Driving lights on Superb mk 2.

Hi folks. Could anyone advise? Got the above car and the driving lights are ‘normal’ bulbs and it looks like I’ve got my fogs on. I’d love to replace them with leds. Has anyone done this, and if so, do you have to change the whole light fitting, or is it possible to get a bulb that will just fit the existing one? Cheers! J

imageproxy.php?img=&key=66c1d7df650950da

I have tried various types from Ebay, I have settled on these and very happy with them, looks like they are on offer too at the mo:

https://www.powerbulbs.com/product/philips-x-tremeultinon-led-gen2-p21w-6000k-twin?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI7_2il-T84gIVggvTCh0GLAssEAQYAyABEgJTjPD_BwE

I had to turn off my bulb monitoring for the cheapo versions previously fitted and left it off so I can't say if it would trigger the bulb out warning, but that is easy to turn off if you have VCDS or can get to someone with it. I may turn it (bulb monitoring) back on and let you know it you are seriously considering them. 

***** *******   UPDATE:  ***********

I turned the bulb monitoring back on and I don't get a bulb out warning. I do get the scan flashing for 2 seconds which is the normal pulsed voltage sent to the bulbs to check the resistance which tells the control unit if the bulb has blown or not.

Edited by 3T51704x4
  • Like 2

They are ALL not for road use, at least these have a beam pattern which is as close as possible to a bulb and doesn't dazzle as other cheapo LED's I've tried do,

Phillips make automotive bulbs and know what they are doing, very strange shape to it for that reason. Fits the normal bulb holder without issue.

Edited by 3T51704x4

7 hours ago, bren_j@live said:

Cheers mate. Says they’re not road legal though 😱 Do they fit in the same ‘harness’ as the originals? Thanks again.

If you're worried about it being legal, leave it alone. The only legal bulb option is the one fitted as standard.

• Like 1

On 22/06/2019 at 10:25, bren_j@live said:

Hi folks. Could anyone advise? Got the above car and the driving lights are ‘normal’ bulbs and it looks like I’ve got my fogs on. I’d love to replace them with leds. Has anyone done this, and if so, do you have to change the whole light fitting, or is it possible to get a bulb that will just fit the existing one? Cheers! J

Some clarity needed here, which bulbs are you referring to as "driving lights"?

Dipped headlights or daytime running lights?

Swapping out your DRL's from incandescent to LED's isn't going to make them look any less like fog lights.

This Superb has it's dipped headlights and front fog lights on...

Image result for 2010 skoda superb

This one has its dipped headlights and front fog lights off, so the DRL's are on...

skoda-superb-2010-skoda-superb-elegance-tdi-cr-est_image3_w684h513_400.jpg

Or do you have the facelift?

With xenon's so LED DRL's in the headlight...

Image result for 2014 skoda superb

Or without xenon's, so the DRL is incandescent, not LED, but still incorporated into the headlight...

Image result for 2014 skoda superb

Edited by silver1011
  • Like 1

On ‎22‎/‎06‎/‎2019 at 10:34, 3T51704x4 said:

imageproxy.php?img=&key=66c1d7df650950da

I have tried various types from Ebay, I have settled on these and very happy with them, looks like they are on offer too at the mo:

https://www.powerbulbs.com/product/philips-x-tremeultinon-led-gen2-p21w-6000k-twin?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI7_2il-T84gIVggvTCh0GLAssEAQYAyABEgJTjPD_BwE

I had to turn off my bulb monitoring for the cheapo versions previously fitted and left it off so I can't say if it would trigger the bulb out warning, but that is easy to turn off if you have VCDS or can get to someone with it. I may turn it (bulb monitoring) back on and let you know it you are seriously considering them. 

***** *******   UPDATE:  ***********

I turned the bulb monitoring back on and I don't get a bulb out warning. I do get the scan flashing for 2 seconds which is the normal pulsed voltage sent to the bulbs to check the resistance which tells the control unit if the bulb has blown or not.

do they dim out like the incandescent bulbs?

1 hour ago, superbdreams said:

do they dim out like the incandescent bulbs?

? Never noticed the DRL dimming with the bulb or LED.

The LEDs fitted to the fog/corner lights ramp up and dim similar to bulbs which were removed though when turning the steering wheel if that’s what you meant.

4C2AA2F9-5535-4D4B-9D8A-8C1CA959C1CC.png

Edited by 3T51704x4

The bulbs linked earlier are P21W. The only light function they'll fit on the front of the Superb is the DRL, so there is no fade in or fade out function.

As mentioned this only occurs on the front cornering fog lights, but the fog lights don't use P21W.

We need clarity on which bulbs the OP is referring to.

• Like 1

If you are after the H8 fog/corner LEDs, I used these which are also on discount. They also don’t bring on the bulb monitor. They don’t dazzle due to there engineered beam pattern and these do slowly turn on and off with the cornering function.

They are suggested to last 12 years unless you have a bird strike 😉

https://www.powerbulbs.com/product/x-tremeultinon-gen2-led-fog-lights-h8-h11-h16-twin?gclid=EAIaIQobChMItPSU0r6B4wIVzLDtCh2ScAkFEAQYASABEgL5P_D_BwE

Listed as not for road use also, went through MOT without mention.

Edited by 3T51704x4
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, silver1011 said:

The bulbs linked earlier are P21W. The only light function they'll fit on the front of the Superb is the DRL, so there is no fade in or fade out function.

As mentioned this only occurs on the front cornering fog lights, but the fog lights don't use P21W.

