New L&k Face lift...Case for rejection!!

panmat

No mileage limit. They said that they will keep the car when I give it back, one of the managers is going to run it.

They are trying to get some compensation from Skoda but they will not budge, they insist this info was available if the dealer had looked in the right place.

Just back from ordering the replacement car 😀

Edited by panmat
  • Like 1

Glad your sorted...

I will say, the service at DM Keith for me has always been top notch apart from on one occasion where I simply requested to speak to the dealership manager who mitigated the problem instantly. 

Edited by RickTT
  • Like 1

I'm so glad you got it sorted! I bet that's taken a load off...

I'm a bit confused however, why is it the dealers fault, I thought it was a manufacturing error?

Does L&K not come with lane assist as standard anymore?

45 minutes ago, drewellis said:

I'm so glad you got it sorted! I bet that's taken a load off...

I'm a bit confused however, why is it the dealers fault, I thought it was a manufacturing error?

Does L&K not come with lane assist as standard anymore?

Contract is with the dealer, perhaps? 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, penguin17 said:

Contract is with the dealer, perhaps? 

Doesn't really make sense imo - e.g. if an iPhone has a defect, it shouldn't be down to Three / O2 / Vodafone etc to pay for it....

Apple would replace it foc

edit: it's this bit that confuses me really:

On 10/10/2019 at 18:04, panmat said:

They are trying to get some compensation from Skoda but they will not budge, they insist this info was available if the dealer had looked in the right place.

Edited by drewellis

4 minutes ago, drewellis said:

Doesn't really make sense imo - e.g. if an iPhone has a defect, it shouldn't be down to Three / O2 / Vodafone etc to pay for it....

Apple would replace it foc

edit: it's this bit that confuses me really:

But you, as the the customer of {phone_provider} wouldn't go direct to Apple would you?  Your contract was with the shop/supplier and you should always (unless there's a good reason) go back to them in the first instance.  They would then in turn contact Apple.  The shop/supplier should then do what is required to appease you and then seek any compensation or similar back, directly from Apple.  e.g; you as the customer shouldn't be doing the leg work and should receive the product/service you paid for. 

• Like 1

Yes. Hence I'm confused .. 

panmat's rejection has been accepted - he's sorted, he'll get a new car when it's arrived.

but from what panmat said (below), Skoda (the manufacturer) is blaming it on the dealership?

Or have I misunderstood

On 10/10/2019 at 18:04, panmat said:

• Like 1

^^^ Maybe Skoda are claiming the error was with the dealers order or some other failure on their part? 

For example, there are differences in spec in different areas and perhaps the right box wasnt ticked? Who knows but that would appear to be the reason for refusal.

All that assuming the dealer isnt just laying it on for sympathy and to show how gracious they have been in accepting the rejection. (cynical old me )  

• Like 4

so it is likely then that those 200 rogue L&K's did not have the required radars inside the rear bumpers.

if that is the case, than blindspot monitoring and rear cross traffic alert would be defunct too.

or

its something to do with the ACC and Camera combo.  everytime i turn off the ACC, it tells me that Lane Assist has been deactivated too.

maybe they didn't fit the right A5 camera in the windscreen.

Edited by JR RS

On 14/10/2019 at 13:10, drewellis said:

Yes. Hence I'm confused .. 

panmat's rejection has been accepted - he's sorted, he'll get a new car when it's arrived.

but from what panmat said (below), Skoda (the manufacturer) is blaming it on the dealership?

Or have I misunderstood

If the vehicle is on finance, then your contract is with VWFS (or another finance company depending on where you buy). They remain the owners of the vehicle until your finance is paid off, so any issues like this should always be raised with them. This is generally only the case if dealers aren’t playing ball, but you can always fall back on the finance company to help in matters such as this - they have a duty and it’s in their interest to help, as it’s their asset. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, JR RS said:

so it is likely then that those 200 rogue L&K's did not have the required radars inside the rear bumpers.

if that is the case, than blindspot monitoring and rear cross traffic alert would be defunct too.

No all other systems work as they should

15 hours ago, JR RS said:

its something to do with the ACC and Camera combo.  everytime i turn off the ACC, it tells me that Lane Assist has been deactivated too.

maybe they didn't fit the right A5 camera in the windscreen.

