Spark plugs changed still misfiring

1 hour ago, Mickmartin said:

Any pics of them fitted? Would be interesting to see.

Heres mine with all 4 fitted unlike others

as you can see cylinder 1 is a real tight squeeze due to the breather pipe, intake pipes and diverter valve but its all worth it for sure!

not even a tiny bit of misfire now whatsoever! Works like a dream with the denso spark plugs

image.jpg

11 hours ago, Mickmartin said:

Superb!

Are there any noticeable gaps where water could get into the plugs or are they completely sealed? It’s hard to see from the picture.

I cant notice any gaps as such but as they’re longer and wiggle freely my mind isnt completely at ease till i forcefully have to get that £125 bracket :(

10 hours ago, FlexibleMouse said:

Does yours have the breather mod? or is that just a normal CTHE?

Havent got a breather mod no

allow me to correct myself

Cylinder 1 was super difficult to install due to all the pipes highlighted below

one of them (main one which is pressing down on the coil pack in cylinder 1)  is from the oil tank, two click into the intake pipe and the giant diverter valve 

59E8032F-4D82-4FA0-B41C-350C5710234B.jpeg

6 hours ago, RezaVrs said:

I cant notice any gaps as such but as they’re longer and wiggle freely my mind isnt completely at ease till i forcefully have to get that £125 bracket 😞

The Audi 1.8T and 2.0T come with single cow ration adapters for each coil, I’d be looking to make my own somewhat like them.

The 'Breather mod' as i understand it is the pipe highlighted in blue off your own photo (this was not on my CAVE originally) and appeared after the oil fixes.

The breather mod must be standard on a CTHE. 

7 hours ago, RezaVrs said:

I cant notice any gaps as such but as they’re longer and wiggle freely my mind isnt completely at ease till i forcefully have to get that £125 bracket 😞

image.png

15 hours ago, Kobayashi said:

786193036_1.4TSIBreatherpipe.thumb.jpg.dcf8a76451c03f67ebe2ec852e7cbf72.jpg

This is the CAVE breather pipe looks the same to me, CTHE / CAVE = Same breather pipe..

Isnt the blue circled pipe the same as the one you circled here? This is a cave engine right?

2 hours ago, RezaVrs said:

Isnt the blue circled pipe the same as the one you circled here? This is a cave engine right?

yes mine is a CAVE so therefore you have the breather pipe as standard on your CTHE

Edited by Kobayashi

@Kobayashi

Strangely after CAVE engines were getting Breather Mods & Software updates, and then Breather Mod 2 & Software Update, early CTHE that were Oil Users then got a Breather Mod and Software Update.

That one surprised even me.

@MilgeS had the CAVE ownership experience, then bought one of the first  CTHE car & ended up needing a 2nd engine for that.

Screenshot 2019-06-06 at 13.11.02.png

Screenshot 2019-06-06 at 13.07.47.png

Screenshot 2019-06-06 at 13.07.06.png

Edited by Skoffski
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Mickmartin said:

Wouldn’t these push fit adapters help keep the coils firm?

00D4A228-67BF-42A3-90C2-0F4782B733B5.jpeg

This would be interesting to know!

they’re £9 something from AwesomeGTI has anyone done this before?

On 05/06/2019 at 08:11, Mickmartin said:

I was on about the original Audi r8 coils not the copy's.

We only need to browse this forum for 5 minutes and you'll see posts littered with plugs and coil issues, Having that problem eliminated and replaced with what should have been the original factory setup provides the piece of mind, reliability and spark these cars should have came with.

What bracket/holder did you purchase?

Yes thats true, but to suggest the factory standard ones arent reliable does not make sense, 40,000 miles and no issues for me, I suppose it depends on how long you believe they should last.

I would consider coil packs a "servicable" part, just like HT leads etc in the older days, the fact they are as cheap as they are shows they are not meant to last forever, electrical items in that engine bay will always suffer due to the extremes in the enviroment.

Plugs are a different issue, thats well documented indeed as well as skoda "updating" them.

Edited by UrbanPanzer

Re OEM Coils which can be fine for maybe 2 or 3 sets of spark plugs life times.

The OP had a replacement engine.

The engine replaced likely had a spark plug that was failing or failed,  spark plugs failing can reduce the life of an ignition coil.

So Skoda / VW approve a new 'Base Engine' it has new spark plugs and yet the original from the factory Ignition Coils get reused.  Maybe one that has been on that spark plug with the early demise.

So Ignition coil life and the history of the spark plugs needs given consideration.  What a same when £4,000 of engine change gets done and 3 good coils and one suspect get used.