SDI sudden loss of power

SkUG

Went to drive to work today after not having driven the slug for a few days (4) and it seems to have lost all power (the little half hearted power that it had to start off with) feels abit like the brakes are on (checked and they're not even warm - new brakes all round this past year) managed to almost stall at the lights, struggled to get it upto motorway speeds - seemed louder too (maybe my imagination) and smelt kinda hot when stopped, even though temp guage said normal...

any ideas?

helped abit but still feels underpowered... not sure what could have happened overnight... (only changed air n fuel filters)

Edited by SkUG

nope, had same fuel in there for a few weeks now... normally put £15 worth very two weeks... last time i accidently put 1ltr of petrol in... it went like a rocket! (have changed filters twice and 20k miles since)

Are the revs going up as high as usual or is it restricted? This could be a fuel pump issue, not delivering enough to push the revs up or respond to the throttle position. That's given me a second thought re the throttle itself but I can't remember how it works.

hard to explain... put foot flat to floor and it slowly speeds up, (slower than usual) takes alot longer to get higher revs than normal, but will reach higher revs and seems louder (maybe going mad)

Given that the SDI is basically a PD engine without a turbo, it uses unit injectors in the same way and relies upon the tandem pump to supply fuel from the filter bowl to the injectors, check that the tank lift pump is keeping the fuel bowl full, check that the fuel filter is not clogged, check that air is not being drawn in through a leaking pipe union and make sure the air filter is clean.

• Confused 1

5 minutes ago, sepulchrave said:

Given that the SDI is basically a PD engine without a turbo, it uses unit injectors in the same way and relies upon the tandem pump to supply fuel from the filter bowl to the injectors, check that the tank lift pump is keeping the fuel bowl full, check that the fuel filter is not clogged, check that air is not being drawn in through a leaking pipe union and make sure the air filter is clean.

This is not true, the SDI does not have unit injectors. There is a single injection pump delivering through separate pipes to each injector

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, peter3197 said:

This is not true, the SDI does not have unit injectors. There is a single injection pump delivering through separate pipes to each injector

My apologies, it is as you describe, however the checklist I provided is nonetheless applicable.

just put a new air and fuel filter in... just now... (see above) -

no fuel bowl.. they even have those nowadays?

best way to check for air leaks?

Edited by SkUG

not sure why i didnt find this when i searched within the forum (found it via google) sounds similar to whats happened to mine..... anyone know where that wire is / picture of it? (will check it tomorrow - its gone dark)

possibililty - is the alternator belt tensioner part of the timing? tensioner has been squeeking for far too long....

was planning on putting an uprated alternator to run a few subwoofers so havent got around to fixing that (any suggestions on a side note)

(been fixing broken electric windows on beetles and on the fabia trying to get the doors to lock/unlock & save weight for motorways journeys by removing rear seats, and making some garden furniture and planning a wedding!!

suspension clonks when turning the wheels, recon its the top shock mounts.... and now my rear shocks are leaking! ugh it never rains but it pours

36 minutes ago, SkUG said:

just put a new air and fuel filter in... just now... (see above) -

no fuel bowl.. they even have those nowadays?

best way to check for air leaks?

Fuel bowl is where the filter element goes.

Just check that all the fuel hoses are correctly refitted and tightly clamped.

Worth chasing up that wiring fault though.

oh thats all built in to the filter, just plug and play... a fuel bowl to me is a glass bowl you can look through and see if theres fuel and sediement in there (like in my old triumph gt6)

all pipes have just been refitted few hours ago... didnt seem to fix the issue, but on plus side one less thing i've been meaning to do for ages.... ticked off the list

how to check for air leaks? i know on my old bikes i used to spray "engine start" on the areas it could be leaking and listen for increase in rpm... don't have any to hand at the moment... if it was blowin i'd try fairy liquid but its probably gonna be sucking air in

Cant tell if it's gone visually - will put new one in tomorrow, on a side note my reverse lights are no longer working.... Coincidence or bad earth on gearbox?

1 hour ago, SkUG said:

Cant tell if it's gone visually - will put new one in tomorrow, on a side note my reverse lights are no longer working.... Coincidence or bad earth on gearbox?

Might be the reversing light switch in the gearbox. Sometimes the wires break at the connector plug too.

Edited by TMB

I'm assuming by the pump comments above that the SDI is a VE pump engine. If so it will have a pump like the one pictured below. Follow the wrapped wired that come out of the black box on the front of the pump and the will go down to a ten pin plug which then connects to a ten pin plug into the engine loom. I would be thinking that one of those was the wire talked about in the post you referenced. Probably in the first couple of inches on the loom side of that plug.

A scan with VCDS should show faults.

VEpump.jpg

Edited by LB123
  • Like 1

fuse was ok, been pouring all afternoon so didnt get a chance to check under the car... im hoping its a break in the cables... already replaced the load sensor cable twice (guy installing my new clutch broke it!)

Anyone tried putting some self amalgimating tape on the pipes? id imagine that would seal any leaks? if any.. (don't think there are any) but its gotta be chaeper than buyin new ones "just incase"?

If i've not said it alerady - thanks for all the help so far... i hope we can fix this! (Don't fancy buying another car !)

Plugged car in.. Only fault is intermittent battery voltage - aka squeaky belt - will post pictures after work...  pipes look pretty perished... Slight suckin noise - never listened to fuel filter before so unsure if usual??  Hopefully just bad cable or change of pipes! 

If it ever stops rainin I'll check the cables, meanwhile...  Where's best place to source diesel pipe (gonna replace it anyway as a matter of course) and is there a special way to bleed the system or is it same as when you change the filter - aka fill it to the top then join everything up?