Has anyone actually removed the stop start

54 minutes ago, shyVRS245 said:

Said by someone thinking about his kids, which is a good thing and which most forget.:nod:

But playing devils advocate here the vehicle emissions go much further than stop/start.

We could argue that a owner with a 1.0TSi 115bhp Octavia with stop start off is more environmentally friendly than a 335.9bhp vRS owner with it switched on.

Or the school run Mum who chooses an SUV instead of a city car because of image. 

Or the guy that keeps stop start on but never takes his roof box off.

A lot of things effect emissions more than stop start.

Of course we are talking global emissions here, if we are talking congestion and NOx in city centres that is different.

Obvious observation but I do my bit for the planet. Today was a typical commute computer said 42.2mpg. This tank 189 miles so far this week and 270 miles range left. That gives a total range of 459 miles at an average of 41.73mpg. Now give me some credit because not only did I have the electric sunroof open for 108 miles this week but it ain't far off Skoda UK's claim of 42.8mpg combined for my manual car. 150gm/co2 if I manage to hit 42.8mpg average.:nod:

9 minutes ago, logiclee said:

But playing devils advocate here the vehicle emissions go much further than stop/start.

We could argue that a owner with a 1.0TSi 115bhp Octavia with stop start off is more environmentally friendly than a 335.9bhp vRS owner with it switched on.

Or the school run Mum who chooses an SUV instead of a city car because of image. 

Or the guy that keeps stop start on but never takes his roof box off.

A lot of things effect emissions more than stop start.

Of course we are talking global emissions here, if we are talking congestion and NOx in city centres that is different.

If it wasn't for global warming I wouldn't be enjoying the sunroof so much this week.:emoticon-0157-sun:

@logiclee I think you make some good points in your last post - there are lots of things we can do to reduce emissions and/or fuel consumption. As someone else posted earlier, every little helps right?

It comes back to people not thinking, I think. Not thinking that carrying 50kg in your boot, or leaving your roof bars/box on, or braking late, or accelerating hard when you know the traffic is stopped 50 yds ahead etc etc is using unnecessary fuel. 

And if a parent buys an suv for the school run because of image, I’d rather there was a built in device reducing the emissions a bit than it not being there. 

And about powerful cars... working a powerful car gently can use less fuel than working a low powered car hard. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, maffyou said:

And about powerful cars... working a powerful car gently can use less fuel than working a low powered car hard. 

Horses for courses as the saying goes.

We do have extremes in the family fleet from a big Jaguar to a Citigo.

The Jag is more economical on my motorway commute than the Citigo or our TSi Octavia. At 80mph the Jag is at 1600rpm

But switch that to town driving and the Citigo is a good 15mpg better and much easier to park.

My mum lives near a small Primary School and the catchment area is very small, every day we see the fight for parking spaces in big SUV's. Some arrive half an hour before school ends to get a prime parking spot. We know where some of these people live and it's only a ten minute walk away. Crazy.

Edited by logiclee
  • Like 2

I my situation stop start is a waste of time as where I live , very few traffic lights & the longets is a railway crossing..& usually switch the engine off on that as very long wait time...

What has made a bigger difference is adding on under body covers & a full length engine bay undertray...resulting in a much flatter & smoother underbody...way better for aero & is effective ALL the time...as it reduces fuel consumption but actual aids high speed stability....&specific to my Golf estate as the rear without the trays has a tendency to lift ..

& as far as a drop in the ocean...those new wind turbines for off the coast of Fife are possibly being built in China & shipped here..when there is a recently defunct wind turbine construction place latterly down the road from the windfarm...(Bifab)….

& heavy shipping pollutes quite a lot....& I recon that transporting those wind turbines from China will wipe out there eco benefits of their life span...

but hey ho China, USA, India, Japan, etc etc produce way more pollution than we do..the UK has drastically reduced it totals way down in the past 20yrs...

I do my bit..up to a point as until the wider picture is sorted its like shouting at the sea...

1 hour ago, maffyou said:

My Qashqai claimed to have saved around 10kg of CO2 emissions per year through using stop start (it was a bit higher than that actually, per 10k miles). If every U.K. car saved the same amount a year that’s well over 300 million tonnes fewer CO2 emissions per year. Hardly insignificant is it?

Must correct a silly error here - it should say kg not tonnes! It would be 300 thousand tonnes.

On 23 May 2019 at 19:44, maffyou said:

@logiclee I think you make some good points in your last post - there are lots of things we can do to reduce emissions and/or fuel consumption. As someone else posted earlier, every little helps right?

It comes back to people not thinking, I think. Not thinking that carrying 50kg in your boot, or leaving your roof bars/box on, or braking late, or accelerating hard when you know the traffic is stopped 50 yds ahead etc etc is using unnecessary fuel. 

And if a parent buys an suv for the school run because of image, I’d rather there was a built in device reducing the emissions a bit than it not being there. 

Powerful car (336bhp) driven within the speed limits can indeed deliver good economy like this today.

image.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, shyVRS245 said:

Powerful car (336bhp) driven within the speed limits can indeed deliver good economy like this today.

image.jpg

But could be so much better ;)

No photo description available.

