Oil service interval has become 4800 miles, 180 days

dunder101

Hi there, 

We've been having our 2014 1.2 Tsi Yeti serviced at a local garage (not main dealer) since it has been out of warranty. All good. It was last serviced in November 2018 - a major service - and the service display was reset. Earlier this week the display said "Oil service due in 18 days", which I believe to be six months early (should be 12 Months). I reset the service display with the trip counter button / ignition on trick and cleared the display no problem, but when in then checked the service intervals in the setting section it now says "Oil service due 4800 miles, 180 days" - another six months, not 12 months. (The inspection service Vale is correct though,  about 18 months away). 

Would it be reasonable to think that the garage have somehow incorrectly set the oil service interval when they reset the display last November? If so, would it be them (or another garage) that could set this back to 10,000 miles, 12 months or is that something I could do myself?

Thanks in advance. 

Thank Stubod, will do. It wasn't a main dealer that serviced it, but they're good and I guess if they had the capability to code it wrongly they ought to be able to code it correctly. Was just hoping I might have been able to avoid a trip though ...

it appears that "skoda" don't actually include OIL changes in the service (or inspection as they call it), and have separate service / oil change events in what looks like a con to get you back into the dealer workshop more often.

if you managed to reset your "service" indicator, you should easily manage to reset your "OIL change" indicator

not sure how you do it on pre-face lift 1.2 but for my face lift 1.2 it is ........................

Face Lift Yeti

Service indicator 

1. Turn off ignition, 
2. For full service reset turn on hazard lights. Skip this step for oil service only. 
3. Press AND HOLD the trip zero “0.0” button (lower right of speedo dial), 
4. While keeping 0.0 button pressed, switch IGN to fully ON but DO NOT start engine.
5. Wait till the "reset" message appears on the Maxidot screen, then release the “0.0” button.
6. say yes to "reset"  (press the the “0.0” button again)

The oil reset is the same just do not turn on hazards at step 2
1. Turn off ignition, 
3. Press AND HOLD the trip zero “0.0” button (lower right of speedo dial), 
4. While keeping 0.0 button pressed, switch IGN to fully ON but DO NOT start engine.
5. Wait till the "reset" message appears on the Maxidot screen, then release the “0.0” button.
6. say yes to "reset"  (press the the “0.0” button again)

• Confused 1

^^^^ Getting lost in translation.     

Difference in resetting the Service Indicator if on Fixed Servicing,  dead easy, or if on Variable, which is when many fail to reset, as they are clueless,

It used to be Minor / Major service time about, Fixed Servicing, then Variable / Flexible came about. 

Then it started to be called 'Interim' & 'Major services'.

All have oil and filter changes.   What the Service Indicator has for 'Inspection' is just confusing.

http://volkswagen.co.uk/owners/servicing/regimes

*Be sure what ever you have done that the Main Dealership do the 'Body Inspection' and put that on the system, that is for the Paint & Corrosion Warranty'.*

Lots are being caught out because Skoda UK are saying no record of being done.

When there were Service Books there used to be pages for that after the Minor or Major Service pages.

Screenshot 2019-05-01 at 06.35.30.png

Screenshot 2019-05-01 at 06.35.14.png

Edited by Skoffski

Thanks for all this. I have already reset the oil service indicator as described, but this is when I noticed the problem. Although it no longer says "oil service due", when I look in the settings at service info it says an oil service is due in 4800 miles or 180 days (incorrect - six month interval). After previous oil services it has said 9400 miles or 372 days (correct - 12 month interval). This is what makes me think the garage has made a mistake when coding it with the computer. 

Edited by dunder101
Error correction

7 hours ago, dunder101 said:

Thanks for all this. I have already reset the oil service indicator as described, but this is when I noticed the problem. Although it no longer says "oil service due", when I look in the settings at service info it says an oil service is due in 4800 miles or 180 days (incorrect - six month interval). After previous oil services it has said 9400 miles or 372 days (correct - 12 month interval). This is what makes me think the garage has made a mistake when coding it with the computer. 

Having recently cleared a service indication on the missus's car using VCDS, I noticed that one of the adaptation channels allowed adjustment of the inter-service interval.  It sounds as though this may have accidentally been done whilst attempting to just reset it.

9 hours ago, Skoffski said:

^^^^ Getting lost in translation.     

Difference in resetting the Service Indicator if on Fixed Servicing,  dead easy, or if on Variable, which is when many fail to reset, as they are clueless,

It used to be Minor / Major service time about, Fixed Servicing, then Variable / Flexible came about. 

Then it started to be called 'Interim' & 'Major services'.

All have oil and filter changes.   What the Service Indicator has for 'Inspection' is just confusing.

http://volkswagen.co.uk/owners/servicing/regimes

*Be sure what ever you have done that the Main Dealership do the 'Body Inspection' and put that on the system, that is for the Paint & Corrosion Warranty'.*

Lots are being caught out because Skoda UK are saying no record of being done.

When there were Service Books there used to be pages for that after the Minor or Major Service pages.

Screenshot 2019-05-01 at 06.35.30.png

Screenshot 2019-05-01 at 06.35.14.png

As Skoffski says....For the love of all that is holy, make sure you have got your bodywork inspections up to date.

Many thanks for all the comments and advice. Popped back to garage yesterday and all sorted after a couple of minutes with the computer plugged in. It would seem that, on the system they had, the most obvious option was something like "Oil Service (Minor)", and then something like "Standard Oil". This had set the oil service interbval to 4800 miles / 6 months. He tried again with "Oil Service (Minor)", and then "High Efficiency Oil" ... voila, oil service interval 9400 miles / 12 months. It's a little bit out of sync wit reality now, but at least I know if I reset it manually in future it will be on the correct fixed intervals again. All good.

I have to say, it was interesting to see a computer plugged into the car like this - it's all felt a bit like witchcraft before, so nice to see it demystified. Thanks again all.

Ah yes, thanks langers2k. If there are any VCDS owners in Dartford / Gravesend / Medway who would be able to help please do let me know. Thanks again everyone.