Torsion value

2 minutes ago, J.R. said:

Thanks!

Lower green arrow is over black domed head camshaft alignment locking pin I assume. Yes

Green arrow at left is direction of engine rotation, in my head I thought mine was the other way but it does make sense with the zero and minus markings in yellow and red. Engine direction is clockwise

So what is the purpose of the hole and the teeth at the top marked by the green arrow? 19 years since this engine was launched, 12 years I spent working on them in the dealer network and I have never known or seen it documented

On my car you cant get your head low enough to see the hole without a camera. I use a mirror

Thanks Techie, it all makes sense now.

Convention would be that the engine turns clockwise when viewed from the crank pulley but i did not take that for granted, I pulled the car forward in 5th gear and it did indeed turn clockwise, my memory had not failed me.

The arrow on the diagram is incorrect but were the engine to turn that way then at least the +ve and -ve values would make some sense if they relate to valve timing as it is the units are expressed as kilowatts which just adds another layer of confusion.

Good point re the mirror but it looks like there is nothing to see anyway!!!

Edited by J.R.

21 hours ago, Taximan1978 said:

A think a have recalibrated me MFD right but a don't no it was on 90 so a changed it to 100 is this right thanks.

The fact that it was on 90 suggests that someone might have been there and adjusted it before. Normally they are set to 100% at the factory and you adjust the percentage up or down depending on what % you think the MPG display is either optimistic or pessimistic.

Anyway it won't do any harm to start at 100 and see whether that makes the accuracy better or worse. 

Edited by nick74

Thanks 

Does anyone know how many miles a should roughly get out of a full tank of fuel if everything is right and is that mileage from full to the fuel light comes on or a run out of fuel thanks.

11 hours ago, Taximan1978 said:

Thanks 

Does anyone know how many miles a should roughly get out of a full tank of fuel if everything is right and is that mileage from full to the fuel light comes on or a run out of fuel thanks.

Right in my 1.9 pd i get between 500 and 600 but what anyone else gets is going to have very little relevance to what you will get way too many variables . The biggest difference on mpg is the nut holding the steering wheel.

1 hour ago, seriesdriver said:

Right in my 1.9 pd i get between 500 and 600 but what anyone else gets is going to have very little relevance to what you will get way too many variables . The biggest difference on mpg is the nut holding the steering wheel.

Same here out of my scout. 500-600 miles seems to be a good estimate for mixed driving without a heavy right foot.

Fill up at 600 miles, somewhere between the fuel light coming on and the guage showing empty, MFD showing zero miles remaining , which is far from actually being empty. For me there is another 80 miles after guage shows empty & MFD shows zero miles remaining, that is when I need to start thinking about refilling sometime that week when convenient.

First tankfull I drove very economically till the vehicle ran out and did 820 miles, average was 68mpg, boring though.

Edited by J.R.

On 13/08/2019 at 18:11, J.R. said:

Thanks Techie, it all makes sense now.

Convention would be that the engine turns clockwise when viewed from the crank pulley but i did not take that for granted, I pulled the car forward in 5th gear and it did indeed turn clockwise, my memory had not failed me.

The arrow on the diagram is incorrect but were the engine to turn that way then at least the +ve and -ve values would make some sense if they relate to valve timing as it is the units are expressed as kilowatts which just adds another layer of confusion.

Good point re the mirror but it looks like there is nothing to see anyway!!!

This is a post from forum member rotodiesel who seemed to be the font of knowledge for the PD engine, but who unfortunately doesn't post on here any more.

There is no engine driven fuel pump on the AVF engine - it's a PD.

"Mark and pray" cambelt changes will produce this result. The correct crank and cam locking tools must be used in order to preserve camshaft timing. It's also essential to fully understand the principle of tensioning the belt with the 3 camwheel to hub bolts slackened - locked-in torque is prevented by this.

With the correct tools and procedure, the timing (KW = kurbel winkel) or crank angle, will be almost spot on, and can be checked with VAGCOM or similar.

I have changed many of these belts, and every one has been within the permitted KW tolerance by using the VAG lock tools and observing the correct procedure.

These engines are not for monkeys to work on.

rotodiesel.

53 minutes ago, J.R. said:

Fill up at 600 miles, somewhere between the fuel light coming on and the guage showing empty, MFD showing zero miles remaining , which is far from actually being empty. For me there is another 80 miles after guage shows empty & MFD shows zero miles remaining, that is when I need to start thinking about refilling sometime that week when convenient.

First tankfull I drove very economically till the vehicle ran out and did 820 miles, average was 68mpg, boring though.

