Superb MY2020 options and prices

2 minutes ago, 310golfr said:

yes it looks like the list price of the arteon 280/272 is around £2.5k more than the superb, so comes down to what discounts are available.

but remember discounts are usually less on a new facelift model.

the above broker price i've quoted of just over £27k for a diesel arteon r line business 190  would always be cheaper than a discounted superb 190 sportline 

unless of course skoda reduce the prices that they have just increased   😁

Yes understood. I re-read your earlier posts again and added an edit to my post 😊

• Like 1

On 14/07/2019 at 19:28, 310golfr said:

the superbs a new facelift model so discounts unlikely to be as good as run off models, 

discounts usually 8- 12 % at best, plus any finance contribution so will never be £8.5k

Ordered L&K 272 last week, got £2500 (6%) discount from local dealer, plus £2500 "deposit contribution" from VWFS PCP (will pay off following day) so £5000 off list price -- not as much as outgoing model but no surprise...

Delivery estimate is 12 weeks from order date.

Edited by IanJD

31 minutes ago, IanJD said:

Ordered L&K 272 last week, got £2500 (6%) discount from local dealer, plus £2500 "deposit contribution" from VWFS PCP (will pay off following day) so £5000 off list price -- not as much as outgoing model but no surprise...

Delivery estimate is 12 weeks from order date.

Did you try online brokers for better discount ?

The £2500 contribution  from skoda will be standard but possibly more discount  available  online,i dont know

10% would be good but might be asking  a bit much on a new facelift model  😭

When I got my previous car I did the broker thing, the cheapest lease deal was VWFS through my local dealer. When I looked at broker prices earlier this year the discount they offered was 2% less than the best, but I decided I'd rather have a local supplier. If there are any niggles it makes it more likely they'll be sympathetic -- like they were when I had the tyre problem.

2 minutes ago, IanJD said:

When I got my previous car I did the broker thing, the cheapest lease deal was VWFS through my local dealer. When I looked at broker prices earlier this year the discount they offered was 2% less than the best, but I decided I'd rather have a local supplier. If there are any niggles it makes it more likely they'll be sympathetic -- like they were when I had the tyre problem.

That’s fair. I’ve now bought 3 cars through Drive the Deal and, despite giving local dealers opportunities to come close, none could. Will do same again though - happy to use local dealer if they truly are cheapest. 

Mine wasn't the cheapest but wasn't far off. I'd rather pay a little bit more to get better support if there are any problems -- buy from a dealer on the other side of the country and your local one will be very uninterested in fixing any snags...

• Like 1

I went into my dealer armed with quotes from CarWow and my part exchange and made the dealer a cash offer. He bumped me up £500 saying he had to show some profit and we agreed. You just have to be prepared to walk. Plus, it doesn't pay to second-guess yourself. You made the best deal you could.

It's easier when you're retired and have plenty of time for shopping around. It's also easier to be happy about it all when you've ended up with a really good car!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, IanJD said:

Mine wasn't the cheapest but wasn't far off. I'd rather pay a little bit more to get better support if there are any problems -- buy from a dealer on the other side of the country and your local one will be very uninterested in fixing any snags...

Agree in principle. I’ve never had a problem with the local dealer not caring. No different to buying at your local dealer then moving house. 

7 hours ago, slimmy said:

Agree in principle. I’ve never had a problem with the local dealer not caring. No different to buying at your local dealer then moving house. 

True in theory, all dealers should give the same customer service regardless of where the car was bought from.

In practice when there are cases where it's not 100% clear whether a problem falls under warranty or not (e.g. wheel alignment after rear tyre disaster in earlier thread) they're more likely to come down on your side if you bought the car from them (and have it serviced there) because they've already made money from you, and think they might also get business in future if they treat you nicely -- which is why I'm going back to them, so it worked on both sides 🙂

Another example is if there are any delivery snags which should have been rectified by the supplying dealer (and therefore aren't a warranty item) -- if another dealer supplied it they won't be keen to do anything to help because Skoda won't pay for it, it should come out of the dealer's margin. For example if the suspension blocks have been left in you might get a free service or similar out of the dealer if they supplied the car, but not if it was another dealer's mistake.

They were also very open about what discounts they can give (because it's set per dealer (and per car) by Skoda UK, and if another dealer can discount by more there's no way they can meet their price no matter how much their arm is twisted -- I spotted this when CarWOW prices from multiple dealers fell into several very narrow bands all separated by exactly 1% or 2%) and about how to take advantage of the PCP "deposit contribution" (sign up for any VWFS PCP deal, cost doesn't matter, but make sure you cancel the finance contract and pay it off in full the following day).

