Vcds hex can usb compatibility with 2019 Skodas

delitfol

Hi all,

I have owned the genuine hex can usb cable for years, I read that the cable no longer works with newer audi’S, does this also mean that it will not work with a 2019 Karoq ?

What limitations are there?

thanks

It'll work for some stuff, but the majority will be lost to you I'm afraid. Quite what will work I don't know, but most essential stuff will give errors saying something along the lines of "You need a new interface to do this mate!".

Regardless of brand, VCDS only supports MY19 or newer vehicles with a current interface so you'd need to upgrade/replace your cable with a HEX-V2 or HEX-NET.

If it were an older car (MY15-MY18), you'd get partial support from a HEX-CAN but not on a MY19 😞

The gits, I bet they did this because they realised the potential of having an unlimited VIN interfaces being used commercially!

thanks for the advice, I will switch to Bosch if rosstech are going to do this often 

Also, next year (supposedly) Ross Tech will be releasing the next generation of hardware to pre empt future changes which VAG may (or may not) implement on newer models, namely DoIP. So unless you're the type who absolutely needs the latest generation of iphone (for example) then I'd suggest holding out for one of those. That way you'd leap frog a generation of hardware changes and save having this conversation again in a couple of years time. Again though, this is VAG implementing changes beyond the scope of Ross Techs hardware, and even their own current ODIS is not compatible with DoIP.

Personally, I can't see DoIP landing any day soon so I'm happy to stick with my current Hex V2 for the forseeable.

There is an upgrade program to trade your old interface in to get a discount on the new one.

Alternatively, you might find it better to sell your HEX-CAN on eBay or similar as it's likely to cover the cost of a 3-VIN HEX-V2 or even most of a 10-VIN HEX-V2 (better value).

If you've got a trip planned to the US or know someone that has, it's a good idea to buy one directly from Rosstech as it works out cheaper. Same for the 3 to 10 and 10 to unlimited VIN upgrades ;)

I take the comments back, blaming rosstech, though I did think I would be safe though for future buying a genuine rosstech product .

i will look into the trade in program as the Bosch KTS (I have access to) can’t do adaptations as detailed.

Thanks all for the advice!! 

30 minutes ago, delitfol said:

I take the comments back, blaming rosstech, though I did think I would be safe though for future buying a genuine rosstech product .

Even Ross-Tech don't have a crystal ball that can predict changes that VAG will make over 15 years in the future (remember the HEX-CAN was designed in the early years of this Millennium) B)

Good too read the above, I can sympathise. 

My last last job was as a diagnostic technical author writing GFF on ODIS for Lamborghini. They are a little behind some of the VAG group but even that was complicated enough. 

• 2 weeks later...

Yes.  The new units cover 1995 through 2019.  The V2 does not cover Lambo.  For Lambo you have to go HEX-NET.

With an adapter cable, the units cover back to 1990 diagnostic cable vehicles.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Someone can tell me, what limitations has the HEX-Can cable? I have a 2019 Octavia (2019 march), and I can't use adatation in (09)cenral erect, and it can't knows the labels of this address:

Address 09: Cent. Elect. (J519) Labels: None
Part No SW: 5Q0 937 084 DC HW: 5Q0 937 084 CF
Component: BCM MQBAB M+ H38 0273
Serial number: 00001904201150
Coding: 000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000
Shop #: WSC 73430 790 00000
ASAM Dataset: EV_BCMMQB 019001
ROD: EV_BCMBOSCH_019_VW37.rod
VCID: 7CF742F0F7EB6FAA81-8028

Edited by Guest

Limitations:  on 2016 through 2019 vehicles, an address scheme change by VAG on their cars resulted in the HEX+CAN interface no longer being able to address all modules.  The HEX-NET and HEX-V2 were released to mitigate the problem and allow our users to continue working on all VAG from 1995 through 2019 and beyond (looks like 2020 models will not have any significant communications changes and our present offerings will continue work on those). 

So, while the HEX+CAN may speak to some modules in your 2019, it will not speak to all. 

As to labels and such, 2019 data is still being added to VCDS just like in every other new year.  The work can only start when data is acquired from our user base. 

Is there any other information need with which we might help?

Yes, I have few more questions:

- If I can see: Status: INTERFACE NOT COMPATIBLE , it means the Hex+CAN not speak this module?

- If "only" the labels missing, I will work with the module, after the labels will be available?

- Without the label can I use the VCDS to do something with the module, or it isn't allowed?

8 minutes ago, Zippair said:

Yes, I have few more questions:

- If I can see: Status: INTERFACE NOT COMPATIBLE , it means the Hex+CAN not speak this module?

- If "only" the labels missing, I will work with the module, after the labels will be available?

- Without the label can I use the VCDS to do something with the module, or it isn't allowed?

Correct - if the interface is not compatible, it means the HEX+CAN cannot speak to the module.

Correct - if the labels are not available, it means the release of VCDS you are using did not have the labels for that module at the release.  When the labels are added to VCDS, then they should load for that module.

Without the labels, you can use the tool on the module but you only get our "guesses" from a similar module if we have info from one.  It may be that when you look at live values and when you look to code the module, there is nothing labeled and it may not give any help at all.  The bits in a coding word may have no descriptions.  Playing with such unlabeled bits is the equivalent of pouring gasoline on a burning fire.  Stand back and watch things go terribly wrong. 

Edited by bearthebruce
  • Like 1