Blimey, that was brave. Not sure I'd be confident of priming again. I've done about 6 miles with Zero showing on the range (before I switched away so SWMBO stopped panicking) and then chickened out and filled up.

Alternatively, it seems to me that the way to do it is drive as un-economically as (safely) possible to give you a minimum range that you then know you'll exceed but should be your trigger to fill up.  My best (or worst, depending on how you look at it) has been a calculated 1.82mpg, but that was during a qualifying session at Cadwell Park. In a V8 MG. That way we knew how much fuel to put in before a race. Can't seem to get the Octy below 10...

I knew with the PD that I could prime it with the ignition and there was no danger from running dry once, you make a good point re the minimum safe fill up mileage, I will never see such good economy again, the car was new to me and I was driving around just for the sake of it to find any faults and to see what it would be capable of.

For me knowing the range is important, filling up as soon as the light comes on is wasting probably 30% or more of the available range and makes for many more fill ups during the life of the vehicle.

So a ran the car until the light came on and a got 545.1miles and 50miles left on the MFD.

So a kept on driving and taking a chance but a couldn't take the chance anymore and a got 556.3miles with 30miles on the MFD.

The MFD was displaying 36.1 MPG.

So what am asking is what does people think ?.

MFD needs recalibrated. 

The torsion value needs adjusting.

Or just leave it alone and drive it and forget about it.

Cheers 

Sounds reasonable miles on a tank full without knowing what sort of driving it was doing , if the car was only doing 36.1 mpg you would need to put 15 gallons ( 68 litres ) to do the mileage which is more than car could hold so this number must be a fair bit short of reality.

You have missed the crucial piece of information, how much fuel did you put in to refill the tank to the brim and was it brimmed on the previous refill, only with that will we be able to calculate your MPG and advise the fuel computer correction factor to be used with VCDS.

I reckon you actually had a further 50 miles after the range would have read zero which would make your consumption around 53mpg, as a taxi driver I would actually expect more but I dont know what your journeys are like.

When you say 36mpg on the MFD you are pressing the button to give the overall figure since the last reset/100 hours of driving arent you and not just the mpg of the current journey?

Assuming you are then scroll down and advise how many miles are recorded for the average consumption.

Sounds like you need to do a correction in VCDS but I think its limited to +/- 15%, mine was 13% out. You will need the accurate fuel consumption and for that you need to know exactly how much fuel it took to refill the vehicle, anything else includinga asking other peoples advice is a waste of everybodys time.

Well am sorry if u feel am wasting people's time am only asking 4 advice a thought that's what this site was for.

A have only brimmed the tank once to see how many miles a would get out of a full tank.

When a brimmed it the light was on so a don't no how much fuel was in before.

As the MFD was on number 2 a think that's the over all MPG not on the individual journey as on number 1.

A put 53.19 litres in @ 130.9 litre which was £69.63 that was to brim it from when the light came on if that helps.

Number 2 is the overall mpg.

As you have brimmed the tank last time and hopefully zero'd the trip meteror recorded the mileage you just need to do the same next time after running the tank as low as you feel comfortable taking care to brim it in the same manner and then you will have a definitive mpg figure and we can advise you of the correction value for VCDS.

Secondly and i hope you will not take this the wrong way, I think English is your second language and hope you wont mind me pointing out a quite important error in your writing and perhaps speech if you speak in the same way.

When you speak of yourself you are using "a" instead of "I", you write "A have only ............." and it should be "I have only" similarly you write "am only asking..........." "am wasting peoples time..........." where it should be "I am..........."

Like I said i hope you dont take it the wrong way, I have to converse and write in my second language all day long and its a really big problem getting the French to correct me, I can tell from their pained expressions that I am saying things wrong but only close friends or those who have been in the same position working overseas will correct me.

Edited by J.R.

Haddaway man thats where my roots are but if I had ever written that way I would still feel my fathas belt today.

Gan canny!

What i do is reset the trip 2 on mfd when i refuel brim to brim. That way i have the distance and indicated mpg for every tankful i use,and avg speed etc, which all helps better understand my driving habits. 

But anyhoo, from posts above you did 556miles on 53.19litres.

Thats 10.45mls /litre  or... 47.5mpg.

Ballpark. Your mfd is off, but it also depends on when that trip 2 was reset last.

Btw, i find the way you type in your geordie accent quietly refreshing. Helps better understand a person's thought process when they are being honest about themselves ;)

Cheers 

A do appreciate all the help and maths a just need to refill and reset and see what happens.

If let's say the MFD display is out how do a no which way to adjust it on vcds. 

Bye the way how did you work out the MPG.

Thanks