1st Yeti 4X4

WHITT

Hello Everyone,

I have just - within the last week purchased my 1st Yeti. I have had the 2015 outdoor with a DSG gearbox. 1st time with a DSG gearbox as well. The car is fitted with an off road button which I don't completely understand. Is the car in 4X4 only when I press this button? I did press it when I was on a fairly steep hill but the car didn't move !! I turned it off and the car just pulled away as normal. 

I'm not sure about the DSG gearbox either it's very different from any other automatic that I have driven. Any tips or guidance with be very mush appreciated.

Another thing is that it doesn't come with a satnav can I upgrade it  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, WHITT said:

Hello Everyone,

I have just - within the last week purchased my 1st Yeti. I have had the 2015 outdoor with a DSG gearbox. 1st time with a DSG gearbox as well. The car is fitted with an off road button which I don't completely understand. Is the car in 4X4 only when I press this button? I did press it when I was on a fairly steep hill but the car didn't move !! I turned it off and the car just pulled away as normal. 

I'm not sure about the DSG gearbox either it's very different from any other automatic that I have driven. Any tips or guidance with be very mush appreciated.

Welcome.

If you have a Handbook with your car there is an excellent description of what the Off Road Button does included. If you do not have one then page 112 et seq of the following link might help:

https://ws.skoda-auto.com/OwnersManualService/Data/en/Yeti_5L/05-2017/Manual/Yeti/A-SUV_Yeti_OwnersManual.pdf

The Yeti 4x4 is normally a front wheel drive car that is fitted with a Haldex drive unit that electronically automatically senses if slippage occurs with the front wheels and gradually feeds drive to the rear axle. This has nothing to do with the ORB. That controls various other systems as specified in the link above. If you have any queries about this please ask again.

The DSG gearbox is technically not an automatic in the usual sense, but a twin clutch gearbox, so should not just be left "in gear" when you are stopped, but should preferably be put in neutral. As I do not have a DSG box I cannot offer any more advice, sorry.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, WHITT said:

1. Never leave it in Drive, Sport or Reverse with just the parking brake on.
  2. Never hold it on a hill just using a tiny amount of throttle, always use the foot-operated brake.

Either of these will wear the clutches in the box significantly, whereas the foot-operated brake disengages said clutches.

Otherwise, just treat it like a torque converter automatic.

I find in heavy crawling traffic that it is best to select the sport mode as it then stays in 1st gear longer, and will change back down to first at very low speed. In drive it goes to second as soon as the car is moving, and will not change down to 1st again until the car stops. This can leave it slipping the clutch in second gear when trying to speed up from near stationary.

If in a situation where you dont want any hesitation when pulling away, say into a roundabout, it is best to turn off stop and start temporarily, if it is fitted to your car.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 26/06/2019 at 14:14, WHITT said:

Hello Everyone,

Congratulations on a great car!!

The off-road button is to engage permanent 4-wheel drive at low speeds when driving off-road. It will change the settings of your car's safety features to allow for off-road driving (such as softer accelerator response), as well as engage a hill descent feature allowing you to take your foot off the accelerator and let the car maintain the same speed.

The DSG gearbox (dual clutch) I've found to be extremely smooth when changing gears. More so than on the Audi A6 I had previously.

Regarding Satnav, if your Yeti supports Android Auto or Apple Carplay or Mirroring you can connect your phone via the USB port and use Google Maps or Waze and view/control it from your Yeti's in-car-entertainment system.

Well may you enjoy your Yeti!!

6 hours ago, GaffCelticViking said:

The off-road button is to engage permanent 4-wheel drive at low speeds when driving off-road.

No it isn't.  It does do the other things you describe but it doesn't change the way the Haldex works.  As Llanigraham says, the functions activated by the Off-Road button are described in the owner's manual.  For the benefit of the OP, here is what it says in the November 2015 edition of same:

OFF ROAD-mode

􏰀 Introduction

This chapter contains information on the following subjects:

Operation 129

Hill Descent Assistant 130

TCSOFF ROAD 130

EDS OFF ROAD 130

ABS OFF ROAD 130

Start-Off Assistant 131

The OFF ROAD mode includes several features that help to overcome difficult navigable routes when travelling on non-paved roads.

