Octavia VRS 5e spacers

20 minutes ago, Ads230 said:

None :) (to avoid over-stressing CV joints etc.), but instead looking to replace Xtremes with 19" Revo RV019s to improve stance. 

Just trying to get my head around the physics of it. What's the difference between having spacers and an alloy wheel with a lower ET?

1 hour ago, tunedude said:

Just trying to get my head around the physics of it. What's the difference between having spacers and an alloy wheel with a lower ET?

Don't! You are right. CV joints are totally unaffected by the fitting of spacers. 

16 hours ago, tunedude said:

In all honesty, I was going off old advice I had from a mechanic friend of ours a few years ago when I had my old Mk6 Fiesta ST. Group of us were looking to add stance with spacers on the heavy AF alloys the ST had, and we were warned by the garage lads (Oldskool, long-term trusted - not QwikFit heroes) that it could put undue stress on all suspension components including CVJs, bearings etc. due to increasing weight-bearing stress over distance (i.e. by adding spacers). My thinking re: spacers vs. alloy with lower ET was around reducing sprung weight with a lighter alloy (but without spacer) - but you're right in that the 'stress' on the hub is essentially the same either way.

Old advice dies hard for me, I guess - although appreciated that there are a ton of people on here using them with zero negative impacts.

Edited by Ads230

After market wheels are often wider than OEM too.  This can give the same result as a wider track but also not affecting the scrub radius too much or putting undue stress on hub/suspension components.

On ‎19‎/‎07‎/‎2019 at 09:45, Ads230 said:

In all honesty, I was going off old advice I had from a mechanic friend of ours a few years ago when I had my old Mk6 Fiesta ST. Group of us were looking to add stance with spacers on the heavy AF alloys the ST had, and we were warned by the garage lads (Oldskool, long-term trusted - not QwikFit heroes) that it could put undue stress on all suspension components including CVJs, bearings etc. due to increasing weight-bearing stress over distance (i.e. by adding spacers). My thinking re: spacers vs. alloy with lower ET was around reducing sprung weight with a lighter alloy (but without spacer) - but you're right in that the 'stress' on the hub is essentially the same either way.

Old advice dies hard for me, I guess - although appreciated that there are a ton of people on here using them with zero negative impacts.

Agreed. Spacers do increase the loads on the hub carrier very slightly. But as you say many many folks running them with no incident. Having come from a 4x4 background the size of some of the spacers used in those circles would make you cringe!, and this is on vehicles that are getting hammered off-road.