Roof bars for VRS estate

Hi all 

I'm in the market for decent, lockable roof bars for my VRS estate.

I know Thule are good, however looking at the price of them and for the amount of times of use I know they're going to get, I'm looking elsewhere brand wise.

They're for the sole purpose of carrying up to three bikes.

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

TIA

And if you do a little research, you can pick up the separate bits for top spec Thule roof bars second hand for around £50 all in. Poorly listed stuff on the Bay is worth researching for better deals.

For top spec Thule Proride 591 bike carriers, expect to pay around £50 each for them new or used. At this time of year, demand will be higher pushing up prices.

• Like 1

Take a look here

https://www.roofbox.co.uk/scripts/rbvehsel3.php?emulate=roofbar&query=8128&vptype=644492

The Cruz premium Airo R was the ones I was going to buy as at the time I only wanted a cheap set to carry ladders but what I didn't want was for the bars to stick out & bash my forehead etc, so in the end I actually ended up buying the Thule WingBar Edge (Black) cost is way more but can honestly say no wind noise, drag etc & they look very nice when fitted as they sit within the actual roof parameter (flush) & not stick out, I purchased mine from Halfords as I had a £50 gift card & a friend of mine works at Halfords so got a discount on top B) only used them twice since but I'm very impressed with the Thule WingBar Edge mainly as they blend in when fitted so you can actually just leave them on all the time & definitely no noise to be heard even with my window open.

EDIT:

Take a look at this thread, as you will get to see how well they fit & picture with bikes on top.

https://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/463845-thule-wingbar-edge-low-profile-black-roof-bars-octavia-iii-estate/

Edited by BATVANVRS
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, JohnnyType2 said:

g for the aero ones from thule, more expensive but so much less wind noise at motorway speeds so well worth the extra coin.

Three bikes on mate ???

Not going to make a difference with three bikes on bud Re wind noise, motorway or not! 

• Haha 1

I got a set of the standard Thule ones off ebay (IIRC) second hand. Chopped them down a bit length wise too so they look better.

Probably your best bet price-wise and possibly type too IMO. Tried ebay local?????

• Like 1

are you driving around with them on all the time? so your driving with three bike on permanently or with the roof bars on permanently? i'm guessing you want to keep the bars on and the bikes will be on weekends etc so yes wind noise would be a big factor driving around day to day. the Thule bars are easy on and can be securely fixed. 

Ive had a couple of different sets and the Thule Wingbar edge 150 is easily the best system ive had.

low profile and quiet.

Image result for wingbar edge for octavia 3

Edited by JohnnyType2
  • Like 2

As what @JohnnyType2 said. Get yourself a decent set of Thule wingbars. They're quality bars and should last you a while. A mate of mine had cheapo Halfraud ones. They whistled like mad and they rusted because the plastic coating peeled away after a bit of use.

Have a look on ebay or gumtree for the bars, but buy the mounting blocks new. Just for peace of mind things 

• Like 3

I'm looking too, bought some second hand Cruz roof bars last year and they are awful, really fiddly to fit and I have to near enough smash them to get them off.

I tried looking on Ebay for Thule ones and there does not seem that many that fit (unless I am looking at the wrong ones - very possible)

5 hours ago, JohnnyType2 said:

are you driving around with them on all the time? so your driving with three bike on permanently or with the roof bars on permanently?

I won't be, most of the time they'll be in the garage! It's just for the odd time we all go on a family bike ride now that the daughter is off the stabilisers.

7 hours ago, Tilt said:

I got a set of the standard Thule ones off ebay (IIRC) second hand. Chopped them down a bit length wise too so they look better.

Probably your best bet price-wise and possibly type too IMO. Tried ebay local?????

Will keep an eye out, popped into Halfords this afternoon so I've got the codes to look out for in terms of model numbers. 

1 hour ago, courty said:

I won't be, most of the time they'll be in the garage! It's just for the odd time we all go on a family bike ride now that the daughter is off the stabilisers.

Will keep an eye out, popped into Halfords this afternoon so I've got the codes to look out for in terms of model numbers. 

I dont know why but i thought you were a road racer or the like with 3 bikes. have you got a towbar fitted?

I went with Yakima (also branded Whispbars) Aero-X S53B bars for my VRS estate. These are cheaper than the Thule Wingbar Edge and, in my opinion, look slightly neater  (they seem to sit lower on the roof bars compared to the Thule Edges.)  I leave them on the car all the time so the look is important to me.

The only real downsides with both the Aero-X and the Wingbar Edge are that they have less usable T-track width than through bars and they are less likely to be compatible with other cars.

13 hours ago, JohnnyType2 said:

I dont know why but i thought you were a road racer or the like with 3 bikes. have you got a towbar fitted?

Haha, nah I don't do skinny wheels and lycra :D

No towbar, that'd be easier as I've seen a few tow bar racks that look good.

On 05/05/2019 at 20:54, Sub2 said:

I went with Yakima (also branded Whispbars) Aero-X S53B bars for my VRS estate. These are cheaper than the Thule Wingbar Edge and, in my opinion, look slightly neater  (they seem to sit lower on the roof bars compared to the Thule Edges.)  I leave them on the car all the time so the look is important to me.

The only real downsides with both the Aero-X and the Wingbar Edge are that they have less usable T-track width than through bars and they are less likely to be compatible with other cars.

they look really good and about half the price...

I picked up the black Thule 9584's, new from a dealer on eBay for £250 - considerably less than Halfords etc..

However, they're the sleek rounded edge ones so you do lose load space - might be a struggle to get three bikes on such bars.

I had wider ones on my Golf and jeez it fricking hurt the two times I banged my head on them.

I had Thule 118 wing bars and 757 footpack on the vRS estate - easy to fit and perfect with the proride 598/591. Thule is expensive but it does work well.

i had to upgrade to a new footpack and frustratingly a fitting kit for the new passat (rails with no gaps underneath), the vRS didn't need fitting kit hence is £40 cheaper!

Edited by Exeterj