But even with OFF ROAD mode activated, your vehicle is never a true SUV.

CAUTION
 The OFF ROAD mode is not designed for the use on common roads.

All four wheels must be fitted with the same tyres approved by the manufac- turer to ensure theOFF ROAD mode operates correctly.

Operation

􏰀Read and observe and on page 129 first.

We recommend that you activate the OFF ROAD mode for every trip on non- paved roads.

Activating
 Press the symbol button 􏰂 » Fig. 142.

WARNING
 The general information relating to the use of assistance systems must

be observed » page 127, in section Introduction.
 A lack of fuel can cause irregular engine running or cause the engine to shut down. This would lead the OFF ROAD mode to lose its effectiveness - risk of accident!

Fig. 142
OFF ROAD button

The symbol in the button comes on.

Deactivate

Press the symbol key 􏰂 » Fig. 142 or turn the ignition off. The symbol in the button is no longer illuminated.

􏰃

Assist systems

So that an engagement of the OFF ROAD mode can take place, the following conditions must be met.

• 􏰁  The OFF ROAD mode is enabled.

• 􏰁  The vehicle is moving at a speed of less than 30 km/h.

• 􏰁  The warning light 􏰄 illuminates in the instrument cluster.

The following functions are integrated in the OFF ROAD mode.
     Downhill Drive Support » page 130.
     TCS OFF ROAD » page 130.
     EDL OFF ROAD » page 130.

ABS OFF ROAD » page 130.
     Start-Off Assistant » page 131.

Note
    If the engine stalls while driving and is started again within 30 seconds, then OFF ROAD mode will be automatically activated.

Hill Descent Assistant

􏰀Read and observe and on page 129 first.

The hill descent assistant (hereinafter referred to as assistant), with its auto- matic braking action on all wheels, ensures a constant speed is maintained on a steep slope when driving forwards and reversing.

During an intervention of the Assistants, the warning light 􏰄 flashes in the in- strument cluster.

The assistant is automatically engaged under the following conditions.

• 􏰁  The engine is running.

• 􏰁  For vehicles with Manual transmission the shift lever is in the neutral position and or the 1st, 2nd, 3rd gear, or reverse gear is engaged.

• 􏰁  On vehicles with an automatic transmission, the selector lever is in the R, N, D, S position or in the Tiptronic position.

• 􏰁  The downhill gradient is at least 10 % (when driving over sleepers, the limit can briefly drop to 8 %).

• 􏰁  Neither the accelerator nor the brake pedal is operated.

Driving speed
    Initiate the downhill decent at a reasonable speed up to 30 km / h the hill de- scent assist maintains this speed when driving downhill constant.

The assistant can maintain constant speed of about 2 - 30 km / h.130 Driving

If a forwards or reverse gear is engaged for vehicles with Manual transmission, the speed must be high enough to avoid stalling the engine.

By pressing the accelerator or brake pedal, the speed can be increased or reduced. This is true even if the shift lever is in the neutral position and the selector lever in the N position. The engagement of the assistant is resumed after the pedal is released.

Note
During an active intervention of the assistant, the brake lights do not light up.

TCSOFF ROAD

􏰀 Read and observe and on page 129 first.

The ASR OFF ROAD makes starting and driving on an unpaved surface easier as it partially allows wheel-spin.

Note
When disabled, the TCS » Fig. 140 on page 127 OFF ROAD mode works without the support of the TCS OFF ROAD.

EDS OFF ROAD

The EDS supports OFF ROAD vehicle traction when driving on a surface with different grip under the drive wheels or when driving over bumps.

A spinning wheel or wheels are braked earlier and with more force than with the intervention of the standard EDS system.

ABS OFF ROAD

WARNING
For the correct operation of the assistant the road surface must be suffi- ciently adherent. The assistant cannot properly fulfil its function on slushy soil due to physical reasons (e.g. ice or mud). - there is a risk of an accident!

The ABS OFF ROAD supports the driver when braking on an unpaved surface such as gravel, snow, etc.

􏰃

The system generated by a controlled locking of the wheels braked wheel before a “wedge” of piled material, which shortens the braking distance.

