Reversing camera retrofit - connecting up

Got the cable through to the front, tight to the edge of the roof lining, I have at the moment led the cable between the front door seal and tucked into the A pillar cover, it started to rain so will have to remove the A cover later to do a proper job later.

The seller of the blue plug connector said it would not fit a Skoda Octavia, it looks identical to the plug in this thread. I think that the original connector pins can be removed so I could swap them to the new connector, I have left the Video plug on my cable so could just plug it into the video connector attached to the new blue connector as above....If you understand what the hell I am talking about!

hi there, I've had a front and rear dash cam fitted today and I thought while he routing the cables he can put in the reversing camera. He's put it in and ran the cables to the glove box but says I need this interface in the picture. I've spoke with a guy from the fb skoda group and said I didn't need it. See attached pic.  @SashaGrace @NikTheGeek

115744446_1160621784305804_6982686238340158918_n.jpg

Hi.

Welcome to the forum. I am sure you will get all the help you need,

As regards the above I am finding my way around with the reversing camera lark, I am not sure but I think the wiring in your photo is for the Highline model whereas  the more common model is the Lowline version (as is mine). If you look through Sasha's thread there is a mine of information, just takes a lot of reading!

The camera I have is this one from AliExpress.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32964908529.html?spm=a2g0s.12269583.0.0.3e5b78afY3YGVA

• 2 weeks later...
On 07/02/2020 at 17:42, SashaGrace said:

It depends on how your connection is wired but usually the black is negative and goes to pin 12, if you look really closely, 6 and 12 are printed in tiny numbers on the plug.

Check twice and connect once as they say. I have ordered a video female connector that comes with the blue plug from eBay, I have extracted the connectors from same blue plug as I did not fancy trying to solder those tiny push in contacts. I have not cut off the yellow video connector from the camera so hopefully it will now be plug and play! Just to make sure I have this right the center male pin on the yellow video connector is positive and the outer shoulder negative? Checking on my ohm meter the center socket has a red lead going to the tiny connector, the other lead is white so must be negative.

Edited by ajw1100

Got it fitted at last,

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32964908529.html?spm=a2g0s.12269583.0.0.3e5b78afY3YGVA

not too impressed with the picture quality, not what I'd call HD. Seems rather fuzzy and indistinct, anyone found a similar unit with higher resolution?

Followed the instructions about coding in, which went okay, went for a drive yesterday and had to slow up and keep tight to the overgrown hedge on a tight corner due to oncoming car and heard the front N/S sensor beeping! My 2015 car has Park Assist so has sensors back, front and sides, but in the last 5 years only activated after reverse had been selected, now it seems activates at below certain speeds on front sensors. I will have to check this out more thoroughly to see exactly what circumstances this happens in.

I was wondering if it might be caused by the additional coding:

Quote:

Before it will work, it will need coding. Using OBDeleven, it was in the Infotainment section, long coding, byte 19, enable bit 4. But also in Park Pilot there is a tick box for lowline camera.

Unquote.

Now, my wife has an 18 reg Fabia that has front sensors, the front sensors do operate at low speeds as we found out in traffic and on normal two lanes they sometimes beeped at oncoming cars.

Had another go at removing the A pillar trim, it did not want to release. Really bending it out I think that it was retained by what looked like a single solid grey plastic arm about 20mm deep that stuck out from the cover. Then had a re-think.

I did not like the idea of the cable being the wrong side of the airbag, or maybe being in the way should it ever deploy. I removed it from the cover and the roof lining back to the B pillar. Careful pulling with my trim tools revealed that I could run the cable from the roof by the front of the B pillar cover and tuck it in tight behind same and then straight down behind the lower black trim, across the base and up behind the trim where it ends by the bonnet release and then to the area by the fuse box.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello everybody,

can someone help me about RVC? 

I have Columbus MIB1 from 2014 5E0035020C HW43 and fited camera 5E5827566C. Is this camera compatible with the stock radio? I connected as described and coded but there is no signal from camera. Do I need some interface?

• 3 months later...
On 22/02/2020 at 18:33, simion_levi said:

I have a highline camera and loom from the same Hungarian seller and got a chance to connect it up and test today (actually pulling off all the trim and running cables will have to take place another day!) 

The wiring should be a fairly easy job for anyone that's done similar retrofits in the past: The loom I received has a piggyback connector fitted for the CAN high and low wires, a ring crimp for the earth and a VAG fusebox 12V connector so it all fits together very well, no cutting or joining cables required. Coding as noted in the file Sasha links to also works for the 3V0... camera I have, including the dynamic lines following steering and the various trailer/camera view modes.

I did pay for the parameter file to be loaded to the camera by the seller. 

rearview.thumb.jpg.f4c6d5dad529d09b2492095accdc7ebe.jpg

IMG_20200222_142939.thumb.jpg.3ada1c71b91fceb08fe791beee0d8eba.jpg800651833_piggybackCAN.thumb.jpg.159403f611ff6c69826b4abd4a82ff59.jpg

IMG_20200222_142933.jpg

IMG_20200222_133702.jpg

What function ha this grey connector? What does it mean "add can cables via piggyback"? Which cables are connected into grey connector - video or power? 

