Dash cam Hardwiring and Warranty

kerbero5

I just bought a new Nextbase front and rear dash cam and figured since I want it hardwired I have better check whether Skoda would need to install it, or whether it might void the warranty. 

Does anyone know if this is the case?

I had a Nextbase 512GW front dash cam fitted to my Karoq by my Skoda dealer. They said it did not affect the warranty. I am pleased with the camera as it is very versatile and gives a good recording.

4 minutes ago, Adrianskoda said:

I had a Nextbase 512GW front dash cam fitted to my Karoq by my Skoda dealer. They said it did not affect the warranty. I am pleased with the camera as it is very versatile and gives a good recording.

Did they say if you fitted it yourself it wouldn’t void the warranty as well? Do you recall how much they charged?

Well I actually had them fit the camera so that in the future there would not be issue with the warranty. I guess that you need to ask them about fitting it yourself. The cost of the camera and fitting was £211.50.

I hardwired mine in a few months ago....if I do get any problems that require dealer intervention and could in anyway be connected with my install I'll disconnect it.

3 hours ago, Adrianskoda said:

Well I actually had them fit the camera so that in the future there would not be issue with the warranty. I guess that you need to ask them about fitting it yourself. The cost of the camera and fitting was £211.50.

Wow that’s quite expensive. I just bought the new Nextbase 522GW plus the rear windscreen camera, hardwire kit and a 128GB microSD card for £170. I think it’s cheap because there’s currently an offer on Amazon. Halfords charges £30 to do the install!

3 hours ago, Berisford said:

I hardwired mine in a few months ago....if I do get any problems that require dealer intervention and could in anyway be connected with my install I'll disconnect it.

I get what you mean, but as I have the rear camera as well it would be quite a bit of hassle to remove and reinstall the wiring throughout the trim

10 hours ago, kerbero5 said:

Wow that’s quite expensive. I just bought the new Nextbase 522GW plus the rear windscreen camera, hardwire kit and a 128GB microSD card for £170. I think it’s cheap because there’s currently an offer on Amazon. Halfords charges £30 to do the install!

What.....you actually allowed a Halfords chimp to work on your car?

11 minutes ago, Breezy said:

What.....you actually allowed a Halfords chimp to work on your car?

No. It was just to highlight that Skoda charging £211 for a similar camera and wiring seemed a little expensive!

10 hours ago, Danny 57 said:

I had Halfords fit mine, he was very efficient. Well worth the money.

Ah bugger. They only fit it if you bought it there, and I got it from Amazon! Guess I will rely on the dealer to not charge a fortune 😕

I got my front one fitted by a local garage close to my work, and the rear fitted by an auto electrician. 

At the time, both local Škoda dealerships stated their technians were not qualified (or trained) for that type of work.

Now that Škoda sells its own dashcam, apparently they now are.

Spoke to my dealer today. They will hardwire my front camera for £120 and they don’t know the level of effort for the rear camera but they will do it for an extra fee. They are saying it’s tricky because you need to be careful of the airbags when wiring the rear. 

If if I do it myself the warranty would be fine but they wouldn’t want to know about any flat battery issues. I’m contemplating just buying a second camera at Halfords, getting my existing one fitted the next day for £30, then returning the unopened Halfords camera for a full refund. 

Edited by kerbero5

The local 'Good Garage' garage charged £51 to fit the front dashcam to my Octavia. 

The auto electrician charged £114 for installing the rear. I could have got it much cheaper but they were right next to where I was going for a job interview and it reduced the hassle and stress of trying to find and pay for a parking spot in the middle of the day in Glasgow city centre. 

What airbags are they referring too, my dashcam was piggybacked off the rear wiper? 

1 minute ago, Fin69 said:

The local 'Good Garage' garage charged £51 to fit the front dashcam to my Octavia. 

The auto electrician charged £114 for installing the rear. I could have got it much cheaper but they were right next to where I was going for a job interview and it reduced the hassle and stress of trying to find and pay for a parking spot in the middle of the day in Glasgow city centre. 

What airbags are they referring too, my dashcam was piggybacked off the rear wiper? 

With the new nextbase cameras, the rear needs to be plugged into the front camera. So I assume there are side airbags in the pillars that you need to be careful with?

• 7 months later...

Karoq 2.0 TDi Sportline 4x4 150

I recently got a quote fro Skoda for a Nextbase GW522W front and rear camera's fitted and the total inclusive of fitting was £455 + VAT. 

Using Halfords, I'm booked in this Saturday and the total is £201 including fitting and VAT

When we take VAT into consideration we are getting on for £350 difference between Skoda and Halfords.

Before Halfords do the fitting I'll be asking what current and future responsibility they take.  But lets be honest guys how much does it take to tap into an ignition and/or constant live....plus earth. 

My use of Halford's is more time related and convenience related than anything else.  I wouldn't give anyone my Saturday morning for £50....., but a the same time I'm not paying Skoda £350 for the pleasure either.

Edited by AndyGrob73
  • Like 1

If you go for a more professional dashcam than a halfords one, you can get the OBD cables that use the parking mode and switched live, and dont turn on/off all the time when the engine stop/starts in traffic as they have a device that keeps them running for a few minutes after power off of igniton..

https://www.racshop.co.uk/thinkware-obd-hardwire-installation-cable.html

Honestly i would ebay the nextbase and get a thinkware type device which sits flush on the window both front and rear.

Edited by delitfol

On 01/07/2019 at 12:13, kerbero5 said:

With the new nextbase cameras, the rear needs to be plugged into the front camera. So I assume there are side airbags in the pillars that you need to be careful with?

Take the rear camera cable down low level along passenger side sill plastics, under the edge of the sill behind the passenger seatbelt mount on the rear, then you dont need to go high level near airbags.  

5 hours ago, AndyGrob73 said:

Karoq 2.0 TDi Sportline 4x4 150

I recently got a quote fro Skoda for a Nextbase GW522W front and rear camera's fitted and the total inclusive of fitting was £455 + VAT. 

Using Halfords, I'm booked in this Saturday and the total is £201 including fitting and VAT

When we take VAT into consideration we are getting on for £350 difference between Skoda and Halfords.

Before Halfords do the fitting I'll be asking what current and future responsibility they take.  But lets be honest guys how much does it take to tap into an ignition and/or constant live....plus earth. 

My use of Halford's is more time related and convenience related than anything else.  I wouldn't give anyone my Saturday morning for £50....., but a the same time I'm not paying Skoda £350 for the pleasure either.

That all sounds fair and very reasonable. My colleague had a Nextbase front and rear fitted to his Ford Kuga last year and was very pleased with everything.

Also pleased you are using Halfords rather than Amazon - Mr Bezos has quite enough $$$$ already.