Another DPF question....(sorry!)

Fisheyonadishey

Hi all,

I have a 2017 Yeti L&K 2.0 TDI (DFSB Engine code) just less than 17,000 miles, and I am becoming quite alarmed by the number of DPF regenerations it's doing. I do a lot of short trips, and realise now that the diesel probably wasn't the best option for me, but I'm stuck with it now.

When I first got it, it would regen every few hundred miles, or around 5 weeks, but recently is been getting more and more often, this is the second time this week, even though I did a 60 mile run 2 days ago, just after the last regen. I have always let out run through its regen cycle (occasionally I have stopped it had way through because I didn't realise it was doing it), but 90% of the time I drove out until the cycle has finished. There had not been any warning lights on the dashboard. Although I do lots of very sorry trips, I also get it out on a good run a couple of times a month. I don't use supermarket fuel,

So I'm wondering if this is normal? It's it a sign that the DPF is going to give me trouble soon? When the regen starts, is it ok to leave it at idle until it's finished, or should it be driven while it's regenerating? Any advice greatfully received, I'd like to understand a bit more about what's going on, but there are so many differing opinions on this.

Many thanks

Simon

Edited by Fisheyonadishey

Tbh the car is just doing what it needs to do to maintain its dpf. If you are aware that the car is attempting a regen on the dpf, then perhaps as an aid you should run the car in the described method in the dpf section of your handbook e.g. elevated engine revs in a lower gear above certain speeds. 

But other than too many short journeys you are not doing anything wrong. As the DPF light hasn't come on with you yet I would say your are managing things just fine. 

Edited by Gmac983
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Rustynuts said:

How are you aware it's actually doing a Regen?

Hi. I know it's doing a regen by the fact that the idle speed is increased, the auto stop us disengaged, the cooling fans running, the heat escaping from under the car, and a hot smell coming from the exhaust!

I did a fair bit of research before posting about it, and I'm confident that's what our is doing...

Simon

6 minutes ago, Rustynuts said:

So you only know when you've stopped and turned the engine off? What do you do then, restart and drive at higher revs til it's finished?

Stopped yes, but you don't have to turn the engine off. You can tell by the lack of auto stop function and the higher idle RPM. You wouldn't be able to tell by those with the engine off! Also, the fuel consumption increases quite a bit!

4 minutes ago, Rustynuts said:

High idle can also be an EGR flush. So when you stop and think it's doing a regen, what do you do?

The plot thickens! I didn't know that! I usually drive it until the idle returns to normal, occasionally is not practical and I just have to switch it off, say if I'm arriving at work, but even if I do have to switch it off, it starts regening again when I next start it, and I drive it until it has finished.

Like you I don’t do enough long journeys any more and I keep a close eye as to when regeneration takes place and succeed almost 100% in extending a journey until regeneration is complete. Other than keeping driving I don’t use any particular high revving while waiting for regeneration to complete. My most valuable tool is an old android smartphone with the vag app installed and a Bluetooth adaptor permanently attached to the car diagnostic socket. I check the state of the DPF frequently which enables me to fairly accurately predict a regeneration so I am more prepared for it but more valuable are the many readings on the app which show that the DPF is still in good health despite the predominance of short journeys. Without my success in completing regeneration each time and the readout from that app I might not have the confidence in the health of my diesel with its short journeys.

6 hours ago, Rustynuts said:

High idle can also be an EGR flush. So when you stop and think it's doing a regen, what do you do?

A what?

I've never heard of the car adjusting it's RPM to 'flush' it's EGR before.

A DPF regen, calling for heat from a cold engine or a fault are the main reasons for a higher than normal idle that I am aware of.

8 hours ago, Fisheyonadishey said:

I have a 2017 Yeti L&K 2.0 TDI (DFSB Engine code) just less than 17,000 miles, and I am becoming quite alarmed by the number of DPF regenerations it's doing. I do a lot of short trips, and realise now that the diesel probably wasn't the best option for me, but I'm stuck with it now.

The weather has changed, the ambient temperatures are lower than they were when you weren't noticing the regens as much.

This means less passive regeneration (the burning off of the soot without intervention), which calls for more active regenerations to keep the DPF clear.

Just drive the car and let it do it's thing, try not to worry about it.

If you see the DPF light, then this is a sure sign that your choice of engine isn't really compatible with your journey types.

If you really like the Yeti, and given that the 1.4 TSI engine is so good (and DPF-free), would it make financial sense to look to swap?

image.png.7afe0f69e96940249d96d3e15f8ceb69.png

2 minutes ago, Rustynuts said:

There are many things I guess I've not heard of too. All that means is I don't know everything either.

Seems strange. Many, many years on Briskoda and never heard of it mentioned.

Have you any links, or any additional information to share?

Is EGR flushing not something you can do "manually" yourself with a diy kit or by a 3rd party with a specialized machine? Can't say I've heard of any vehicle automatically doing that itself by means of a high idle or otherwise... 

Edited by Gmac983
  • Like 2

Without any supporting evidence on an "EGR flush" then I think we can safely dismiss this as a possible reason for the raised idle. I've spent some time searching for additional information online without success.

A DPF regeneration is the most logical reason, and for the reasons stated above it seems reasonably normal behaviour.

