Newcastle remap

Hi all I am a new user and pick up my superb 2016 2.0tdi 150bhp tomorrow. I'd like to get a remap as have had good results many years ago with a golf diesel. I have booked an appt with quantum tuning but have since read some worrying reviews. Does anyone else have experience of quantum - I think their agent here is RJ mobile auto? Any other recommendations in the Newcastle/coast area? 

Thanks. 

I had a London agent perform the Quantum remap on my Alfa Romeo Brera. It's a value-for-money option, half the price of a bespoke remap and probably not as good. Quantum dealers just download a generic map for your car and update the ECU.

Having said that, my Brera performed much better after the Quantum remap and I was quite happy. I believe they have a money-back guarantee and can restore the original map, if you so choose.

• Thanks 1

It will be a 2hr round trip for you but Big Fish tuning in Stokesley (near M’boro) are highly regarded across many owners forums (not just VW group either).  Dyno/custom tuning too.

I believe their pricing is also very good too. 

I’ve spoken with the owner, John a few times and he seems a genuine guy who knows his stuff. 

• Thanks 1

Another thumbs up for Big Fish, remapped the wife's A3 1.9 Tdi 8 year's ago from 104 to around 140ish Bhp with no problems, got my 110 Yeti remapped two years ago mainly to remove the emissions update & ended up with a lovely smooth map & 186 Bhp for £250, also had a couple of runs on there rolling road to make sure all was fine & dandy which you won't get with some random turning up at your front door with a laptop.....

• Thanks 1

As odd as it might sound; tell the insurance, don't tell the insurance?

If telling, is there a general percentage increase on insurance. Just curious.

Also, would you have the ECU or DSG repap first?

Cheers

A no brainer here, deffo tell your insurer.

You’ll probably be fine if you have a fender bender type claim as they’ll not investigate your car and they’ll not know.

but you have a serious accident causing significant third party injury or death and the WILL forensically examine your car (probably police would too). If you are remapped and haven’t told them, they will find it and you’ll have invalid insurance.

sure, the MIB would step in to cover the TP costs as you’d be treated as an uninsured driver. But they have the right to come back after you to recover their costs.

its really not a nightmare worth contemplating for the sake of a few quid. Just consider the increased insurance cost as part of the remap cost .

edit - I had a Defender remapped to 150 and the additional cost was zero. There would have been an admin charge but I told them at renewal I was having it done in a week or two (true) so they noted their records and I avoided a £25 admin fee.

Edited by FatWolfie
Additional text

9 hours ago, FatWolfie said:

A no brainer here, deffo tell your insurer.

You’ll probably be fine if you have a fender bender type claim as they’ll not investigate your car and they’ll not know.

but you have a serious accident causing significant third party injury or death and the WILL forensically examine your car (probably police would too). If you are remapped and haven’t told them, they will find it and you’ll have invalid insurance.

sure, the MIB would step in to cover the TP costs as you’d be treated as an uninsured driver. But they have the right to come back after you to recover their costs.

its really not a nightmare worth contemplating for the sake of a few quid. Just consider the increased insurance cost as part of the remap cost .

edit - I had a Defender remapped to 150 and the additional cost was zero. There would have been an admin charge but I told them at renewal I was having it done in a week or two (true) so they noted their records and I avoided a £25 admin fee.

Thanks FatWolfie, a very valid point or two.

I was thinking more so of the dsg remap to try and avert the wheelspin I regularly get on my 220 L&K. Wet or dry, DCC on Sport or Normal, it makes no difference.

There's plenty that have remaps on the 280 (as I read) or talk about having them but, has anyone had anything done on the 220?

Cheers

Thread drift alert.

What tyres ya got @Booshakker ? I think the standard/common factory fit P7s could be better - if you’re still running these then maybe a better tyre might be an alternative first port of call? There’s loads of threads about tyre choice.

I’m still on P7s but they will be changed in the next couple of months even though they’ve only got 2000 miles on them (and will only have about 4000 when I change them). 

• Sponsor
On 21/07/2019 at 08:28, Booshakker said:

As odd as it might sound; tell the insurance, don't tell the insurance?

If telling, is there a general percentage increase on insurance. Just curious.

Also, would you have the ECU or DSG repap first?

Cheers

Hi. We would strongly recommend declaring a re-map, chip or tuning box to you insurance company. If you ever needed any help with this then please feel free to drop me a line.

Regards,

Dan.

1 hour ago, DAN@ADRIAN FLUX said:

Hi. We would strongly recommend declaring a re-map, chip or tuning box to you insurance company. If you ever needed any help with this then please feel free to drop me a line.

Regards,

Dan.

Thanks for the offer Dan.

That's much appreciated but maybe in a year or so when the warranty expires.

Thanks to everyone for their POV 👍

@Superbdave1980 When I ordered my 150 I was also thinking it might need a remap and/or a pedal box - especially given some comments on this site about lag etc. In fact I was pretty convinced about the need.

however over the past 3 months/2000 miles I’ve never found the car wanting for power, and I’ve never really found the dead spot pulling away a problem. 

So I currently think I’ll save my money and spend it on something else (or to be more realistic, will not have to open negotiations with Swmbo for yet more “frivolous” purchases....😂)

21 minutes ago, FatWolfie said:

@Superbdave1980 When I ordered my 150 I was also thinking it might need a remap and/or a pedal box - especially given some comments on this site about lag etc. In fact I was pretty convinced about the need.

however over the past 3 months/2000 miles I’ve never found the car wanting for power, and I’ve never really found the dead spot pulling away a problem. 

So I currently think I’ll save my money and spend it on something else (or to be more realistic, will not have to open negotiations with Swmbo for yet more “frivolous” purchases....😂)

A pedal box on the 150 TDI does make a difference IMO, almost feels like the car has been remapped.  (mine was a manual) 

• Like 1

On 21/07/2019 at 18:15, Booshakker said:

>I was thinking more so of the dsg remap to try and avert the wheelspin I regularly get on my 220 L&K. Wet or dry, DCC on Sport or Normal, it makes no difference.

My 220 was the same with standard Pirelli's. Changed fronts to Michelin P4's, so much better! Haven't remapped, just the peddle box 🙂

• 2 weeks later...

Was considering this, but my car's leased.  Would have to remap it back to stock at the end, but I'd be concerned that it would be picked up by the dealer during a service / in the event of any problems.

1 hour ago, Danny77 said:

Was considering this, but my car's leased.  Would have to remap it back to stock at the end, but I'd be concerned that it would be picked up by the dealer during a service / in the event of any problems.

Bluespark Pro Boost + tuning box works well on the 150TDI.  I ran one for a while and had no issues whatsoever.  Simple to remove too and my insurance only went up £20 as a result of fitting it (the 'admin' fee was more!)

• Like 1