Electric mirrors linked?

I’ve recently noticed that if I adjust my right wing mirror (happens quite a lot as the wife is much shorter than me), the left also moves. But if I adjust the left, it works normally. 

Clearly  I can get around this by adjusting the right first and then correcting the left but just wondered what’s causing it and if there’s an easy fix?

Ta! 

(Car is a 2008 Octavia 4x4 estate) 

It is a change that can be done by VCDS, it was 10 years before I discovered why the NS mirror was always out of adjustment, why they should program it as a default on the MK2 is beyond my comprehension or even why it should be an option.

Cant be changed on my Maxidot cluster unless I have yet to find it but mine is an earlier vehicle.

Edited by J.R.

The logic behind it is that if you wish to temporarily move the mirrors, for example while reversing and want to view both rear wheels, you only have to move the mirror on one side to achieve it. More importantly, when you return the mirror to its normal position, both mirrors are reset without wasting time having to adjust both separately.

I find the logic works well providing you can remember which one to select!

• Like 1

I remember when reading about the standard behaviour of moving both mirrors at the same time, I thought "why would anybody want to do that?"

First thing I did when I bought my car was make sure that was turned off :D

Imagine not knowing about it for say 8 years, being convinced that someone is moving your mirrors, then finally finding out what is happening, learning how to move both then one but always getting the order wrong, faffing around like that for another 5 years and finding that the stupidity was carried over to the MK2 that you bought to replace the MK1.............

Then learning that it could have been coded out using VCDS 13 years before :speechless:

I am assuming that it could have been coded out on the MK1

I am effectively blind in one eye, when adjusting one mirror the other is well outside of my field of vision, do others see movement of the second mirror in their peripheral vision?

My accident happened 2 years after getting the vehicle and I had not worked out the mirror enigma before then.

28 minutes ago, J.R. said:

Then learning that it could have been coded out using VCDS 13 years before :speechless:

I am assuming that it could have been coded out on the MK1

No it is hard wired on the MK1