

Useful site to help people plan for BREXIT in relation to food, obtaining it before and after BREXIT and those business who may look to continue to trade in food post-BREXIT.....

https://brexitfoodhub.co.uk/what-do-i-need-to-know/ 

If the UK leaves without a deal, everything will change. We will no longer have tariff free or friction-less access to the EU Single Market or be able to claim EU origin or compliance for goods we export to non-EU destinations. We will effectively lose any preferential status deriving from EU membership and have to commence trading under so-called WTO rules, complete with relevant border controls.

This will affect:

• Imports
  • Exports
  • Certification and recognition of standards
  • Labelling & health marks
  • Transport and logistics
  • Free movement and employment

This site provides quick links to a range of (UK and EU) Government advice, as well as the expertise of UK Food and Agriculture partner organisations, who are pooling their resources to provide answers to Frequently Asked Questions.

Many of the partner pages also contain check lists of actions which it may be helpful to consult before continuing to explore this site:

Project Fear Mk.....what is it upto now, 3 or 4?

You forgot things like British planes not being able to land in Europe, soccer teams being unable to compete in European tournaments...... 🙄

2 hours ago, SkodaVRS1963 said:

Project Fear Mk.....what is it upto now, 3 or 4?

You forgot things like British planes not being able to land in Europe, soccer teams being unable to compete in European tournaments...... 🙄

Have you not seen posts from Lol-lol before. He’s a complete contradiction to his user name and only does doom and gloom. 

47 minutes ago, CWARD said:

Have you not seen posts from Lol-lol before. He’s a complete contradiction to his user name and only does doom and gloom. 

My brother in law is from a little village in Worcestershire (where lol-lol allegedly emanates).

Not a single non-white face there. 

Not a single non-indigenous resident.

Not a single person walking down the lanes gabbling away in a language that isn't understandable.

It really is a totally different world to the one in which the rest of us live.  So I kind of sympathise with lol-lol because he/she genuinely has no clue about the plight of your average Brit......as per my brother in law, as long as he can pitch up at his friendly local on an evening, have a game of cribbage with a couple of ladies from the local WI and then wander back home nice and safely without *any* fear of being mugged then all is right in good old Blighty.

Do you know, my brother in law has never tasted Chinese food for the simple reason that the village doesn't possess such a takeaway?

And these people's vote carries exactly the same weight as mine FFS!

Edited by SkodaVRS1963
spelling

This site is rubbish, nothing on how long spam lasts for or where to stockpile your medicine...
https://www.gov.uk/get-ready-brexit-check

Gove has launched his wrexit 'preparedness' propaganda today (Sunday 1/9).
https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-49545743?ns_mchannel=social&ns_campaign=bbcnews&ns_source=twitter&ocid=socialflow_twitter

69296039_10158643287078368_1249726279297531904_n.jpg

• Like 1

A cabinet minister's claim that there will be "no shortages of fresh food" after a no-deal Brexit has been disputed as "categorically untrue" by a major trade body.

https://news.sky.com/story/brexit-claim-of-no-fresh-food-shortages-after-no-deal-categorically-untrue-11799840

Guest BigJase88
4 hours ago, Ryeman said:

Boris under threat -

Bloody hell not again

I think you might actually be this boring Phil fella?

Anyways good plan from Boris this morning on the radio 😎

19 hours ago, SkodaVRS1963 said:

My brother in law is from a little village in Worcestershire (where lol-lol allegedly emanates).

Not a single person walking down the lanes gabbling away in a language that isn't understandable.

It really is a totally different world to the one in which the rest of us live.  So I kind of sympathise with lol-lol because he/she genuinely has no clue about the plight of your average Brit......as per my brother in law, as long as he can pitch up at his friendly local on an evening, have a game of cribbage with a couple of ladies from the local WI and then wander back home nice and safely without *any* fear of being mugged then all is right in good old Blighty.

Do you know, my brother in law has never tasted Chinese food for the simple reason that the village doesn't possess such a takeaway?

Sounds idyllic, what are house prices like?

21 hours ago, SkodaVRS1963 said:

Yes as they rightly should, my response would be the same if they were writing about you.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Chorlton said:

Sounds idyllic, what are house prices like?

Not too bad. Bought my 4 bedroom detached in 1997 for £93k and a similar one went a few weeks ago for £311k.  

Neighbours are an Indian Businessman on one side and a Sudanese doctor on the other.

Great Chinese restaurant and take-aways multi outlet group run by nice fellow called Frankie and one of the best Indian (of course they are really Bangladeshi like they mostly are) called Masala in town, top service, very reasonable.

Two hours to my office in London, similar to Manchester, Cardiff, Cambridge where I also have offices so great connectivity.  Best of both world ie a London salary but country living !! 

Any road, back to BREXIT. Pound down to nearly 1.2 so imports and shop prices not looking good......

image.png.b1f330ce3d3ab2fb7d50b37adbc4cd32.png   

Naughty, naughty. Somebody's been using their works computers to do background checks on their neighbours!!

Any inkling on how the Sudanese, Indian and Bangladeshis feel about having a Scandinavian neighbour in their midst?

16 hours ago, Lee_Esq said:

One vote, one voice. Or do you feel you're more superior and think your vote should count more?

Nothing to do with superiority and everything to do with common sense.

