Yeti from Octavia estate

davidwhite

Well I’ve just turned 63 and spent a large chunk of my birthday day travelling from North Yorkshire to south bucks using my wife’s Kia Sportage  due to a large dose of sciatica ( whilst the ride and seating position in the sportage allowed me through gritted teeth to drive the journey the car seems lifeless compared to my Octavia ) a journey I wouldn’t have been able to complete in the Octavia 

best things on my octavia is no dpf and huge boot area ( estate ) swallows 2 sets of fishing gear 

how would I find any upgrade ( ?? ) to a Yeti 2015 1.6 Greenline 11 anybody else made the swap Octavia 1.9 tdi estate to a Yeti 

Have a look at a Yeti boot - they are a decent volume but quite short, trading that for being tall and wide. However with the rear seats out they are like a van (although removing and manoeuvring the seats is not a task for a bad back).

My wife has a back problem and finds the Yeti very comfortable, however, it's an individual thing so you really need to have an extended test drive before deciding. Out Yeti we spec'd with electric adjustable drivers seat so you can get the position exactly right then "remember" the position with the press of a button for 3 drivers. Saves a lot of fiddling!

On my 2nd yeti, luv 'em, I have the seats out regularly to carry model boats round and about exhibitions and steering competitons, I have a bad lower back , but have never had problems with the seats.

The boxed boats are around0.9 - 1.0 m long, 0.3- 0.4 wide and about 0.5m tall, they will sit either laterally or longitudinally without problems.

Never had a problem with the non singing dancing seats either   -  go for it!!

Thanks for the replies so far ( you just have to love this forums members  )

Weasley.         do the rear seats seats fold flat in-situ fishing rod bags are 6ft long 

gumdrop.       would that be due to the driving position being elevated compared to the Octavia 

I carried fishing tackle, and camping kit the seats fold flat and "over again" to sit tight to the backs of the front seats.

The high sitting position and very comfortable adjustable seats (Yeti Elegance model) was a lot of it but being able to

step in was very nice. I always had a smile on my face, towing or solo.

Spoiler alert...

With the front passenger seat pushed as far forward as possible, there is only 65" between the tailgate and the back of the seat.  There are a couple more inches available if the backrest is set to a more upright position.  Realistically, the seat is unusable in this position.

I'm 6ft and with my seat in the normal position, there is only 57" between the tailgate and the back of the front seat.  Significantly less than the 72" you require.

And for me, I'm afraid seat comfort is nothing special...

2 hours ago, Robjon said:

Spoiler alert...

With the front passenger seat pushed as far forward as possible, there is only 65" between the tailgate and the back of the seat.  There are a couple more inches available if the backrest is set to a more upright position.  Realistically, the seat is unusable in this position.

I'm 6ft and with my seat in the normal position, there is only 57" between the tailgate and the back of the front seat.  Significantly less than the 72" you require.

And for me, I'm afraid seat comfort is nothing special...

Ah my fears have been confirmed I’m 6 foot tall so having the seat forward isn’t going to happen as ‘ retirement ‘ nears the option to go on more fishing trips increases ( wife doesn’t read this forum, I hope ! ) and if one thing gets under my skin it’s faffing around getting bits of fishing kit in the boot ........

Im beginning  to remember why I choose the Octavia in 2014 back to the drawing board I guess 

thanks all 

ps. I’m always open to suggestions and happy to view any advice 

28 minutes ago, muddyjim said:

Can't the rod bags go in diagonally?

As the 1.6 Greenline is advertised about 100 yards from home I’ll have a wander along when the garage is quite ( with my rod bag, may get a few odd looks but I’m thick skinned )

7 minutes ago, thingy said:

Hi, have you thought about a narrow top-box.

If it's just for rod's etc, could be bolted on as and when needed.

Plus would give you a good storage place for everything.

Food for thought but I’m have reservations as the Yeti is hardly high scoring in the aerodynamic stakes as it sits but as suggested above I think I need to stand in front of it to form an opinion 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, davidwhite said:

As the 1.6 Greenline is advertised about 100 yards from home I’ll have a wander along when the garage is quite ( with my rod bag, may get a few odd looks but I’m thick skinned )

Great idea.  Also note whether the car has a spare wheel, which reduces boot space significantly.

11 minutes ago, Robjon said:

Great idea.  Also note whether the car has a spare wheel, which reduces boot space significantly.

... Vertically, unfortunately for the OP.  I wonder if they make a folding fishing rod?  :thinking:

I had a '12 Yeti, then a '66 Octavia estate. I went back to another Yeti as I missed it.

Boot length is less but I find it quite usable with the middle seat down, and we have a roof box for the rare occasions we need Octavia size space

I had a Greenline. Excellent car until spoilt by the emissions fix. You wont find one that hasnt had it done, but it could be remapped to remove the fix.

If I was looking for a 2wd Yeti of that age I would go for a slightly newere Euro 6 110ps 2wd. They are about as economical as the Greenline was, use adblu and are unlikely to be banned from high pollution areas.

For your fishing rods why not get a set of roof bars. About £35 on ebay and use a plumbers pipe carrier fixed to them to put the rods in?

21 minutes ago, Rustynuts said:

If you're near Richmond pop in and have a sit in mine, see what you think.

Much appreciated but live near Pickering and as mentioned there’s one for sale very nearby !! 

I changed from a 56 plate Octavia to a Yeti and in comparison the Yeti was a lot more comfortable to drive.  Great cars, (plural because I had two), however I really missed the lack of boot space so when I changed the 2nd car due to needing an automatic, (long story), I opted for an Octavia Scout.

Another great car but now I missed the higher driving position of the Yeti and the seats were not quite as comfortable. I’ve now got a Kodiaq Scout, (another even longer story), and now have got the best of both worlds.

On 06/09/2019 at 19:07, Robjon said:

It is very unlikely as this was not a permitted option on a Greenline due to the weight penalty over all the Greenlines sold. It would have pushed the Greenline model as a whole into the next road tax bracket.

If it has a spare it has been retrofitted after purchase.

• Like 1