1 minute ago, xman said:

Just noticed the SEL trim has lost 9.2" Columbus, replaced with the 8” Amundsen. £960 extra to get it back.

Obviously part of the VAG profit drive to generate 3 billion extra Euro's by 2020. Reduce the spec, reduce the choice of models/engines and shove up the prices.:crying:

• Like 2

vote with yer wallet, if no one buys them, they'll soon bring the price down  😁

wish people would do the same with the £40k + road tax con instead of just paying it, they'd soon scrap it  😍

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Q102 said:

1.5TSI is back on the configurator

So it was just a glitch after all........??

Slightly different emissions/consumption figures now quoted, so maybe retested to RDE step 1?

Or modified engine to remove Kangaroos and dying phases.

Edited by xman
  • Like 1

I was considering 272 L&K estate for my next car but I'm quite unhappy after noticing that price  is just above £40K. Couldn't they just leave it below £40K like 190 diesel model? I don't want to pay extra tax of £1400 over the years. It leaves me the option of 190 petrol or 190 diesel but buying diesel might be risky, considering different bans on them in Germany and who knows what will happen in future. I may decided to buy used one which was below £40K mark.

Regarding earlier car comparisons and comments in the thread, expensive cars are as prone to rattle and other issues as cheaper ones.  I test drove Volvo V90 diesel about year and a half ago and didn't like infotainment and vertical vents. I didn't look in detail at other things, car looked ok. Cost of service is putting me off, it's on annual basis and it's not cheap. Petrol V90s have awful fuel economy, so no go.

P.S. Yes, I know, I registered years ago and probably never posted before.

Edited by Troms

2 hours ago, Troms said:

I was considering 272 L&K estate for my next car but I'm quite unhappy after noticing that price  is just above £40K. Couldn't they just leave it below £40K like 190 diesel model? I don't want to pay extra tax of £1400 over the years. It leaves me the option of 190 petrol or 190 diesel but buying diesel might be risky, considering different bans on them in Germany and who knows what will happen in future. I may decided to buy used one which was below £40K mark.

Regarding earlier car comparisons and comments in the thread, expensive cars are as prone to rattle and other issues as cheaper ones.  I test drove Volvo V90 diesel about year and a half ago and didn't like infotainment and vertical vents. I didn't look in detail at other things, car looked ok. Cost of service is putting me off, it's on annual basis and it's not cheap. Petrol V90s have awful fuel economy, so no go.

P.S. Yes, I know, I registered years ago and probably never posted before.

Oh you people and Diesels.... Diesel bans are for OLDER engine types. 6d-temp (as the new Superb will have) is extremely eco friendly engine compared to older engines. What they'll do is BAN ALL vehicles from town centers that are not at least hybrid engines... So Petrol or Diesel doesn't matter... Diesel also has perks. Yes outside it sounds like tractor, but when driving at high highway speeds (e.g. Autobahn) engine noise is not auditable and the consumption is simply a joke... Its generally also MORE reliable... 

If Diesel bans would be SOOO worrisome why would manufacturers like Audi, Mercedes and BMW still do SO many diesel engines... In fact first newest model of A6 released was available ONLY in diesel engines... Mercedes E doesn't even offer petrols unless you get AMG or something sick...

PLEASE stop worrying about bans and crap like that cause its frustrating me when reading it!!! I'm super happy with my diesel, the only reason why I'd like to get another car is cause I was an idiot and didn't get DSG. For this engine type/turbo DSG is a must (I got 190hp version).

Price wise, I agree. Newest model is expensiver. Though from what I saw they did add some new tech and stuff. Like new predictable AAC, Matrix headlights (those tempt me sooo hard!!!), new lights back, new mirror lights for dead zone or how its called in English and more stuff. Though they removed my "Pegasus" alloys which in my eyes look best on Superb... 

You may technically be right, but politics and sentiment trump technicalities.

In London, local councils are charging extra for parking any diesel vehicle including any EU6. Many councils in the UK could and probably will follow. They say it's about pollution but anyone can see its about the money.

https://www.islington.gov.uk/parking/parking-permits/diesel-surcharges

People fear future residuals will tumble. Many invested large sums of money in EU5 diesels, now find they cost a fortune to run in London and worth very little. They will not risk being caught out again.

Edited by xman
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, JackySi said:

Oh you people and Diesels.... Diesel bans are for OLDER engine types. 6d-temp (as the new Superb will have) is extremely eco friendly engine compared to older engines. What they'll do is BAN ALL vehicles from town centers that are not at least hybrid engines... So Petrol or Diesel doesn't matter... Diesel also has perks. Yes outside it sounds like tractor, but when driving at high highway speeds (e.g. Autobahn) engine noise is not auditable and the consumption is simply a joke... Its generally also MORE reliable... 