22 hours ago, Max46 said:

What function ha this grey connector? What does it mean "add can cables via piggyback"? Which cables are connected into grey connector - video or power? 

Neither video nor power. Grey connector position 6+12 are CAN high and low, for data communication. With the cameras, this is needed for the superimposed moving lines showing your steering angle.

You will have cables already in the positions you need to connect in the camera loom, hence either you would need to splice in the new ones - or you use the provided piggyback connection. This just saves cutting/soldering cables. You take the existing cables out of the grey connector 6+12 position, latch into the piggyback shown below and connect the leads from the loom into the grey connector instead.

image.thumb.png.e748d2b9565f8e191fac9b281b6187de.png

14 hours ago, simion_levi said:

Neither video nor power. Grey connector position 6+12 are CAN high and low, for data communication. With the cameras, this is needed for the superimposed moving lines showing your steering angle.

You will have cables already in the positions you need to connect in the camera loom, hence either you would need to splice in the new ones - or you use the provided piggyback connection. This just saves cutting/soldering cables. You take the existing cables out of the grey connector 6+12 position, latch into the piggyback shown below and connect the leads from the loom into the grey connector instead.

image.thumb.png.e748d2b9565f8e191fac9b281b6187de.png

I recieved with camera just connecting cable into blue connector. Can that be a reason that i have black screen? So that cables connected into grey connector are missing? 

2 hours ago, Max46 said:

I recieved with camera just connecting cable into blue connector. Can that be a reason that i have black screen? So that cables connected into grey connector are missing? 

The low line camera doesn't need or have the CAN high/low wires.

Your problem has nothing to do with the wiring. Based on your other posts, you have a 5Q0035819A radio and as Sashagrace told you previously, it doesn't support a rear view camera.

It appears it's missing the video chip needed as mentioned on this thread: http://rapidklub.pl/discussion/1512/mib2-doposazenie-w-kamere-cofania-low-retrofitting/

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Hi everyone,

i have an octavia 5e 2016 basic model w/o a rear cam view. so i want to install one on the rear door handle. my car DOSEN'T have the CD part in the glove compartment, only the basic genuine middle multimedia.

I have done the RCA connection done to the blue connector in the main multimedia (pins 6,12) and enable bit 19/4 for RCV via obdeleven successfully (coded only 19/4).

now when engaging the reverse, i see that the screen switches from parkin sensors to black for video display, but only for 1 sec and then an error massage that no video signal is found, press OK and back to parking sensors view. i used a canon digital pocket cam for video signal out (working ok on my TV) but not in the car.

please advise , if everything i done is ok and when purchasing and installing the cam with handle it should work (canon not good for the test?). or should i connect rca to other pins in main multimedia? or need to code more bits via obdeleven?

also please notice that i checked with dvm the rca as it is connected now and i see that ground and signal are shorted? is that ok too? ( pins and connections are double checked and looks ok).

Thanks for any help or advice...

2 minutes ago, H_k said:

Hi everyone,

i have an octavia 5e 2016 basic model w/o a rear cam view. so i want to install one on the rear door handle. my car DOSEN'T have the CD part in the glove compartment, only the basic genuine middle multimedia.

I have done the RCA connection done to the blue connector in the main multimedia (pins 6,12) and enable bit 19/4 for RCV via obdeleven successfully (coded only 19/4).

now when engaging the reverse, i see that the screen switches from parkin sensors to black for video display, but only for 1 sec and then an error massage that no video signal is found, press OK and back to parking sensors view. i used a canon digital pocket cam for video signal out (working ok on my TV) but not in the car.

please advise , if everything i done is ok and when purchasing and installing the cam with handle it should work (canon not good for the test?). or should i connect rca to other pins in main multimedia? or need to code more bits via obdeleven?

also please notice that i checked with dvm the rca as it is connected now and i see that ground and signal are shorted? is that ok too? ( pins and connections are double checked and looks ok).

Thanks for any help or advice...

multimedia 5E0035871A, dose it support rear cam view?

• 4 months later...

Hi all was looking somr info if possible i have a 2015 vrs octavia eith a harmon system fitted in glove box the last owner seems to have had a rear view camera fitted before and had taken it out .they had just cut the wire in the boot removed the camera and left the rca wire running up to the front glove box .i have bought a new camera and installed new wiring up to glove box where there was s blue plug left hanging  .so i connected the rca lead and proceeded to put it back into multi plug and i can not get it to work . I also have tried a new lead  with blue plug and then found out with it in place my microphone for the Bluetooth did not work .so i put old blue plug back in bingo microphone working fine it must be part of the original loom fitted to car .but the rear camera still not working  anyone any ideas on what to do. Sorry for being long winded. Have been at it on and off now for a week and i am ready for the hills. Also have had a friend with vag .com to look at it and its programed gor rear camera have added a picture of the original plug

20211010_172527_IMG_3175.HEIC

• 1 year later...
On 08/06/2021 at 22:47, H_k said:

done the RCA connection done to the blue connector in the main multimedia (pins 6,12) and enable bit 19/4 for RCV via obdeleven successfully (coded only 19/4).

now when engaging the reverse, i see that the screen switches from parkin sensors to black for video display, but only for 1 sec and then an error massage that no video signal is found, press OK and back to parking sensors view.

Hi! Any luck? Did you make it work on 5E0035871A?