Little spec changes

According to the blurb Skoda Fabias have two USB ports in the back, sadly they seem to have dropped that feature. Also, the small storage bins under the seats have gone. But, it has automatic headlights now. Can't see why dropping the USBs was a great idea, there's only one now.

Strange. my 2015 SEL has automatic headlights and storage bins under the seats. Not seen if it has USB ports in the back anywhere. Wonder if the bins can be fitted to the 2019 one easily enough? They're 20 euros on superskoda: http://www.superskoda.com/Skoda/FABIA-III/Fabia-III-under-the-front-seat-storage-box-original-Skoda-LEFT and http://www.superskoda.com/Skoda/FABIA-III/Fabia-III-under-the-front-seat-storage-box-original-Skoda-RIGHT

I'm still awaiting the arrival of my new Fabia.  Very disappointed that the underseat boxes are now not even an option that could have been added.  I think I would much rather have had boxes than the umbrella thats included under the passenger seat.  Boxes were offered as an add on in my Mk11 Fabia and I will miss having them so once the new car arrives I will be looking to order from superskoda.  Obviously the box under the drivers seat should be an easy fit, have others fitted the box under the passenger seat?  Will I have to lose the umbrella?

The umbrella is really handy tbh. The lack of rear USBs is a bit tight, but I guess they have to cut costs. For me, the large amount of foam used between the A post and wing is a recipe for rust in the future. It seems to get wet too. There's a fair bit of sealant behind the foam but looking at VWs that had this in the wheel arches, I'm sure rust will get in there. I don't keep cars too long so not a worry for me.

On 30/05/2019 at 14:09, BarryG said:

The umbrella is really handy tbh. The lack of rear USBs is a bit tight, but I guess they have to cut costs. For me, the large amount of foam used between the A post and wing is a recipe for rust in the future. It seems to get wet too. There's a fair bit of sealant behind the foam but looking at VWs that had this in the wheel arches, I'm sure rust will get in there. I don't keep cars too long so not a worry for me.

No, it's ok Barry, it won't rust with that foam in there even if it gets a bit wet. It won't absorb water. Manufacturers have been doing that for years. The main purpose is to help sound deaden the car and prevent resonance traveling through the body from road noise and vibration. My new C3 has it as does our works C4 and several other makes of car. It also helps block unnecessary airflow. My sisters old C3 with was over 12 years old when she got rid and it too had the foam and no rust.

The auto lights have always been standard on the SEL, don't think they've ever been standard on anything else. Interestingly, they're standard across the range on the Polo and Ibiza. I wonder if this is to try and prevent the morons who drive around in pitch black with just the DRLs on? 

There are 2 kinds of auto lights in the Fabia (and Polo/Ibiza). One has the old-style sensor cluster stuck to the windscreen, and includes auto wipers and auto-dimming rear view mirror. The other uses a small sensor on the top of the dash, under a small square piece of black plastic (presumably translucent enough for the sensor to work!). You can see an image of the two different systems on the configurator. On the SE model, the basic dash-top sensor is £80 and is called 'Light Assistant', while the full system with the auto wipers etc is called 'Light and Rain Assistant' and is £205. 

The SEL always has a sensor cluster stuck to the windscreen, but this isn't always a light and rain sensor. This is because the climate control also has a sensor up there. There are 3 types of windscreen sensors- one that just does condensation for the climate control (the standard unit on the SEL, or if you add climate to an SE), one that does light and rain (adding the 'Light and Rain Assistant' to an SE), and one that does light, rain, and condensation (adding the 'Light and Rain Assistant' to an SEL, or that and climate to an SE). If you have a sensor cluster of any kind on the windscreen, you'll get an auto-dimming mirror.

Quite why the SEL doesn't just get the full light and rain sensor as standard I don't know, given that it can't cost that much more to fit that sensor in the screen instead of the climate only one, and it would save them from having to put in the light sensor on the dash! My mum had a 2013 Superb S, an early Mk.2 Facelift car, and that had the sensor cluster on the windscreen for the auto lights, and apparently you could program in auto wipers! 

I believe that the windscreen mounted sensor gives you the option to chose when your auto lights turn on in the infotainment system settings. 

• 2 months later...

I must admit the specs confuse me. I have a 2016 (65) SEL with climate control and have auto lights but not wipers. I don’t have usb in the back either. What confused me the other week is my car locked itself when I walked over the road. I went back and unlocked it and tried again keeping the key away from me pressing any buttons and it locked itself again. Now it doesn’t do it anymore and suspect it has the go version as I have a button to start. If it is the go version of kessy then it shouldn’t self lock anyway. Ive tried to see if it will self lock again or open but it doesn’t so wither myself and my wife are going crazy and it didn’t do it that day (very possible) or it went wrong for some reason. 

Next oddity is is in car settings there is a tick box for auto rear wiper but it never comes on unless I turn it on. I’ve read the manual but it has all the features in it and I’m not sure which ones I have. 

2 hours ago, MKOK said:

I don’t have an SD card reader either in the glove box. I take not all do? I do have car play

Neither does ours as it has the Swing radio so it has the SD card slot built in to the HU instead. 

So as mentioned in another thread I eventually found the SD card reader and reading the manual in more detail the rear wiper auto is when the car is in reverse only. I’m getting there!