The system is only available, if the front wheels are in the straight-ahead position.

The system operates at speeds of up to 50 km/h.

Start-Off Assistant 1)

􏰀 Read and observe and on page 129 first.

The Start-Off assistant assists the driver when setting off, such as on a steep slope or on a slippery surface. When the driver presses the accelerator, the maximum engine speed is electronically limited so that a gentle approach is possible.

Edited by ejstubbs
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, GaffCelticViking said:

The off-road button is to engage permanent 4-wheel drive at low speeds when driving off-road. It will change the settings of your car's safety features to allow for off-road driving (such as softer accelerator response), as well as engage a hill descent feature allowing you to take your foot off the accelerator and let the car maintain the same speed.

Totally, completely and utterly INCORRECT!!
The 4 wheel drive system is activated automatically, without any buttons being being pressed.

1 hour ago, Llanigraham said:

Totally, completely and utterly INCORRECT!!
The 4 wheel drive system is activated automatically, without any buttons being being pressed.

I stand corrected, though having read this not in the manual but in a review of the Yeti. Please could you tell me how it works, both during normal drive and when in off-road mode?

5 minutes ago, GaffCelticViking said:

I stand corrected, though having read this not in the manual but in a review of the Yeti. Please could you tell me how it works, both during normal drive and when in off-road mode?

Have you not read the post above by ejstubbs ?

1 minute ago, GaffCelticViking said:

Then whoever wrote that review was a fool!
The Yeti is equipped with a Haldex system. Simplistically: This senses if slippage occurs in a front wheel and gradually introduces drive to the rear axle. It can also be activated automatically if it senses a situation that might induce wheel spin, such as starting on full lock. 
When driving in normal conditions the Haldex system is probably never activated, but if off-road or on snow or ice it is totally automatic and in many situations probaby happens un-noticed.
There is a full description of what the Off Road Button does in the link I provided earlier and in post by ejstubbs above.

• Like 1

Just now, Urrell said:

Have you not read the post above by ejstubbs ?

Yes, I have read it and the same in my own manual. It still makes me none-the-wiser regarding the Haldex/off-road/four-wheel-drive capabilities. How and when they engage?  I'd prefer a for "Dummies" response so that I can understand it as opposed to a RTFM response. 🙂

2 minutes ago, Llanigraham said:

Then whoever wrote that review was a fool!
The Yeti is equipped with a Haldex system. Simplistically: This senses if slippage occurs in a front wheel and gradually introduces drive to the rear axle. It can also be activated automatically if it senses a situation that might induce wheel spin, such as starting on full lock. 
When driving in normal conditions the Haldex system is probably never activated, but if off-road or on snow or ice it is totally automatic and in many situations probaby happens un-noticed.
There is a full description of what the Off Road Button does in the link I provided earlier and in post by ejstubbs above.

Thanks! This now makes sense to me.

1 minute ago, GaffCelticViking said:

Thanks! This now makes sense to me.

Good. 

However I would suggest that RTFM actually is a good idea, especially since the complete section I linked to above , and the cut'n'pasted by ejstubbs, is probably one of the most plainly written and understandable sections in the Handbook.

I have always been under the impression that there is always about a 5% drive to the rear and this increases when the systems detects probability to slip etc, probably not explained very well!

9just finished cutting my grass and am a little f**ked)

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Frenchtone said:

I have always been under the impression that there is always about a 5% drive to the rear and this increases when the systems detects probability to slip etc, probably not explained very well!

9just finished cutting my grass and am a little f**ked)

Correct - mainly because the multi plate clutch is spring loaded to take up any "free play", which enables the hydraulic progressive engagement to take place instantaneously when the ecu detects actual or potential need for the drive to "lock" up.

As said before, all automatic - and no, there are no diff locks - the ABS takes care of any errant wheel waving in the air. There are further tweaks, like an off-road button (if fitted) and switching off ASR (traction control) if getting into difficult territory!!

Don't forget, it's just a Golf 4x4 shopping car, but can be very capable in the right hands. 

• Like 1

Thank you @Frenchtone and @Yety for clarifying. RTFM doesn't have this information and it seems other sources (mainly car review sites) have varied information. Is there a definitive source on the subject?