Keep an eye (or ear!) on it though, I wouldn't be overly concerned, unless you begin to see the DPF light illuminate...

image.png.58a16912127cfe55943832fa7c88d2f8.png

image.png.1f779be467b43059538eabc58d0ccefa.png

image.png.df6fe6ed8d3d0ae6f6fff3e9bd3a013c.png

Edited by silver1011

On 20/10/2019 at 09:28, Gmac983 said:

If you are aware that the car is attempting a regen on the dpf, then perhaps as an aid you should run the car in the described method in the dpf section of your handbook e.g. elevated engine revs in a lower gear above certain speeds. 

You only really need to do that if the DPF light comes on - per the extract from the manual posted by silver1011 above, in fact.

There's no need to do anything simply because you become aware that an active regen is in progress while you're driving.  (I must have noticed it happening about three times in the nine+ years I've been driving diesel Yetis - plus a half dozen or so times when I've noticed the fans running on when I've parked up.  On each occasion I just thought "Oh, I know what's going on", and left it to get on with its thing.)  As silver1011 says, it's the car doing what it's supposed to do, which includes a process to deal with being interrupted every so often.  It's not a sign that anything is "wrong" as in malfunctioning, or needing help from the driver.  The warning light is provided in order to advise the driver when exceptional circumstances have arisen which do require intervention.  Absent the warning light, just get on and use the car.

52 minutes ago, ejstubbs said:

You only really need to do that if the DPF light comes on - per the extract from the manual posted by silver1011 above, in fact.

There's no need to do anything simply because you become aware that an active regen is in progress while you're driving.  (I must have noticed it happening about three times in the nine+ years I've been driving diesel Yetis - plus a half dozen or so times when I've noticed the fans running on when I've parked up.  On each occasion I just thought "Oh, I know what's going on", and left it to get on with its thing.)  As silver1011 says, it's the car doing what it's supposed to do, which includes a process to deal with being interrupted every so often.  It's not a sign that anything is "wrong" as in malfunctioning, or needing help from the driver.  The warning light is provided in order to advise the driver when exceptional circumstances have arisen which do require intervention.  Absent the warning light, just get on and use the car.

You've clearly read the whole thread, so you'll have seen I pretty much said what you've said (and silver 1011)... 

And 3 times in nine + years... Wow, pro... Mine regened monthly (roughly) but never had dpf light come on once in 3 years as I drove it to the hand book. Also I was given the same advice with citroen grand Picasso, was even given a document from citroen UK to the effect. 

Main dealer master tech advised to drive the car to handbook recommendations regardless of dpf light or not as wouldnt hurt. 

I never had any problems with mine. Maybe I wouldn't have had problems in any event, who knows.

I presume you are just fishing for an argument? 

Edited by Gmac983

It should be the right time for everybody to admit the DPF is a mess. An inefficient and expensive mess I might add. A technical disgrace. How else could we name a "solution" that 1) struggles to clean a dirty combustion of an inferior fuel, 2) chokes heavily the engine making it lose up to 20% of its power, 3) takes extra fuel to burn residues, thus being a mobile furnace and a waste, 4) clogs easily, 5) costs A LOT to replace, 6) still outputs "healthy" ash during "regeneration", 7) adds to an existing catalytic converter that also burns wasted fuel, 8 ) contaminates the engine oil ? Not to mention that Diesel cars will eventually be banned in every country. Why? Press heavily the throttle of an Euro 6 Diesel car and you'll see why. My advice is to get rid of Diesel cars and switch to petrol or hybrid.

• Like 1

EV though (once an adequate charging infrastructure exists) not hybrid as they are awful on a whole life bases. Currently drive petrol but would loved to have gone EV if I could have afforded something like a tesla and if we had any sort of charging infrastructure up here where I am (over to you Jimmy Crankie) although you can't even get the chuffing dot matrix signs on the new sections of dualled A9 right so you've got f11ck all chance of getting us decent charging points... Sorry for off topic rant... 

Edited by Gmac983

I didn't mention electric cars for two reasons: 1) they still use electricity produced in massive proportion from fossil fuels, and 2) they have an outrageous, unjustified price. So where's the green, cheap fuel?

• Like 2

I note from Silver's post above that there is now also a procedure for vehicles with petrol engines, so switching to petrol may not be an answer in the future. Will the car manufacturers and dealers be telling us that we are driving our petrol cars wrong when the GPFs get clogged up and the warning lights come on?

Two weeks ago I drove my diesel Octavia Scout from Norwich to Swanage, a distance of around 275 miles with quite a lot of fast motorway driving, followed by the return trip the following day. I would have expected that would have been enough to give the DPF a good passive regen, yet last Saturday after a few hours drive in rural Norfolk I found on returning home that an active regen was in progress, and I had only done about 100 miles since my return from Dorset.

I have owned this car for almost 4 years and 31,000 miles, and have never seen a DPF warning light come on, but like the OP I get concerned if I get an active regen when I am not expecting it.

On 20/10/2019 at 09:19, Fisheyonadishey said:

When the regen starts, is it ok to leave it at idle until it's finished, or should it be driven while it's regenerating?

Last Saturday when I arrived home to find an active regen in progress I decided to let it run in idle until it had finished, expecting it to take about 5 or 10 minutes, as this was the duration I had seen quoted by VW.  In fact it took about half an hour for the idle to return to normal speed and must have used quite a lot of fuel. So if and when this happens again I will either switch off the engine or take the car for a further drive.