Value Skoda Octavia

Mee

I’m just curious what the market value of my car was 😩

long story short I was involved in a rtc and repairs are extensive 😢

what would I be looking at getting back?

its a SE L fsh, October 2015 (65 plate), excellent condition (usually), 82k on the clock diesel. Added extras: sat nav, distance/ brake sensors, automatic lights and windscreen wipers, DAB, Bluetooth, estate 

Edited by Mee

1 hour ago, ColinD said:

Try using regit.

It gives some indication and isn't as perstering as wbac.

I assume your asking to determine if the insurance valuation is fair?

The extras typically don't add much, if they do it's pence in the pound value.

Thank you, it’s coming up with resale valuations, is that what I need?

I'm asking as it’s currently on a fine line (I'm told), between repairs and write off, so thus was curious what market value is 

I'm hoping that it doesn’t come down to it, but I’ve got to get my options open 

it’s only had a tow bar fitted around 3 weeks ago, cambelt and water pump before that and 4 brand new Michelin cross climate tyres week of ownership. I’ve had the car 6 months! 

All the extras you list are part of the standard SE-L spec apart from Front Assist. Usually they low ball the first offer, check against the asking prices on AutoTrader etc to see what it would cost you to get another car that is similar. If the insurance company makes you a low offer you can use this data to help raise is as they have to ensure you are covered to replace the car and not be out of pocket. It’s the one time that asking prices are important as that’s what dealers are asking for the cars and insurance companies usually respect this if pushed. If you have rare options etc that helps as you can use that to try to raise the offer too.

14 minutes ago, SashaGrace said:

All the extras you list are part of the standard SE-L spec apart from Front Assist. 

I think even Front Assist might have been. I know it is on the FL, fairly sure it was on the Pre-FL too. 

Edited by uchuff

Was it diesel / petrol, 1.6 or 2.0, manual or auto ? All variables.

i was offered 10,395 for a 66 plate 2.0dsg SEL after mine was written off on the 1st August. Be aware though, I bought a 65 replacement and it had a mib 1 stereo so that’s something to consider on buying a replacement (hence you tell insurance if yours was later as it increases replacement value on the haggle. Never accept first offer, they will increase £200 without argument.

17 minutes ago, uchuff said:

I think even Front Assist might have been. I know it is on the FL, fairly sure it was on the Pre-FL too. 

Not all PFL SE-L’s have it, I drove 2 that didn’t have it. Whether it started to become standard at the end I don’t know but around 2015/16 which is the age the OP’s car is it certainly isn’t part of the standard spec.

Can I please quickly ask, at what stage is a car declared a ‘write off’?

is it where the total cost of repairs exceeds the market value of the car by a total 100% or is it a lesser percentage?

i really don’t want to lose the car, but I’m trying to steel myself if I need a replacement or not 

4 hours ago, SashaGrace said:

Not all PFL SE-L’s have it, I drove 2 that didn’t have it. Whether it started to become standard at the end I don’t know but around 2015/16 which is the age the OP’s car is it certainly isn’t part of the standard spec.

2016’s certainly have it, my own car is an early 2016 which has it.

Depends on the insurer but it won't be at the full market value of the car, it'll be less, as they'll be adding other incurred costs like recovery, admin, hire cars etc. 

Whatever they offer you though, be prepared to argue with evidence of how much it will cost you to buy a replacement to a similar spec. They'll likely start off offering you trade book value and hoping you accept. 

My original 63 plate Octavia mk 3 Elegance ( SEL) Estate car certainly had Front Assist on it, not that it worked all that well, far too twitchy and eager to bring me to a screeching halt for no good reason and the warning light for it wasn't even in the handbook, even the dealers didn't know what it was. 

I’ve been told it’s a total loss and have to give them the courtesy car back after having it a matter of hours!

still don’t know the settlement figure yet though as lines are down 

I'm gutted tbbh, I’ve spent so much money on the car in 6 short months!

can anyone say (I know that this is a Skoda forum) if BMW 3 series are any good?

Edited by Mee

With your mileage I would expect them to offer around £8,000. If it was a Vrs diesel on a 65 plate and same mileage about £10,000. But as others have stated this should be considered the starting point of negotiations. Good luck on your next vehicle choice hope the car provided adequate protection in the collision.:thumbup:

1 hour ago, Mee said:

I’ve been told it’s a total loss and have to give them the courtesy car back after having it a matter of hours!

still don’t know the settlement figure yet though as lines are down 

Who wrote the car off? Your own insurer or the insurer of someone else who was at fault?

It can make a difference because if it was someone elses fault and you're claiming from their insurance, you're entitled to have a replacement car for a week after you receive the money for the settlement.

If it's your own insurance and they're holding you at fault or 50/50 then the rules are different and will be down to wording of the policy.

Rubbish but not much you can do when it's with your own insurer (up until they confirm otherwise, they'll be treating you as at fault).

In preparation for being offered a settlement figure, get on Autotrader now and find as many near identical examples to your car as you can (key things to align being age, mileage, trim level and any options you had declared). As I mentioned before, they'll almost certainly low ball you so if you already have to hand evidence that it will cost you say £12,000 to go and buy an identical one, it'll be good ammo to argue with when they offer you £10,000, even if you only end up agreeing a meet-in-the-middle number.

Depending on the insurer, if you didn't declare/mention any added options, like sat nav etc. then some will refuse to pay out for an equivalent on that basis and will stubbornly refuse to offer for anything more than a completely standard spec car for the given trim level, so be sure what was an option and what was standard on an SE-L.

On 03/09/2019 at 21:45, Mee said:

Can I please quickly ask, at what stage is a car declared a ‘write off’?

is it where the total cost of repairs exceeds the market value of the car by a total 100% or is it a lesser percentage?

i really don’t want to lose the car, but I’m trying to steel myself if I need a replacement or not 

Unless it has altered it used to be a car is written off if the cost of repairs is more than 40% of the market value and yes I was shocked when told that by a mate in the trade.