Superb MY2020 options and prices

13 minutes ago, IanJD said:

Which is why my next car will be a TSI272 L&K estate, as soon as Skoda UK get their ar*e in gear and put up the dealer configuration tool so mine can quote me a price... 😞

This is where I am at too. There really isn't anything better in my view.  My next car will be a 272 Sportline Plus once it's actually possible to order the thing...

10 hours ago, IanJD said:

That's the whole point. Saying "I'm not paying more than £40k for a Skoda when I can get a 1-year old BMW for that" misses the point -- if you want a 1-year old car, pay £25k for a Skoda or £40k for a similarly-equipped BMW, it's your choice. If you want a new car, pay £40k for a Skoda or £55k for a similar BMW/Volvo, it's also your choice.

The BMW/Mercedes solution has more badge snobbery value if you care about that, personally I'd rather have a Q-car which goes like stink but where other drivers don't treat you like a tw*t. And yes I've had all the above, my last car was an E300 and I actually prefer the Superb, there's nothing else that gives you the same space/performance/equipment levels at anywhere near the price.

Which is why my next car will be a TSI272 L&K estate, as soon as Skoda UK get their ar*e in gear and put up the dealer configuration tool so mine can quote me a price... 😞

Well with these prices, BMW isn't "badge snobbery value" any more... Fact is BMW is higher build quality and the "same" equipment is usually done better. For example Adaptive Headlights on Superb basically suck compared to what BMW 5 series has to offer (even newest 3) with adaptive LED's. Gearbox wise BMW's auto is defo better than DSG, its engaging better (my feeling, not fact) and it reacts to user input way faster. It's also 8 speed auto and it has torque converter to keep torque linear and drive smooth as possible. It's simply the way things are done. Even the simplest thing as steering wheel is much better in 5 series (I have upgraded steering wheel with heating in my Superb). I'm also very crazy about sound deadening in the car and BMW 5 series is by far quieter than Superb... Not to mention the way computer/media screen works in BMW, simply much smoother experience. Superb's Amundsen (I have) feels laggy as hell... Basically as I said there is tons of stuff better in the 5 series. Yeah 1 year old car loses value and its "used". But with new vs used got really close for me. And me and my family always swore on "new" cars only... Yeah If Superb cost much less or some how kept pricing as it were (2 years ago they started to charge extended warranty as well in Slovenia) I'd also say BMW isn't worth the price difference. But Skoda is doing really horrible job at keeping Superb best value for money... I'm truly starting to see less and less point in some decisions on some car manufacturers and models. 

Oh and for me all these cars have super duper expensive upgrades... Like LED headlights on Superb are going to cost whopping 1.595,50 €. I think they truly lost their minds... 

Edited by JackySi
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, IanJD said:

So if you think it's worth it, buy a BMW...

I will, but this is discussion, didn't need to respond it like that. I'm not aiming to discriminate company nor "fight" people. I'm simply stating my opinion, for which these forums are built for. This car lost so much value that it really hurts... I had so much issues that I wanted to sell it after few months. Dealers were really **** too. I'm not going through same story ever again. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, JackySi said:

I will, but this is discussion, didn't need to respond it like that. I'm not aiming to discriminate company nor "fight" people. I'm simply stating my opinion, for which these forums are built for. This car lost so much value that it really hurts... I had so much issues that I wanted to sell it after few months. Dealers were really **** too. I'm not going through same story ever again. 

And the other side is that I haven't had a single problem in 3 years and my dealer has been fine, hence the repeat business.

My point was that if you value what BMW provides compared to Skoda that's fine, buy one. But it's not logical to say "it's over 40k for a Skoda so I'm not buying it", what matters is what it costs compared to the alternatives. Similarly saying "nobody will buy it at less than 5 years old because of the extra road tax on cars over 40k" doesn't make sense when the alternatives are a lot more than 40k and have the same issue.

Yes I agree that Skodas aren't quite the bargain they used to be, but they're also better cars. Part of the reason for the price rises in the UK is the fall in the pound since the country voted for Brexit, that's hardly Skoda's fault...

26 minutes ago, IanJD said:

And the other side is that I haven't had a single problem in 3 years and my dealer has been fine, hence the repeat business.

My point was that if you value what BMW provides compared to Skoda that's fine, buy one. But it's not logical to say "it's over 40k for a Skoda so I'm not buying it", what matters is what it costs compared to the alternatives. Similarly saying "nobody will buy it at less than 5 years old because of the extra road tax on cars over 40k" doesn't make sense when the alternatives are a lot more than 40k and have the same issue.

