Knocking sound when driving

Hello everyone, 

I think I have addressed this question somewhere in a reply for another topic, but I will try again, in a separate topic. I hear a knocking (kind of hallo) noise when driving. It is hard to figure out exactly when, sometimes on a straight road, sometimes when there are potholes sometimes much often, sometimes not at all for weeks. The sound usually comes (at least that's how I hear) from the front side, but sometimes from the back also (not sure tho). I have recently changed the rod ties and also asked for ball joints, but the mechanic said they were fine so did not change them...it's an old work car with over 400.000 km, and I will be honest with not much caretaking (except for oils and filters).

Any ideas about what can it be and which of them can I check at home? 

Best regards, 

28 minutes ago, TMB said:

Droplinks are a common cause.

s-l500.jpg

Thanks for the reply, maybe it was a communication mistake on my side (hard sometimes to find the exact translation of part) I think that's the thing that was changed when I said tie rod, by the looks of it, it can be seen when you steer the wheel into a direction quite easy, and I remember before changing that when I would grab it and try to shake it would shake (that's why I wanted it changed)....I know it is a stock image, but that's the part that was changed I supposed properly called droplink

imageproxy.jpg

• Like 1

Also in addition when the wheel is fully steered into a direction and car slowly moving I can hear (from the outside) a rubber rubbing noise, donno if it has any relation 

Edited by elaasi

• 5 weeks later...
On 26/05/2019 at 20:33, elaasi said:

Also in addition when the wheel is fully steered into a direction and car slowly moving I can hear (from the outside) a rubber rubbing noise, donno if it has any relation 

Noise at full lock is usually CV joint - someone correct me if I'm wrong?

• Thanks 1

On 26/05/2019 at 20:31, elaasi said:

Thanks for the reply, maybe it was a communication mistake on my side (hard sometimes to find the exact translation of part) I think that's the thing that was changed when I said tie rod, by the looks of it, it can be seen when you steer the wheel into a direction quite easy, and I remember before changing that when I would grab it and try to shake it would shake (that's why I wanted it changed)....I know it is a stock image, but that's the part that was changed I supposed properly called droplink

imageproxy.jpg

Maybe the nuts need tightening up, the slightest bit of movement will create a knocking noise.

DB.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, AaronMountford1990 said:

Noise at full lock is usually CV joint - someone correct me if I'm wrong?

This is probably what the rubbing noise is, are the wheels standard? Not to big and catching the wheel arch liners on full lock?

For the knocking, check the drop links are tight like @TMB said, check the arb bushes for wear aswell.

• Thanks 1

Mine has had knocking noises, certainly more than one bit causing the noise.

this year it’s had new track rods, new track rod ends and new arb bushes.

the majority of noise was due to the broken track rod ends, but I think the drop links need doing too. 

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, mikey362 said:

This is probably what the rubbing noise is, are the wheels standard? Not to big and catching the wheel arch liners on full lock?

For the knocking, check the drop links are tight like @TMB said, check the arb bushes for wear aswell.

so the drop links are tight (I am not sure tho if the way I checked is proper, I turned the wheel fully and grabbed the drop link and tried to see if there is any movement and there wasn't) in regards to the arb bushes how do I check them? 

One more thing that I have noticed, many times, first I thought it is a coincidence (and silly), but it has happened so often that I would cross out coincidence. The knocking happens more often (much more often and more obvious) when it is raining...I know it is kind of silly but again I noticed it many many times. 

18 hours ago, mikey362 said:

In regards to the wheel size, they are 205/45/R16 so yeah not standard a bit bigger I will check if the rubbing noise comes from the CV joint or wheel, but I think it is not the wheel cause I had the same noise with the winter wheels which are 14'. But the noise is very low, I can't hear it from inside the car only from the outside. 

14 hours ago, Wench said:

Mine has had knocking noises, certainly more than one bit causing the noise.

this year it’s had new track rods, new track rod ends and new arb bushes.

the majority of noise was due to the broken track rod ends, but I think the drop links need doing too. 

How do I check the track rods? 

I know that everything could be solved by just going to the mechanic, but being a student not from Denmark, it is quite expensive for me every time something seems odd to go to the mechanic, that's why I try to figure out if it is a "must" before going..... 

3 hours ago, elaasi said:

so the drop links are tight (I am not sure tho if the way I checked is proper, I turned the wheel fully and grabbed the drop link and tried to see if there is any movement and there wasn't) in regards to the arb bushes how do I check them? 

One more thing that I have noticed, many times, first I thought it is a coincidence (and silly), but it has happened so often that I would cross out coincidence. The knocking happens more often (much more often and more obvious) when it is raining...I know it is kind of silly but again I noticed it many many times. 

Drop Links - you might not be able to feel if there is movement in them because they are not tight when the car is in the ground. Jack it up then check it better get a spanner and t25 iirc torn and check it’s tight.

