Columbus RNS510 firmware update

RktDr

Local dealership said it would cost £300 to upgrade my maps and suggested that there are better options them then for this!

After lots of online research I decided to update the firmware from H4120 to 5274.

I have the zipped file RNS_510_FW_5274_update.iso  and have burned this to a DVD at lowest speed.   When I put the DVD in the unit (no keys in iginition) it whirs around and then after 20-30 seconds comes back with a CD/DVD error.

The unit will play a normal music CD without problems.   I tried a different make of DVD and got the same error.

I understood that there was no need to unzip the file as a file with the ISO extension should unzip itself.   Am I wrong?     I checked the contents of the unzipped folder and there is no executable type file in there so the zipped Is seemed the way to do it.

Also wondering if a dual layer DVD will also not work when I try the maps update after the firmware update.

Some research suggests that the laser in the Columbus is a bit poor.  could this be why the music CDs work but not the DVD?

Any pointers to help me load the firmware and maps V16 update appreciated.

.iso files are a disc image format. They don't need unzipping, they don't unzip themselves, but occasionally someone's computer will see .iso files as WinZip files and try to unzip them (or prompt the user to do so).

What you need to do is burn that .iso image to a cd (or dvd) with an image burning program such as imgburn. This will create a disc which will work and should install the new software.

Should you do it, is it a good idea, is there anything to be gained? If all works okay then no real need to, in my opinion. But I do get a good few units sent to me from people who downloaded stuff from a website "and it's killed my Columbus! Please can you help!". If your happy to take that chance then it's up to you, but don't think the world will be a better place just for updating the unit.

• Like 1

Thank you both.  Rustynuts (just love that name)  from searching the forums you seem to go to guru on this subject.

Yes the file does show up on my PC as a Winzip file and burned to the DVD as a winzip file.

I did burn the file to dvd using the windows default software.  I will try again with imgburn.

As to whether I should do it?  Does it not enable me to use DAB radio where as currently I cannot or does that need another unit?  I read the patch notes which suggest DAB is enabled. 

15 minutes ago, RktDr said:

Thank you both.  Rustynuts (just love that name)  from searching the forums you seem to go to guru on this subject.

Yes the file does show up on my PC as a Winzip file and burned to the DVD as a winzip file.

I did burn the file to dvd using the windows default software.  I will try again with imgburn.

As to whether I should do it?  Does it not enable me to use DAB radio where as currently I cannot or does that need another unit?  I read the patch notes which suggest DAB is enabled. 

It only supports DAB on units that have DAB hardware; IIRC these were only fitted to facelift cars (MY '14 & '15).

I updated mine from 3984 to 5274 after I bought it, and the only obvious difference was some nicer graphics for the parking sensors function. I don't know if that was changed between 3984 and 4120 though, or after 4120.

Okay, so as all is working well it look like on advisement that the firmware upgrade can be shelved for the time being.  Thakn you.

So now to the Maps update!   Just waiting for the dual layer DVDs to arrive to try that out.

4 minutes ago, TheRobinK said:

@Rustynuts - if @RktDr is going to update to the latest maps (V16 / 8536?) the doesn't the Columbus need to have a minimum of 5238 on the firmware?   Just double checking as I'm sure I was told that at some point on Briskoda.... 

No, not necessary. Of course, this is true provided the unit hasn't had any "custom" firmware installed at some point which can reduce the size of the maps partition in favour of more music space.

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Rustynuts said:

They don't need unzipping, they don't unzip themselves,

Quite right but if downloaded it will likely come as a zipped file and clearly Columbus can not make sense of that so to be clear you should be burning the .iso file contained in the .zip download to a dvd (dual layer)

don't select a zipped file and burn that.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
28 minutes ago, raymiecoss said:

Folks, 

Just wondering is there any way to modify how the rns connects to my phone via bluetooth? What I mean is at the moment the stereo "takes over" the SIM so to speak. Is there any way to make it behave more like a normal car kit?

Go into the setup menu in the MFD and change from 'Premium' to 'Handsfree' mode.

Some bluetooth modules only support rSAP (premium mode) so will always 'steal' the sim.

If it's possible to switch modes, it'll be via the maxidot (cluster). Snippet of the 2012 Octavia manual but the menu layout would be the same:

image.png.66ebbfc1a2fd7be2338456815bc34f03.png

• Like 1

• 9 months later...

@parkouropaido19 Google is your best option to be perfectly honest, especially for the maps. Anybody linking to downloads of maps on here is likely to be edited for copyright infringement etc. You can buy copies of the maps on eBay, but you're basically paying someone to download a file and burn it to a DVD. The actual cost to them is probably €0.10. But it is an option. You can also buy the maps from a Skoda dealership, but I'd imagine you will pay circa €250 for them. So figure out the disk number of the version you want (usually do-able through Google as well) and go from there. In terms of the firmware, you'll unlikely to see any benefits over the version you installed in 2015. But if you do want to try a new firmware (and the inherent risks associated with the process) then your best option is probably vwnavi.com. The site seems to be down for an upgrade at the moment, but generally that's where I'd look for latest firmwares and advice on what benefits you may get from upgrading.