For example, why should someone who has never worked a day in their life get to vote for a party that promises to increase income tax by 20% and give all of the extra revenue to those who don't work?

A genuine question.

If you live in "a white bubble" as my brother-in-law does, how would you have the slightest inking as to the plight of your average inner-city citizen?

I'm not trying to be controversial here, it's just plain common sense.........we had Polish neghbours a few years ago and they do like to play loud music at unearthly hours.  When the PM of the day stands up at PMQs and says "hey, before we start, I just want to say I didn't get much sleep last night, the neighbours next door were having a party so forgive me if my answers are crap" then I'll believe that the system is working.

10 minutes ago, SkodaVRS1963 said:

Nothing to do with superiority and everything to do with common sense.

For example, why should someone who has never worked a day in their life get to vote for a party that promises to increase income tax by 20% and give all of the extra revenue to those who don't work?

A genuine question.

If you live in "a white bubble" as my brother-in-law does, how would you have the slightest inking as to the plight of your average inner-city citizen?

I'm not trying to be controversial here, it's just plain common sense.........we had Polish neghbours a few years ago and they do like to play loud music at unearthly hours.  When the PM of the day stands up at PMQs and says "hey, before we start, I just want to say I didn't get much sleep last night, the neighbours next door were having a party so forgive me if my answers are crap" then I'll believe that the system is working.

I suggest there are two different issues here:

1) should all citizens above a certain age have the right to vote?

2) should all citizens with the right to vote be sufficiently aware of the societal issues in play to use their vote in an informed manner?

We know the answer to 1) is yes for the UK, as anyone 18 or above (not sure if there are any medical or criminal exceptions nowadays?) who has registered to vote may do so.

As far as the answer to 2) is concerned, in an ideally operating democracy all would be interested and willing to inform themselves of the issues in play and to apply their votes appropriately.  In reality, this clearly does not happen.

I'd suggest the effort should be applied to educating and motivating the voting populace to use their vote effectively rather than ruling them out because their views or informedness (is that a word?) do not meet some arbitrary levels applied by third parties.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, StickyMicky said:

I'd suggest the effort should be applied to educating and motivating the voting populace to use their vote effectively rather than ruling them out because their views or informedness (is that a word?) do not meet some arbitrary levels applied by third parties.

A minimum IQ perhaps?

I've postulated that view before and been shot down in flames.........

14 hours ago, Lee_Esq said:

It must be some kind of record for politicians to create so many different options from a single binary question.

"Should the United Kingdom remain a member of the European Union or leave the European Union?" was the question asked at the time.

Despite all of the linguistic contortions that Remainers have indulged in since June 2016, there is only one style of Brexit: 51.8% voted to "leave the European Union".

Why in September 2019 is there still a debate going on?

Am I missing something?

The Government of the day must either (a) carry out the wishes of those who voted in the aforesaid referendum (i.e leave) or (b) accept the consequences of not doing so.

And, with regards to (b), I am a white male who has been employed continuously since leaving school in 1980 and who hasn't received so much as a parking ticket.

But cross me on the referendum result and I'll be out on the streets of Westminster with my pitchfork and torch.  Traitor's Cloister might need to start advertising for new staff......

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, SkodaVRS1963 said:

Despite all of the linguistic contortions that Remainers have indulged in since June 2016, there is only one style of Brexit: 51.8% voted to "leave the European Union".

Why in September 2019 is there still a debate going on?

Because the majority of leave voters voted leave on the basis of falsehoods peddled by Boris etc that nothing would change to day to day life except we'd be out of the EU. 

Even Farage has since 2016 gone from wanting to remain in the EEA to wanting complete out. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, gadgetman said:

Because the majority of leave voters voted leave on the basis of falsehoods peddled by Boris etc that nothing would change to day to day life except we'd be out of the EU. 

Even Farage has since 2016 gone from wanting to remain in the EEA to wanting complete out. 

Did you not read the Project Fear documents issued (at a cost to the taxpayer of £9.3m)?

They voted on the crap that Cameron peddled in those documents (how many nurses or police officers would that £9.3m buy?).

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, SkodaVRS1963 said:

They voted on the crap that Cameron peddled in those documents (how many nurses or police officers would that £9.3m buy?).

If you're so concerned about nurses and police officers, are you not a teeny bit angry at the £Billions being spent to mitigate the disaster that will come from the sunlit uplands?
Brexit is supposed to make things better, not worse!
Oh, and 'project fear' was the dark ads and Farage telling us that 000's of migrants were going to flood the UK.
Here's pretty much every mind-altering ad they used https://www.parliament.uk/documents/commons-committees/culture-media-and-sport/Fake_news_evidence/Vote-Leave-50-Million-Ads.pdf

3 hours ago, SkodaVRS1963 said:

I'm not trying to be controversial here, it's just plain common sense.........we had Polish neighbours a few years ago and they do like to play loud music at unearthly hours.  When the PM of the day stands up at PMQs and says "hey, before we start, I just want to say I didn't get much sleep last night, the neighbours next door were having a party so forgive me if my answers are crap" then I'll believe that the system is working.

As I only infrequently visit this thread, maybe I've missed something but I'm not too sure of the relevance of Polish neighbours being antisocial when it could easily have been said about ANY other nationality.

Brexit will not suddenly make make people more respectful of their neighbours will it.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1