We need clarity on which bulbs the OP is referring to.

oh yes you are right, I was thinking of the fogs  /cornering which do fade

sorry

• Like 1

12 hours ago, 3T51704x4 said:

If you are after the H8 fog/corner LEDs, I used these which are also on discount. They also don’t bring on the bulb monitor. They don’t dazzle due to there engineered beam pattern and these do slowly turn on and off with the cornering function.

https://www.powerbulbs.com/product/x-tremeultinon-gen2-led-fog-lights-h8-h11-h16-twin?gclid=EAIaIQobChMItPSU0r6B4wIVzLDtCh2ScAkFEAQYASABEgL5P_D_BwE

£120 for two fog bulbs... rofl

The Chinese cloned the older Philips fog design which is considerably more affordable: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Brand-new-LED-fog-6000K-H8-H11-H16-LED-fog-valve-X-treme-Ultinon/32611184356.html

Seem to work well enough in my Octavia with similar optics, I did reprogram the BCM to avoid warning lights though :)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, superbdreams said:

£120 for two fog bulbs... rofl

Precision engineered LEDs which are expected to work for 12 years which can be removed and sold or used in another car.

The standard xenon D1S envelopes in the headlights are that each with vat for genuine parts.

Its not for everyone’s budget, but I like the car  but I want it the way I want it and I didn’t like the yellow candles previously fitted and I had problems with some cheap ones from China which blinded oncoming drivers so I decided to invest in them. There will be good ones from China, just I haven’t come across them.

In my view, they should have come standard, but the LEDs weren’t developed properly back then.

On 24/06/2019 at 07:33, 3T51704x4 said:

Got mine today, serious but of kit aren't they!

1 hour ago, StuH78 said:

Got mine today, serious but of kit aren't they!

I was surprised how well made they were. The Philips logo needs to be horizontal to get the correct beam pattern. Use small cable ties to secure the driver pack to the back of the light unit to give strain relief on the lead.

I didn’t turn off the bulb monitoring on my fogs, you will get the initial start up pulse on an ignition cycle, (part of bulb monitoring function for the incandescent bulbs).

If you don’t like that, just turn off the monitoring but will need some sort of diagnostic device.

Enjoy!

You will want to do the DRL to keep it uniform next 😉

Edited by 3T51704x4

Thanks for the advice, was wondering! Can you turn off the bulb monitoring on individual bulbs or is it all or nothing?

I've done the DRL's, side lights to do!

52 minutes ago, StuH78 said:

Thanks for the advice, was wondering! Can you turn off the bulb monitoring on individual bulbs or is it all or nothing?

I've done the DRL's, side lights to do!

Yes in pairs. ie, both number plate lights when fitting LED upgrade, or DRL’s or fogs. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, StuH78 said:

I have OBDeleven which can do it if needed.

I'm not sure if OBDeleven will support these changes and I'd be wary as it tends to hide what's actually happening...

In short, your Superb will probably have a PQ35/46 BCM (p/n 1K0 937 08x xx) which means the lighting configuration is controlled by a section of EEPROM that most tools can't access. Even VCDS can't backup/restore the config which is why there are so many 'byte 18' threads.

Typically, VCP or ODIS-e are used to tweak the lighting config on these cars and either can be used to backup the lighting configuration first.

• Like 1

On 24/06/2019 at 23:37, 3T51704x4 said:

Precision engineered LEDs which are expected to work for 12 years which can be removed and sold or used in another car.

The standard xenon D1S envelopes in the headlights are that each with vat for genuine parts.

Its not for everyone’s budget, but I like the car  but I want it the way I want it and I didn’t like the yellow candles previously fitted and I had problems with some cheap ones from China which blinded oncoming drivers so I decided to invest in them. There will be good ones from China, just I haven’t come across them.

In my view, they should have come standard, but the LEDs weren’t developed properly back then.

LEDs were available then but my guess is that the LED units themselves were more expensive and they'd have to design the optics to suit the different light source. With the best will in the world, an LED will never be quite right in optics designed for an incandescent light source. If it were, I'd have expected the likes of Philips and OSRAM to have gotten them ECE approved as replacements by now as there's a large market out there for upgrades and OEM supply. It'd be interesting to see what they'd look like on a beam setting machine compared to the standard bulb.

14 minutes ago, chimaera said:

LEDs were available then but my guess is that the LED units themselves were more expensive and they'd have to design the optics to suit the different light source. With the best will in the world, an LED will never be quite right in optics designed for an incandescent light source. If it were, I'd have expected the likes of Philips and OSRAM to have gotten them ECE approved as replacements by now as there's a large market out there for upgrades and OEM supply. It'd be interesting to see what they'd look like on a beam setting machine compared to the standard bulb.

Next time it gets an MOT I will ask to take a photo for you. They were happy with  the pattern.

1 hour ago, 3T51704x4 said:

Next time it gets an MOT I will ask to take a photo for you. They were happy with  the pattern.

I don't think the UK MOT checks the fog light beam pattern or cutoff, only that they work (where fitted)?

I asked them to check it as I had fitted the LEDs, I always used to check the beam when I was an mot tester at the local official Porsche Centre. if it was above the line, I would drop it down so as not to blind people.

Was always funny when the ministry turned up to check our testers for the annual currency test as we only ever did Porsche vehicles (even though anyone could pitch up for a test) and he turned up in a Ford Sierra.

I am not current now so you could well be correct.

Makes sense to check them at the same time as the driving lights and headlights fitted on those vehicles, how else do you know if they are correct? I then used to do the service in the upstairs workshop so saves time as the service requires them to be checked/adjusted and the beam tester was down in the MOT bay.

Fogs don’t have the 15 degree kickup , it is a flat line.

Edited by 3T51704x4
  • Like 1