Oh, and the Skoda Yeti is far more than a glorified WV Golf 4x4 shopping cart. It's a piece of Heaven on Wheels. 🙂

Google Haldex to learn more about it.
The early 4x4 Yetis were fitted with Haldex 4 and later ones Haldex 5, both do about the same but have different service needs. The Haldex 4 has a filter that requires changing along with the oil and the Haldex 5 has a strainer that needs cleaning when doing an oil change. As the clutch pack for engaging the 4x4 runs in oil all wear particles are distributed round with the oil and block the filter or later screen so it is imperative to have it serviced as per the service schedule.

20 minutes ago, Urrell said:

Google Haldex to learn more about it.
The early 4x4 Yetis were fitted with Haldex 4 and later ones Haldex 5, both do about the same but have different service needs. The Haldex 4 has a filter that requires changing along with the oil and the Haldex 5 has a strainer that needs cleaning when doing an oil change. As the clutch pack for engaging the 4x4 runs in oil all wear particles are distributed round with the oil and block the filter or later screen so it is imperative to have it serviced as per the service schedule.

I recently booked my service online for my Skoda Yeti, and nowhere does it say anything about Haldex oil change. I went back to check again and it's not mentioned anywhere. I've seen it mentioned by others as non-serviceable by Skoda. I've also seen a Youtube video of someone changing the Haldex oil and cleaning the filter on a Golf. I'm somewhat tempted to do it myself, even though I admittedly haven't' a clue what I'm doing.

I've seen the videos of Haldex 4 and 5, though I'm still wondering if there's a definitive source for the Skoda Yeti on the matter. A professional service manual perhaps (yes, I haven't a clue)?

Edited by GaffCelticViking
Added link to video on how to change Haldex 5 oil and clean the filter.

4 hours ago, GaffCelticViking said:

I recently booked my service online for my Skoda Yeti, and nowhere does it say anything about Haldex oil change. I went back to check again and it's not mentioned anywhere. I've seen it mentioned by others as non-serviceable by Skoda. I've also seen a Youtube video of someone changing the Haldex oil and cleaning the filter on a Golf. I'm somewhat tempted to do it myself, even though I admittedly haven't' a clue what I'm doing.

You may find my post in this thread useful, you don't find the other maintenance items listed in the general service brochures.  But if you are in for the service ask a friendly bod at the service desk to print out a list of all the maintenance tasks and when they should be done.  You'll probably end up with a bit of paper similar to what I received with the tasks listed in that thread.  It won't mention dismantling the Gen 5 haldex and cleaning the filter every 30-40k however, but if you can find a reputable Indie VAG garage to do it for you it'd probably work out a lot cheaper than a new Haldex.  It might not be as cost effective if paying main dealer labour rates though.

4 hours ago, Urrell said:

Needs servicing at 40,000 miles
If you haven't a clue please do not attempt to service the Haldex yourself.
Do you have VCDS?

You may need this to understand what VCDS is. https://www.gendan.co.uk/vcds-hex-usb-can.php

I'll get it sorted one way or another. Probably end up doing it myself with a mechanically minded friend to keep an eye on me. 🙂 I'm all for Learning-by-Doing. I'm comfortable with VCDS, it's software after all. It's the getting-my-hands-dirty-part (I'm not a mechanic) that's a challenge.

I'd rather service it now, at 50 000 KM than waiting for another 10 000 KM. I plan to keep my Yeti for life, until either it or I die, whichever comes first. 😉 It's my first privately-owned car (first second-hand car too) and I wanted one since I first saw one. I'm an avid fan of Skoda, since my 2 Skoda Superb company cars. I found them far superior to my last company car, an Audi A6 (most people think I'm nuts, I know...).

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, widdershins said:

You may find my post in this thread useful, you don't find the other maintenance items listed in the general service brochures.  But if you are in for the service ask a friendly bod at the service desk to print out a list of all the maintenance tasks and when they should be done.  You'll probably end up with a bit of paper similar to what I received with the tasks listed in that thread.  It won't mention dismantling the Gen 5 haldex and cleaning the filter every 30-40k however, but if you can find a reputable Indie VAG garage to do it for you it'd probably work out a lot cheaper than a new Haldex.  It might not be as cost effective if paying main dealer labour rates though.