Yes I agree that Skodas aren't quite the bargain they used to be, but they're also better cars. Part of the reason for the price rises in the UK is the fall in the pound since the country voted for Brexit, that's hardly Skoda's fault...

Price got up in Slovenia too. So its general price change I'd say. Also like I said extended warranty was in the price before now its almost 1000€. I agree it is not comparable. I never want to spend over 35K on a car new or used, so I always look in that price range. Superb was 37K and with some discount and stuff I got it to 35. After almost 2 years it is worth 22K.

I still have suspension noise which wasn't fixed in 2 years of ownership, I've been at dealer 7x for the same issue. I had some other noise in rear suspension which was fixed after 3-4 visits. Steering wheel heating sensor keeps showing up error on the ODB and it doesn't heat up as fast as it should, I had to replace rear discs myself (bent, no idea how), my rear pads were dead at 54K km and I spent nice sum of money on extras in the car like noise insulation, sound upgrade (canton) etc. I also have some rattles I still haven't been able to solve (minor, but I get really really frustrated with them). So from my point of view in Slovenia, getting used BMW would do all that I hate about my car and value as you said. In general also my DCC seems pretty loud, like when driving over bumps it feels like cabin is vibrating or something. Its something I noticed on all "cheaper" cars like Skoda/Seat. Audi and BMW are dead quiet after same bumps/road holes... How is that possible I don't understand, probably the way suspension is set up. 

Don't get me wrong, I never liked BMW before... I got 2 days "demo" 2017 model 5 series and I just fell in love with it. All the **** that I hate about my Superb is fixed/better there. Now what I'll do next, we'll see. But I'm defo still keeping Superb for 2 years, I do love it. Compared to Octavia, Audi A4, A6 ( at least previous model ) and some other cars I've driven (that I did drive), It's really good car. In some aspects it is better than these. I also love the design of interior and exterior. Its just I overthink and over complicate everything in my life, so I keep doubting this was good buy... That's just me. So don't take me wrong.

Image result for haha smiley

Just watched a review on a BMW 440i loaded with extras by a dealer principal for use by him on a 67 plate which was sold a few months later. I suspect the person that bought saved around £20,000 buying this demo because the list price was nudging £60,000 which is M4 money. Ok the M4 is constantly trying to kill the driver with the way the power comes in and the fact they are rear wheel drive at the moment. Apart from standard Sat Nav BMW's tend to be quite basic for the power they offer as well. I have owned 2 BMW's and our local dealer tried to rip me off by overcharging every time they went in for a service.:thinking:Don't believe all the hype about the ultimate driving machine my modified Octavia is a better car than a 1990 M5 a friend owned and let me drive, it was absolutely horrid and it was only 4 years old when I drove it and it was supposed to be the best BMW (315bhp) on sale at that time.:D

On 30/06/2019 at 11:50, IanJD said:

I used PCH last time (better deal than PCP) but will do the PCP/purchase trick this time to get the £3000 extra discount -- even dealer suggested this (take PCP deal with freebies and pay off after 1 day) since you get £3000 extra saving over a cash deal. Sounds crazy but many people are doing this until VWFS close the loophole...

Can't see how they can remove the option to settle finance early, its hardly a loophole.    

Edited by juan27

1 hour ago, juan27 said:

Can't see how they can remove the option to settle finance early, its hardly a loophole.    

They can make the £3000 discount only apply if you carry on with the loan e.g. pay off immediately=no discount, pay off after 1 year=£1000 discount and so on. Not sure how this could be made legal, but I bet they could find a way if they wanted to...

8 minutes ago, IanJD said:

They can make the £3000 discount only apply if you carry on with the loan e.g. pay off immediately=no discount, pay off after 1 year=£1000 discount and so on. Not sure how this could be made legal, but I bet they could find a way if they wanted to...

I don't think they will though. Most people who take out PCP do so for legitimate reasons, so they make their money on that.

Also I'd suggest most who have the cash to pay in full do just that. My fiancé's mum just bought a new Kuga (horrible thing for the money but she was insistant on a Ford) and would've paid cash in full had I not told her about this "loophole". 

Probably only a small percentage who know about and take advantage of it, so doubt it affects dealers much. 

