Kodiaq Start/Stop

I seem to be having some issues with the Start/Stop button. Often I have to press it two or three times before the engine starts, and similarly to switch off. Four times on one occasion. I’ve tried short presses, long presses, medium presses - it doesn’t seem to matter. Has anyone else experienced this? The car otherwise runs fine, it’s just a frustrating start or finish to my journey! 

The earlier buttons (like what came with my 2013 Superb 2) had a long history of wearing out prematurely.  The revisions 0, A and B were pants.  I replaced the one in the superb with a revision C and it's been great so far.

I thought that was all sorted by the time the Kodiaq was released.

Anyway, it's an easy swap (if you're not under warranty).  Pop off the steering column lower trim (one screw), unplug the button, gently release the clips and the button slips right out the front.  No coding required.

Paid approx $110 AUD (that's about 20 pence in real money) at a dealer for the part.  The dealer's parts guy confirmed that he'd been replacing a lot of the older revision buttons under warranty.

The part number was  3T0905217C but you'd wanna make doubly sure that also fits the Kodiaq before you procure it.  It should be written on the button somewhere.

Thanks! It is still under warranty (1 yr remaining), so I will most likely take it to my nearest Skoda dealer and ask them to investigate. I have only had the car for two months, I bought it second hand with 28,000 miles on the clock.

I'm guessing you're referring to this one...

image.png.6bd6ea786f874347312bc1ab827681d8.png

...and not this one...

image.png.d4df80fdc70b2e05693765d1b934bac0.png

If so, then as suggested above it is a common issue across a number of  Skoda models, including the Kodiaq.

Your dealer should be well versed at what to do, which is essentially swap it out for a revised version...

image.png.ce8c4fc9c5488116121e6838d9245cae.png

Thanks Silver1011, yes it is the former. I assume it will be covered by warranty? I have booked the car in with my Skoda dealer for Monday. Hopefully they will know what to do and just swap it out. It does ‘feel’ to me like it would be a bad/faulty micro switch which I assume is part of the component you have shown above. Thanks again, Andrew

• Like 1

Yes, I'm pretty sure Skoda issued a TPI (Technical Product Information), which is essentially a communication from Skoda UK to their dealer network detailing rectification work needed for common faults. These aren't the same as recalls (safety related), and only come into action if your car is processed via a dealer i.e. routine servicing and they run a check for outstanding actions (TPI's).

Given how common the issue is I'll be amazed if your dealer doesn't bat an eyelid when you drop it off, they'll have replaced plenty already.

I'm glad I logged on today & read this thread... I thought I was going mad.

Mine has been playing up a recently so have rung the dealer & they're checking on stock of the start stop button assembly in the country... hopefully in to be replaced later this week/early next.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

I have a 2018 model of Skoda Kodiaq and I am having the exact same problem with my Start/Ignition button, very annoying.

I am going to take it to my Skoda dealer and see if they can change it under warranty.

• 2 weeks later...

Our Kodiak was serviced recently. Stop/start system was deemed to not be within the required parameters and subsequently changed.

This change seems to coincide with issues with the speed limit guidance readout. Here throughout the New Forest the limit is 40mph. On several significant roads the readout shows 60mph speed limit. Similar errors occur elsewhere but is not everywhere. Dealer offers no solution despite the system working flawlessly up to now. Issue negates the value of such as system and is untrustworthy. Dealer claims similar fault on a new Karok.  The solution was not explained and statements seem inconsistent.

I had exactly this issue within the first 3 months of buying our Kodiaq. Started with the odd non-start when pressing. Then had to press a specific side of the button to get to get it to work. Gradually got worse. The start button was replaced under warranty. Quick job, no hassle. Never had an issue since being replaced.

No issues with the Start/Stop button but do have issues with the stop/start system.  Also intermittent problems with the cruise control and general random electrical messages.

Will get them looked at when it goes in for it's service

Had issues with start stop button 5 months into owning brand new. Dealership seemed to know straight away the button would need replaced, very common apparently. Also had issues with sat nav which I originally had it booked in for about 2/3 weeks before button went, where there was a message on sat nav saying ”navigation database not available" so they replaced the infotainment control module, whatever that is and all under warranty so all is good again after 2 days of them having it and seems to be ok now. Hope this helps anyone else with similar issues 

On 28/08/2020 at 16:58, Strasbourg said:

Our Kodiak was serviced recently. Stop/start system was deemed to not be within the required parameters and subsequently changed.

This change seems to coincide with issues with the speed limit guidance readout. Here throughout the New Forest the limit is 40mph. On several significant roads the readout shows 60mph speed limit. Similar errors occur elsewhere but is not everywhere. Dealer offers no solution despite the system working flawlessly up to now. Issue negates the value of such as system and is untrustworthy. Dealer claims similar fault on a new Karok.  The solution was not explained and statements seem inconsistent.

Did you not see the previous replies on your own topic about your satnav speed limit readouts? You never replied to say whether you had checked how up to date the database is.

2 hours ago, lowedb said:

Did you not see the previous replies on your own topic about your satnav speed limit readouts? You never replied to say whether you had checked how up to date the database is.

Sorry I missed those messages. I will take a look. To reprise the Navigation speed limit readout worked without fault from new in 2018 until a couple of months ago. I surmised the map data had been corrupted in some unknown way. So I downloaded the 2020/2021 map updates from the official Skoda update site onto a recommended memory card. In turn I followed the in car Sat Nav process to update the unit. This went smoothly without a hitch. The Sat Nav acknowledged the update on the screen. This made absolutely no difference. Since then other speed limits have been wrong, switching mid route on open roads. My local dealer has been less than helpful. I have messaged Skoda via their customer support process. No acknowledgement and no reply! I am of the view the Infotainment module is the guilty party but without appropriate technical review this must remain supposition. I have visited the 'Here' website, the supplier of mapping etc for the VAG Group. I note they invite data correction from users but require photos of speed signs to accompany any reports. A somewhat tedious process for me bearing in mind the number of errors. I hope for help from Skoda because I have read of another similar case where the dealer replaced the infotainment unit under warranty. I have been told my case is not unique but not widespread so Dealer knowledge may be deficient. Persistence will hopefully resolve this annoyance.