Thanks for this!

Skoda Ireland seem to be a tad reticent regarding the servicing of the Haldex. I'll get it sorted one way or another as I want my Yeti to last a lifetime.

A lot of threads I have read state Skoda say the Haldex is serviced at 3 years, regardless of mileage. I don't think this is very good for high mileage cars myself. I have never seen a 40k mile service interval mentioned before. I have seen people recommending it is done every 20k miles though following issues and failure. It is the wet clutch dsg which must be serviced at 40k whether or not that coincides with another routine service.

Having said that my car is 2 years old now and 28k but the Haldex has not yet been serviced.

44 minutes ago, kenfowler3966 said:

A lot of threads I have read state Skoda say the Haldex is serviced at 3 years, regardless of mileage.

I got the 40,000 from a post on here but yes 3 years looks like the recommended time.
But some say a lot more often than that as in the link below.

https://www.awesomegti.com/blog/haldex-servicing/

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 26/06/2019 at 14:14, WHITT said:

Hello Everyone,

Alan Taylor kindly shared this with me after I shared my theory and assumptions on FB: http://www.billswebspace.com/HALDEX.pdf?fbclid=IwAR0-x6wvXAzePWT3ZXrz8SOC4Zq5zDQK9AndVewLLwWfn9A6E8_a1C1aJIg

The table on page 34 of the PDF is excellent at explaining how and when the Haldex engages:

image.thumb.png.4cae40e74e754b9202bf063c5e25cbb0.png

It explains how the Haldex works, and even though it explains the 1st generation, it's applicable to the 5th generation too based on my fiddling around with the ODB II Live Data sampling. If you haven't seen the FB post, it's attached here:

Hiya!

I'm looking for insights, discussions, and facts, not derision or RTFM's (unless the manuals actually say something relevant to my THEORY below - proof or "crush"). 1f642.png🙂

I've spent a fair amount of time getting my head around how the Haldex (5th generation) works on my Skoda Yeti (4x4, 2.0 TDI, 150 BHP). I've found it challenging to get definitive and accurate information both on- and off-line. RTFM hasn't helped either as information is incomplete, at least what I have access to (I think car mechanics have proper manuals and understanding of how this works).

Having access to live data from my ODB II device I've experimented quite a bit to figure out what could possibly be happening. Based on my observations, I have a THEORY (not proof by any stretch of the imagination).

I have access to 5 Haldex data sources on my ODB II device. One of them is "Haldex Clutch Control: Degree of Blockage". I don't know what this actually does or measures, only that it reacts when I do certain things in my car such as accelerate, engage and drive off-road, and do "risky" manoeuvres.

If my THEORY (not proof) is correct this measures some form of pressure in the Haldex Clutch. If so, I can postulate (assume) the following:
  • Haldex on the Yeti is an on-demand 4x4, it is a front-drive vehicle except when conditions require rear-wheel drive too.
  • The Haldex engages when starting from standstill (above 50%) which chimes in well with what one motor-journalist has claimed.
  • The Haldex engages the rear-wheels when accelerating, the heavier the "lead-foot" 1f642.png🙂 the more the Haldex engages.
  • The Haldex engages when making gentle turns on the motorway, as well as when accelerating out of corners.
  • The Haldex engages when coming to a full stop too (5%).
  • The Haldex is in full front-wheel drive when cruising on the motorway (0%) or a national road.
  • Engaging Off-Road mode engages the Haldex permanently (continuously at 13%).

It would seem (I don't actually know) that the Haldex on the Skoda Yeti, and presumably on most cars using the Haldex, engage in a similar manner. The only time "Haldex Clutch Control: Degree of Blockage" is at 0% is when cruising on the motorway or national road.

Again, if I'm wrong then please show me how this really works (proof is nice). Please refrain from calling me an eejit without actual proof. 1f603.png😄

I've watched countless videos on how Haldex works, I've read countless sources on how Haldex works, I've trawled through countless sites with little to no further DETAILED and CORRECT insights into how the Haldex is engaged/works on the Skoda Yeti.

Love, peace, and happiness to all!!