190 DSG 4x4

Hi all

Im currently in the process of purchasing a black superb sportline hatch (68 plate) 190 dsg auto 4x4. I don’t really need the 4x4 but the spec is pretty decent on the specific car I have found so thought I’d go with it.

I usually do 2x50 mile journeys each day for work and wondered what people’s experiences were with mpg/reliability. I’ve had a search on here for mpg, and seen massively varying results. Just wondering what I can expect- usually drive around 65 on the motorway but concerned the 4x4 could seriously effect the economy. 

How have other people found this engine?

thanks 

Welcome to Briskoda.

The engine is wonderful and IMO does benefit from 4x4, MPG wise I get 50 MPG easily at 70 / 75 (true 70) (but mine is only FWD) but the 4x4 will rob you of a few mpg, so at 65 mph I would still be expecting low 50’s.

Edited by Gizmo
  • Like 1

Agree with what @Gizmo has posted. Mine is 4x4 Estate loaded up with tools and materials and will happily achieve mid 50’s mpg at 65=70mph on motorway. 

190 DSG definitely benefits from having 4x4. It is very sure footed and allows acceleration without the risk of wheel spin.

46 minutes ago, bigmick9445 said:

Agree with what @Gizmo has posted. Mine is 4x4 Estate loaded up with tools and materials and will happily achieve mid 50’s mpg at 65=70mph on motorway. 

190 DSG definitely benefits from having 4x4. It is very sure footed and allows acceleration without the risk of wheel spin.

Excellent that’s better than expected, from what I’ve read it would appear 50mpg in the 4x4 dsg is quite difficult but if you’re getting that I’m fairly optimistic now! Thanks! Is yours DSG too?

24 minutes ago, bigmick9445 said:

190 DSG 4x4 Estate.

I was pleasantly surprised with the fuel returns when I first got it 😀

Brilliant, thanks for letting me know! I haven’t got a heavy right foot so mid 50s would do nicely!

2 hours ago, bigmick9445 said:

Be aware, that is on a run-it doesn’t like going around town in traffic where low 30’s mpg are the norm!

That’s fine most of my journeys are motorways anyway. Read a few comments suggesting people only get low 40s on a run so it’s good to know that’s not necessarily the case and it can be economical with all the weight too! 

MPG will always vary by driver and journey. I do 250 mile a day and I get 46mpg and I don’t hold back. 4x4 is great when at wet junctions. Gives me real confidence without taking stupid chances

Edited by rhino1401
Add text

I travel 40 miles each way everyday on country roads (no motorways here) in my 190 4x4 est and millage varies between 45 and 61 mpg according to the computer - depending on my mood and how much overtaking i do 🙂. my overall average from the last reset is 49.3mpg

190 DSG 4x4 here - on a decent journey I can get above 50mpg.  I rarely do decent length journeys (just Mrs to work and me occasionally 20 miles up the road), but when I do I'm pleased with the returns.  Traction wise, for a big car, she can certainly pick up her skirt and run!  I don't go throwing her into corners, but she certainly feels like she can be manhandled pretty well!  

Well I dunno where these figures are from. I’ve never seen more than 44 average from mine and that was very steady. At motorway speeds and maybe a bit more it averages about 41-42. I’ve owned it for 20k miles and mix of motorways and town. Drive quite enthusiastically and my average long term is around 37. Kinda wish I’d brought the 280 

23 minutes ago, Esseesse200 said:

Well I dunno where these figures are from. I’ve never seen more than 44 average from mine and that was very steady. At motorway speeds and maybe a bit more it averages about 41-42. I’ve owned it for 20k miles and mix of motorways and town. Drive quite enthusiastically and my average long term is around 37. Kinda wish I’d brought the 280 

These are typical figures from mine- motorway driving, fully loaded boot and “making progress” where traffic volumes allow

5CD93C17-867C-4AB3-B9E2-BA9B4C142FBB.png

On 30/07/2019 at 15:48, Gizmo said:

Welcome to Briskoda.

The engine is wonderful and IMO does benefit from 4x4, MPG wise I get 50 MPG easily at 70 / 75 (true 70) (but mine is only FWD) but the 4x4 will rob you of a few mpg, so at 65 mph I would still be expecting low 50’s.

Having exactly the same engine as Gizmo, I agree entirely. I do lots of motorway miles and see 55+mpg in summer and 50+mpg in winter. Unless you go full hooligan, you will see 50+ until you get into town, where it will fall faster than the pound. When I bought mine I worried that I should have bought a 150 to reduce fuel cost. Now I just wish I'd gone 4x4. Next time...

7 minutes ago, bigmick9445 said:

These are typical figures from mine- motorway driving, fully loaded boot and “making progress” where traffic volumes allow

5CD93C17-867C-4AB3-B9E2-BA9B4C142FBB.png

Absolutely no chance haha. That says you were averaging 49.7 mph not motorway speeds 

On 31/07/2019 at 00:11, KeteCantek said:

The 4x4 is really FWD unless you break from  traction. The added weight and teeny bit of haldex pumping losses are insignificant. 

There are service costs and added maintenance as well. Is 4x4 really needed unless you tow, or live on a muddy hill? Ok, if you purchase second hand and you get good value as a whole package, i could agree.

2 minutes ago, toni8b said:

There are service costs and added maintenance as well. Is 4x4 really needed unless you tow, or live on a muddy hill? Ok, if you purchase second hand and you get good value as a whole package, i could agree.

I am referring to fuel economy. It won't be better than a FWD not it will not be significantly worse. 

• 2 weeks later...

I have 190 4x4 DSG and I commute to work 40 miles each way. I can get around 53 mpg on a good day. Mostly travelling on A road and about 7 miles on B road.  I also have a DTUK tuning box which seemed to help fuel consumption. 

It’s interesting how much they vary.  Mine was a very early UK spec 2015 S3 190 DSG Estate L&K with every toy available at that time and regardless of how careful I (and my Wife) were with it, it never produced more than 43mpg average on a 60-mile daily commute on fast roads.  Motorway runs might push the journey mpg up to the mid/upper 40s but no higher.

I changed it for a 2019 MY BMW 220D xDrive MSport Gran Tourer a year ago and that gives low 50s on exactly the same journey.  Motorway runs push that into the mid/upper 50s.  It is also a 190bhp/400Nm power plant, but has a proper automatic box (8-speed) and like the S3 is predominantly FWD.  The weight differences are not massive so I did wonder whether the early S3 launching so close to Dieselgate ever forced Škoda to make some modifications whilst they sorted things out longer term - something they have always denied of course.  Later S3 models seem to be much better on fuel.

One thing I have noted though is that after 15,000 miles it has only used 6L of AdBlue, which is about 1/3rd of what my S3 used.  The computer tells me it still has 2,000 miles range left in that tank.  BMW say that a single fill of AdBlue should last between services (18,000 miles) and so far I believe them.

I concur with Felis in regards to Fuel consumption.  I'm just over 10k miles and has just told me I need to replenish the AdBlue in 1700miles so I reckon it needs topping up every 5000 miles.

On 31/07/2019 at 23:21, toni8b said:

Yes. I'll never have another main car that's not 4x4 if I can possibly help it.