ARB bushes - Jack it up, take the wheels off and have a look at them you should be able to see if there cracked/split/worn. Easy to replace just have a look on YouTube.

wheels - at that size should be fine. Mine are 215/45r16 and don’t rub. Probably the CV boot rubbing.

track rod ends - jack it up wheels off and then try pushing the track rod end up and down. If it moves then it’s done and needs replacing.

whilst your at it check the condition of the console bushes so you know they are okay.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, mikey362 said:

Drop Links - you might not be able to feel if there is movement in them because they are not tight when the car is in the ground. Jack it up then check it better get a spanner and t25 iirc torn and check it’s tight.

ARB bushes - Jack it up, take the wheels off and have a look at them you should be able to see if there cracked/split/worn. Easy to replace just have a look on YouTube.

wheels - at that size should be fine. Mine are 215/45r16 and don’t rub. Probably the CV boot rubbing.

track rod ends - jack it up wheels off and then try pushing the track rod end up and down. If it moves then it’s done and needs replacing.

whilst your at it check the condition of the console bushes so you know they are okay.

Thank you for this guide, I will try maybe this weekend to do all the specified above things and see what comes up

so..

Drop Links - no movement at all, tried to tight them hard couldn't so I guess the issue not there 

ARB bushes ...donno I have attached photos so maybe you can tell me more, in my opinion, they look decent 

Track rod end  - up and down no movement, they move tho, on a circular trajectory, but I suppose that's how they are supposed to move, they look ****ty tho :)) again photos; 

Console bushes - look ok, better than the arb bushes, did not take a picture 😞

The steering rod (the one with 3 bolts down, did not look very well tho....

on 12 and 6 o'clock hands, no movement when the wheel was up; 

there was a bit of movement, on 9 and 3 o'clock tho, and the weirdest thing that the entire shock absorber was moving as well, very little movement, I initially did not observe that the movement is also in the shock observers, but then I check and rechecked and they were moving slightly as well, also there is a crack on a thing on the shock absorbers, donno if it is bad, under the rubber, it looks fine, no leaks or smth. For the last two weeks (did no rain) could not hear the knock, yesterday rained, started again, so I know it is stupid but it is definitely related to it somehow... 

65492356_2443890749229901_522286938229571584_n.jpg

65526906_485202282021567_5824391165692084224_n.jpg

65614645_345159756150221_454423809252917248_n.jpg

65614935_475673536500380_8280333837267894272_n.jpg

65673746_369688773741694_6625173867977506816_n.jpg

65826670_485007548912917_9096289426354470912_n.jpg

65995788_1015742875299055_5327098239885770752_n.jpg

Inked65673746_369688773741694_6625173867977506816_n_LI.jpg

On 26/06/2019 at 14:54, mikey362 said:

sorry for late replies 

58 minutes ago, elaasi said:

The steering rod (the one with 3 bolts down, did not look very well tho....

65826670_485007548912917_9096289426354470912_n.jpg

That one? That's the lower ball joint. Also for the most part you will very rarely be able to feel anything in a defective ARB drop link, but they knock like hell.

Looks like you could do with a bit of an overhaul, but then I do tend to take things to the extreme when doing mine.

Subframe.png

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Tech1e said:

That one? That's the lower ball joint. Also for the most part you will very rarely be able to feel anything in a defective ARB drop link, but they knock like hell.

Looks like you could do with a bit of an overhaul, but then I do tend to take things to the extreme when doing mine.

Subframe.png

That looks amazing...I wish I would be able one day to do the same to this poor car (being the first car, it is a special connection) but sadly I don't think it will happen 😞 

So all in all, what the hell it might be, like it does not bother me much, because as I said it is not constant (I will say it again, for the last time, even if it sounds stupid, only when rains) and yeah, I don't feel anything in the steering, it steers straight, the tyres are worn evenly, most of the things look ugly, I know, but nothing really shakes badly or something, and the movement in the absorber was odd (maybe it is normal donno) 

That appearance/condition is just part of the game called "living in Northern Europe" low winter temperatures and rock salt used to keep things safe!

I think that my wife's 2002 VW Polo looked a lot like that when it was only 5 years old!!

Was it easy to take apart - no!!

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, elaasi said:

the entire shock absorber was moving as well, very little movement, I initially did not observe that the movement is also in the shock observers, but then I check and rechecked and they were moving slightly as well,

Do you mean the entire strut has movement? Have you checked the top mount? 

Depends how you try to check for that, a well worn/split TCA rear bush will allow the "leg" to move back/forwards - at its lower end.

15 hours ago, elaasi said:

That looks amazing...I wish I would be able one day to do the same to this poor car (being the first car, it is a special connection) but sadly I don't think it will happen 😞 

Snip ------ Snip.

I was going to change many many things on my first car/van and keep it for ever, but luckily reality kicked in and I off loaded it as soon as money allowed and bought something better - keeping a special connection with a car means it will steal all your money and time, and leave you with only these horrible facts as memories.

8 minutes ago, rum4mo said:

I was going to change many many things on my first car/van and keep it for ever, but luckily reality kicked in and I off loaded it as soon as money allowed and bought something better - keeping a special connection with a car means it will steal all your money and time, and leave you with only these horrible facts as memories.

How cheerful lol