Perhaps..........the reasons were never given.

I think they just rushed the cars into the UK to get them in the show rooms, but who knows?

On 14/10/2019 at 16:43, panmat said:

So all you future L&K adopters make sure yours is not one of the rogue "200" 

And if you figure out that it is - make sure you tell the dealer/stealer that you know about it and you wants loadsa money off.... :evilgrin:

I would have rejected it just as you did though - definitely the right decision in your case.

• Like 1

On 14/10/2019 at 16:43, panmat said:

So the full story....... around 200 L&K's were shipped to the UK with the Lane Assist missing, Skoda issued a bulletin reflecting this fact, so if the dealership had looked at the bulletin they would have known about it and advertised this fact when it was sold.

The trouble is they very rarely use the system when ordering cars etc, in fact most of the speccing is done using another system,

So this is why Skoda doesn't except ant responsibility, regardless of the fact that Skoda said that the system they did use is always up to date.

So Yes the L&K's do come with lane assist.

Which leads me to think that it might not be just a "coding" fix, as surely they would have done it.

So all you future L&K adopters make sure yours is not one of the rogue "200" 

Thanks for clarifying, what an epic fail on Skoda's part! Dealers not using the systems properly is bad, but building a car wrong in 2019 is just pathetic - especially when it should be a standard L&K build, no optional extras to forget about.

Been following this thread with interested and am delighted to see OP getting a good result.

So it was a mistake on skoda's part at manufacture then? 

As a side point, skoda's order system looks a complete bawbag! (if it had been an ordering issue). Was able to watch my dealer go through the process screen by screen when I ordered my Kodiaq, looked an absolute nightmare to do, not just a tick box exercise. Perhaps that was just the way AC's system worked rather than skoda's but either way looked like loads of room for error. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Gmac983 said:

Don't know about mistake.....maybe a parts shortage? like I said who knows but the top and bottom of it is that Skoda did publish the omission but the garage didn't look at it.

16 hours ago, Gmac983 said:

no, it was the dealers fault.

Skoda was unable to build 200 cars with the necessary components, as @panmat suggested - possibly a parts shortage.  So, they issued a statement/publication/notification (whatever they call it) to all dealerships notifying them of this.

in this case, weeks and/or months have passed, and the dealer did under take the due dilligence to check to see if the L&K ordered was one of the affected 200, and simply assumed all was normal.

• 1 month later...

What a great thread ! Glad you got sorted, looking at changing my Fabia and considering a Superb L&K (used) or a Volvo XC70 (2016) both auto, so going to be searching all the threads on both cars with their respective forums. Happy driving.

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

This was a fascinating read. I'm not a Superb owner but I believe it has an "Active" rather than a "Passive" LA system. That is, Active will turn the steering back into lane, Passive will just give an audible  warning.

I am so interested to find out why the dealer could not code or retro fit the LA given you had all the other ADAS systems active. Obviously you had the camera and radar in place. Im wondering if it had something to do with the active part of the system, that is, the actual controlling of the steering wheel. I imagine that another piece of hardware is required to operate this and if that was not present that could be the missing link in the chain. 

In a passive system, that wouldn't be needed and so retro coding would be all that was required. 

Can't imagine it was a faulty or wrong camera as you said you had Traffic Sign Rec.  And ACC was also working, so we know the radar was present and working. 

I also don't think it has anything to do with Blindspot Monitoring or rear sensors as the car is not changing lane with LA, it is just keeping it within the lines, so only slight movements that won't be crossing paths with other vehicles. 

Just a guess, but I really would love to get to the bottom of that issue. 

I am a Locksmith but I work in the same garage as a windscreen company and do some ADAS calibration with them using TEXA and HELLA systems. You'd be surprised at the amount of cars we see with physical camera installed on the windscreen but the ADAS system is not active. Its almost as if the manufacture decided its easier to just install cameras in all of them and if the customer wants ADAS on the car, it's just a coding procedure and handy money. 

I had considered buying a Superb without LA and coding it myself, but this has given me pause for thought.

Might just come down to if the system is passive or active wether or not it can be retro coded once camera in place.