If Diesel bans would be SOOO worrisome why would manufacturers like Audi, Mercedes and BMW still do SO many diesel engines... In fact first newest model of A6 released was available ONLY in diesel engines... Mercedes E doesn't even offer petrols unless you get AMG or something sick...

PLEASE stop worrying about bans and crap like that cause its frustrating me when reading it!!! I'm super happy with my diesel, the only reason why I'd like to get another car is cause I was an idiot and didn't get DSG. For this engine type/turbo DSG is a must (I got 190hp version).

Price wise, I agree. Newest model is expensiver. Though from what I saw they did add some new tech and stuff. Like new predictable AAC, Matrix headlights (those tempt me sooo hard!!!), new lights back, new mirror lights for dead zone or how its called in English and more stuff. Though they removed my "Pegasus" alloys which in my eyes look best on Superb... 

Guess you haven't noticed that the largest new car market in the world is China? They hate diesel vehicles with a passion just ask Jaguar Land Rover how their sales are going there? They only want petrol, hybrid or pure electric vehicles. They also love SUV's as does the USA the worlds second largest new car market and they hate manuals and diesels as well. Supply and demand I am afraid.:biggrin:

16 minutes ago, shyVRS245 said:

Guess you haven't noticed that the largest new car market in the world is China? They hate diesel vehicles with a passion just ask Jaguar Land Rover how their sales are going there? They only want petrol, hybrid or pure electric vehicles. They also love SUV's as does the USA the worlds second largest new car market and they hate manuals and diesels as well. Supply and demand I am afraid.:biggrin:

I know all that... But in realistic numbers Skoda became what it is today because of the Europe... Of course all Electric is the future ( before I got my Superb I was set on Tesla model 3 or Model S ) but trucks are all diesel and newer diesels are more eco than petrols except for NOx which was not proven to cause real bad health issues. Even large ships are switching to Diesels (still in progress yes!!!)... I find all this crap against diesels simply stupid... Cars create only about 27% pollution... 

Even if all changes and they add even more tax on diesels, at some point people will stand up against that. And even worse case scenario, this won't happen for next 5-10 years. How long do you keep your cars? As I understood in UK you change cars pretty quickly... so why bother... 

2 minutes ago, JackySi said:

I know all that... But in realistic numbers Skoda became what it is today because of the Europe... Of course all Electric is the future ( before I got my Superb I was set on Tesla model 3 or Model S ) but trucks are all diesel and newer diesels are more eco than petrols except for NOx which was not proven to cause real bad health issues. Even large ships are switching to Diesels (still in progress yes!!!)... I find all this crap against diesels simply stupid... Cars create only about 27% pollution... 

Even if all changes and they add even more tax on diesels, at some point people will stand up against that. And even worse case scenario, this won't happen for next 5-10 years. How long do you keep your cars? As I understood in UK you change cars pretty quickly... so why bother... 

You would be welcomed on the Climate Change thread. Good to give the tree huggers a bit of competition.:emoticon-0157-sun:

I currently drive Euro 6 diesel and so far I didn't experience any extra charges for parking or parking permit, because I don't drive to Westminster and have off street parking.

I would prefer to get diesel for practical and efficiency reasons, but if I'm going to buy and keep car for many years, I simply don't want to risk extra depreciation. My current car is leased at very competitive rate and depreciation is not my problem. The same goes for luxury road tax, it's included in price. I plan to buy something and keep it, to avoid this planned nonsense of speed limiters proposed from 2022.

I do drive to Germany, so their attacks on diesels and more bans for cars below euro 6 is worrying.

Edited by Troms

15 hours ago, Troms said:

.....I do drive to Germany, so their attacks on diesels and more bans for cars below euro 6 is worrying.

I do too and I've got the German green emissions sticker (Umweltplakette) in the windscreen in case I enter any zones in their cities where they're required.  A green sticker means you generally OK, but if your car only has a red of yellow sticker for lower standards of emissions, then you may find there are areas where you can't drive.

It's a big difference when you're in any former East German cities compared to 30 years ago when there was a blue haze from the two-stroke Trabants and Wartburgs.

• Haha 1

Green sticker is for cars from Euro 4 and above. I had one on euro 5 diesel, which would be now banned in many places. I didn't bother to get stickers on any other car except this one, since I had it in Germany for couple of months. Never got fine either.

Anyway, after looking at pricing and depreciation, I decided to abandon idea of buying brand new Superb 272 L&K. Depreciation is higher than leasing something similar or better for 2-3 years. My current car will depreciate at similar amount and it's higher model and spec. Only thing, it won't have warranty next year. I think I will chance it then and go back to idea of buying used Superb if I start getting expensive repair bills.