Just now, IanJD said:

But then it turns into a charge for settling early and subject to quite stringent rules.  I'm pretty sure charging a £3000 penalty for settling early isn't within the rules. Anyway lets make hay whilst the sun shines.  

1 hour ago, Tom34 said:

I don't think they will though. Most people who take out PCP do so for legitimate reasons, so they make their money on that.

Also I'd suggest most who have the cash to pay in full do just that. My fiancé's mum just bought a new Kuga (horrible thing for the money but she was insistant on a Ford) and would've paid cash in full had I not told her about this "loophole". 

Probably only a small percentage who know about and take advantage of it, so doubt it affects dealers much. 

Doesn't affect dealers at all, they make the same margin both ways -- it's VWFS who lose out. My dealer was quite open about this, even advised me how to do it...

1 hour ago, juan27 said:

But then it turns into a charge for settling early and subject to quite stringent rules.  I'm pretty sure charging a £3000 penalty for settling early isn't within the rules. Anyway lets make hay whilst the sun shines.  

Absolutely 🙂

39 minutes ago, IanJD said:

Doesn't affect dealers at all, they make the same margin both ways -- it's VWFS who lose out. My dealer was quite open about this, even advised me how to do it...

Absolutely 🙂

Oh really, mine was the opposite. Actually tried to tell me I couldn't pay it off so soon and had to wait 6 months. I presumed there was commission or something involved. 

9 hours ago, IanJD said:

a better comparison would be  superb v arteon   ie sportline hatchback v arteon r line

both from vag group

both similar price

both hatchbacks

both similar load capacity,  as both large cars

however,

arteon better standard spec

arteon much better looking  imo

vw badge better than skoda badge  if your into  that kind of thing

vw will probably keep its value better

personally i'd take the arteon over the superb everytime

9 hours ago, 310golfr said:

vw badge better than skoda badge

yes, it can contain rear view camera behind it :)

why Škoda didn't left empty hole for aftermarket install

• Haha 3

13 hours ago, 310golfr said:

a better comparison would be  superb v arteon   ie sportline hatchback v arteon r line

both from vag group

both similar price

both hatchbacks

both similar load capacity,  as both large cars

however,

arteon better standard spec

arteon much better looking  imo

vw badge better than skoda badge  if your into  that kind of thing

vw will probably keep its value better

personally i'd take the arteon over the superb everytime

not if you want/need an estate...

and 8k more expensive than a 272ps L&K when equipped to the same level...

Edited by IanJD

On 09/07/2019 at 13:02, IanJD said:

not if you want/need an estate...

and 8k more expensive than a 272ps L&K when equipped to the same level...

i am comparing like for like spec

r line v sportline

i can get a brand new arteon r line business 190 dsg for £27,300, from an online broker,  skodas price for a 190 dsg sportline is £36k give or take,

thats around £8500 difference, discounts wiil be available for the superb but you'll never get £8.5k off.

43 minutes ago, simhub said:

I got £8k off my 220 L&K through a broker, I would hope you can get at least as much off a Skoda as you can off a VW.

the superbs a new facelift model so discounts unlikely to be as good as run off models, 

discounts usually 8- 12 % at best, plus any finance contribution so will never be £8.5k

its not just the price difference

on a like for like model, ie r line v sportline, the  arteon is better spec, and imo better looking, its likely to hold its value better as well.

dragon green superb looks good though   😎

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 310golfr said:

its not just the price difference

on a like for like model, ie r line v sportline, the  arteon is better spec, and imo better looking, its likely to hold its value better as well.

dragon green superb looks good though   😎

??? I priced an R line 280 Arteon to the same spec as my 280 Sportline and the Arteon was several thousand pounds more expensive, with a few Sportline standard spec items missing on the Arteon 

EDIT: Apologies I missed the part about broker discounts and what deal you found. 

Edited by penguin17

1 hour ago, penguin17 said:

??? I priced an R line 280 Arteon to the same spec as my 280 Sportline and the Arteon was several thousand pounds more expensive, with a few Sportline standard spec items missing on the Arteon 

yes it looks like the list price of the arteon 280/272 is around £2.5k more than the superb, so comes down to what discounts are available.

but remember discounts are usually less on a new facelift model.

the above broker price i've quoted of just over £27k for a diesel arteon r line business 190  would always be cheaper than a discounted superb 190 sportline 

unless of course skoda reduce the prices that they have just increased   😁