Adaptive cruise control

I have ACC on my superb. Spouse has just cruise control on the Mini Cooper s. I find it a complete pain because you have to keep fiddling with the set speed on your typical English motorway (nose to tail traffic in outside lane doing 60-70-60-70).

No idea what’s not to like about ACC!

Edited by nicknorman
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Whenwillilearn said:

I find it useful but the safety gap it leaves between the car in front never lasts long as especially on motorway another car quickly fills the gap, thus slowing my car down to increase that gap again. 

Eh ? Are you saying it doesn’t leave enough gap ? What would you do if you had a standard cruise control ? Sorry but surely that’s the whole premise of adaptive cruise ? 

It's not a critique of the ACC system in fact I think it works well with a dsg. It's more a scenario where other drivers think that gap between my car and one in front is adequate thus they move into said gap. 

My car slows down some to compensate. Thus I have lost my constant speed. No big problem but on a motorway it occurs a lot. A little annoying I would say. 

Just an observation. 

• Like 3

If cars are dropping into the gap that you have set between you and the car in front and assuming you are happy to trust the ACC system you could try decreasing the gap by adjusting the settings.  I find that having it set to "two bars" is a comfortable gap and other vehicles do not try and drop into it.

• Like 3

I have it set at the shortest gap. If the car in front accelerates, the ACC is so slow to respond that a gap does develop, someone fills it, the car brakes, another gap develops, someone fills it, car brakes, ad Infinitum. 

I could, of course, accelerate manually, but that kind of defeats the object. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, daveo138 said:

I have it set at the shortest gap. If the car in front accelerates, the ACC is so slow to respond that a gap does develop, someone fills it, the car brakes, another gap develops, someone fills it, car brakes, ad Infinitum. 

Dont have this with mine

31 minutes ago, daveo138 said:

You can set an "individual" setting that increases the rate of acceleration under ACC. Not near the car right now, but happy to look tomorrow and explain how to set it up. It's very effective :).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BriskodaJeff said:

You can set an "individual" setting that increases the rate of acceleration under ACC. Not near the car right now, but happy to look tomorrow and explain how to set it up. It's very effective :).

I'd certainly be interested in that little tweek.

Just back from a 320 mile round trip on M74/M6 and had the kind of problem described above.

Also, if following an overtaking car at less than my set speed, my car doesn't accelerate until the car in front drops back to the left lane almost completely, then it picks up.

If I was driving without ACC I would have started to speed up as soon as the one in front began leaving the lane in front of me.

The ACC makes you look a bit slow-witted to anyone following.

In another scenario, at one junction I had a Transit join from an on-ramp and come rather sharply out into the second lane in front of me going 10 MPH less than I was.

I guess I had the ACC gap set to 3 or 4 bars and it went into full panic mode and stomped hard on the brakes.

In manual control, I would probably have lifted off and maybe braked a little.

It's maybe a bit over-protective.

Great in slow roadworks sections and average speed limits, though.

3 hours ago, BriskodaJeff said:

It's in the driver's Mode option. Using 'individual' I have the ACC set to 'Sport'.

It accelerates faster but I still often give the accelerator a slight dab to get it up to speed. It also seems to slow/brake later so overall it reduces a gap much quicker.

ACC may not be perfect but I wouldn't want to be without it. IMHO you can put CC where the sun don't shine.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I had a look at mine this morning. Had to remind myself how I did it, so here's a short guide. Mine is MY17, but I guess it will be the same for all.

Press the "Mode" button next to the DSG lever. Then select "Individual" on the screen. 20190830_070819.thumb.jpg.68f3a2a1eec75b0bdcb5e47bd546665e.jpg

Press the "Change" softkey and select ACC to Sport.

20190830_070825.thumb.jpg.24adc85bd2125c70cfd1e9dac9f423ae.jpg

Select Individual from the mode settings (if it isn't already selected). ACC will now respond more quickly and with stronger acceleration as the car in front pulls away.

I find it works quite well, though like @BillyJim I sometimes encourage it with a dab of throttle. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

There are so many settings for this, that and the other...

I've been having various issues with my infotainment and the dealer initially reloaded it. I had to go back through, changing lots of settings and re-inputting other data. Then they replaced the controller, as it was still playing up, so I had to go through it all again. 

Yesterday, it wouldn’t recognise the USB, so it looks like we’ll have to do it all over again. 😔 

I must admit, ACC in the 50mph roadworks on the M4 works ok, however....it does brake a bit sharpish rather than lifting off and cruising and gets a bit funny when a car overtakes slowly. I find myself intervening more than I should have to.

Thanks Briskojeff , I have followed your advice & changed ACC to ‘Sport’ in individual Mode setting, it worked a treat  - have just driven from N/East England to Manchester - it was an absolute pleasure, no hiccups & good acceleration when overtaking,  can’t wait for the return trip tomorrow. Thanks again for the advice. 

• Like 1

On 30/08/2019 at 10:20, BriskodaJeff said:

ACC will now respond more quickly and with stronger acceleration as the car in front pulls away.

Thanks for the guide, although my car has no DCC i found the option in the Bolero driving asists section. is it only me or the sport setting in ACC also affects the breaking making it a bit more aggressive?

• Like 1