• Like 1

Not doing too badly on my 1.5 Octavia - I've yet to take it for a nice motorway run but my overall average in the month I've had it has been around 53mpg

DSC_0790.JPG

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, shyVRS245 said:

But I have the option of going at 283kph on a German AUTOBAHN.:kiss:

But this thread is about being environmentally responsible and it's been suggested those that turn off stop start should be fined.

I think we have to agree there are other factors that have a far larger effect on emissions 

Edited by logiclee

1 minute ago, BBDom said:

Not doing too badly on my 1.5 Octavia - I've yet to take it for a nice motorway run but my overall average in the month I've had it has been around 53mpg

DSC_0790.JPG

Best I managed in the wife's Karoq 1.5TSi SEL manual is 63.2mpg. It's current Long Term average is 50.7mpg. Not bad for a petrol SUV.:nod:

3 minutes ago, logiclee said:

But this thread is about being environmentally responsible and it's been suggested those that turn off stop start off should be fined.

I think we have to agree there are other factors that have a far larger effect on emissions 

I only quoted a news report about Westminster Council's intentions if the authorities rubber stamp the idea.:notme:

33 minutes ago, logiclee said:

But this thread is about being environmentally responsible and it's been suggested those that turn off stop start should be fined.

its a joke, the difference in fuel saving and therefore pollution its so minimal i would argue it makes almost no difference and it more of a virtual signal than having any effective environmental impact. If it makes some motorists feel better about themselves then hey ho, but fines? 

Edited by JohnnyType2

1 hour ago, JohnnyType2 said:

its a joke, the difference in fuel saving and therefore pollution its so minimal i would argue it makes almost no difference and it more of a virtual signal than having any effective environmental impact. If it makes some motorists feel better about themselves then hey ho, but fines? 

I don’t think there should be fines, I doubt anyone else here really thinks there should be either... but did you just deliberately skip the whole bit about lots of tiny bits = big bits...?

5 minutes ago, maffyou said:

I don’t think there should be fines, I doubt anyone else here really thinks there should be either... but did you just deliberately skip the whole bit about lots of tiny bits = big bits...?

Perhaps he doesn't shop at Tesco's.:nod:

• Haha 1

On 25/05/2019 at 20:25, logiclee said:

On 25/05/2019 at 20:58, JohnnyType2 said:

Exactly, has the shortened life of the expensive AGM battery been factored in or the  wear of an extra 300,000 starts , the problem is not CO2 it is NOX, because of misguided politicians believing CO2 will destroy the planet we now have 50% of light vehicles using diesel and spewing out Killer NOX, if you have a petrol car stop/start delete will not harm the planet or kill your kids, diesel will, It will get worse as these vehicles get older with owners finding it financially difficult to maintain these vehicles at the high level they need..

Actually, carbon dioxide (CO2) emission is higher on petrol, CO2 is a form of greenhouse gas that traps heat and changes climate. In another words, "destroy the planet".

The move to diesel is due to government only setting 1 metric and lazy car manufacturers jumping on this loophole knowingly poisoning everyone with NOX emissions. Back in 2000's, all manufacturers should have moved towards hybrids, not diesels.

So in a petrol if you delete stop/start, you will contribute to harming the planet more than diesels, but won't add towards the more harmful local air quality. Deleting stop/start in a diesel does more harm locally.

• Like 3

Actually, carbon dioxide (CO2) emission is higher on petrol, CO2 is a form of greenhouse gas that traps heat and changes climate. In another words, "destroy the planet".

wyx087You say Co2 will destroy the planet, I say CO2 is the gas of life and without it life on this planet would not exist, you are obviously not aware that the oceans cover 72% of the planet and hold vast quantities of CO2, far more than airborne CO2, as the oceans warm CO2 is released, the planet has been warming slowly since the end of the little iceage around 1860, this 0.8 degree C of warming was caused by the SUN you foolno SUV`s in the mid 1800`s to start it off. If Co2 is the cause of the recent warming why was there an almost 20 year pause in warming recently. Are you aware that the majority of temperature readings are now taken from urban areas and airports where in the past they were taken mainly from rural areas.  CO2 in the atmosphere is around 408 PPM, CO2 in commercial green houses is around 1200 ppm, plants give a 40% extra yield because of this and workers breath in this level of CO2 day in and day out, nuclear Submariners breath in CO2 at 6000ppm and they have the finger on the button, astronauts breath CO2 at even higher levels. The earth is greening because of this extra CO2 (see Nasa), that means more food to feed the growing world population.

Before you come to any conclusion study both sides of the debate, ever heard of Climate Gate, Steve McIntyre, WUWT or Jo Nova, do some research then come back.

By the Way, if it is warmer today why are ancient tree lines on mountains being uncovered by receding snow, how did Viking artifacts get under the permafrost in Greenland, When you hear the term climate disruption and worst storms ever, look at the historical storms in those areas, it`s all Bullsh** man.

Edited by Bobclive2
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1