juddering at 60mph and above

4 wheel driver

I have owned my Yeti  59 plate 170 diesel from new and done 60k.  Recently its developed a judder coming on at approx 60mph.  The vibration transmits through the body and steering and gets worse if speed is increased. 

Had wheels balanced and re-checked, tyres checked with no result.  New discs and pads.   Power is unaffected. 

My mechanic is at a loss to diagnose it and so am I !!!  Any suggestions will be gratefully received.  Thanks

Exactly the same symptoms I had - it was an imbalanced propshaft.  Mine was because it wasn’t bolted up correctly following work at a Skoda dealer but it could be it has lost a balance weight. I did what you have - wheels balanced and swapped around with no change so I put it up on some ramps at home and had a look. This was when I found the problem.

• Like 2

Thanks, Weasley.   I will pursue your suggestion.  If I dipped the clutch  whist experiencing symptoms would it stop the prop shaft spinning or does it continue to spin, which would mean the judder continues?

I much appreciate your quick response and will update when it's sorted.

7 hours ago, 4 wheel driver said:

If I dipped the clutch  whist experiencing symptoms would it stop the prop shaft spinning or does it continue to spin

The clutch disconnects the drive between engine and gearbox.
If the car is moving it will continue to rotate.

Do the tyres have about the same tread depth across all 4 wheels?

Did you have the Haldex oil/filter change at 40k miles?

Edited by bigjohn

Mechanic has test driven the car enthusiastically for about 10 mls with me on board and, sods law..... no juddering.

Underside examined. Weights still on propshaft.

No further forward but he rules out Haldex & Propshaft because the symptoms would not be intermittent.  Remote chance of injector/s dropping out but there is no drop off in performance which makes this an unlikely cause.

Agreed to drive straight to garage for investigation if and when it recurs.

• 4 weeks later...

To updccate my post earlier on this topic, I've had a set of newly refurbished wheels put on the car, with new tyres, and all balanced up correctly.  The juddering has not gone.  It's fine up to about 60-65mph when the juddering/vibration starts.  It's a lot worse under load (like driving up a hill, or accelerating heavily).  Backing off the throttle helps a little, but it doesn't go away.  The gear choice makes little to no difference, dipping the clutch also makes no difference.

I'm booking it in to a garage, to have someone take a look.  I'm assuming it is either going to be something driveshaft or propshaft related.  I hoping it isn't going to be an expensive fix.....

Andy

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Andy Sayle said:

The juddering has not gone.  It's fine up to about 60-65mph when the juddering/vibration starts. 

My sons Capri was like that, turned out to be propshaft support bearing/rubbers.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Urrell said:

My sons Capri was like that, turned out to be propshaft support bearing/rubbers.

That's what I have been thinking it is.  I did a test last night on a "private" road, and over about 85mph, it goes away.  So I'm thinking there is a resonance around that particular road speed, and the obvious suspect is the rubber coupling at the back end of the propshaft.  Hopefully an easy (and cheap!) fix, but we shall see what the garage says....

Andy

• Like 1

Thanks once again for responses and suggestions. Symptoms are very intermittent,  frequency has reduced but can still come on and exactly as Andy Sayle describes.  Interestingly, he has the same model as me.  Using Premium diesel might have helped or is that just coincidental.

Will continue to update the saga when there's more to tell.

HOWARD

• 2 weeks later...

Had the car inspected at a local garage.  When it was up on the ramp, I had a good look.  The rear coupling has a metal ring around the outside.  It looks like this is almost free to do what it wants and there are lots of cracks in the rubber inside it.   Garage is going to replace it and see if that sorts the problem.

• Like 1

On 01/12/2019 at 20:28, Andy Sayle said:

Had the car inspected at a local garage.  When it was up on the ramp, I had a good look.  The rear coupling has a metal ring around the outside.  It looks like this is almost free to do what it wants and there are lots of cracks in the rubber inside it.   Garage is going to replace it and see if that sorts the problem.

Hi,

Has this sorted the problem?

I also have an issue of a loud rumbling noise coming from the rear axle. It happens when in 5th gear between 30-40mph and 6th gear around 40mph then it goes away until I get between 60-70mph in 6th when it comes back with gusto.

BUT when I dip the clutch the noise disappears 

13 hours ago, eldrak21 said:

Hi,

Has this sorted the problem?

I also have an issue of a loud rumbling noise coming from the rear axle. It happens when in 5th gear between 30-40mph and 6th gear around 40mph then it goes away until I get between 60-70mph in 6th when it comes back with gusto.

BUT when I dip the clutch the noise disappears 

Not sure yet.  It's booked in for the rear damper to be replaced tomorrow.  Will report back when it is done :)

12 hours ago, Andy Sayle said:

Not sure yet.  It's booked in for the rear damper to be replaced tomorrow.  Will report back when it is done :)

Ok thank you!

For anyone that may be having some problems similiar, I created a thread about my issues that may or may not shed some light

Problem now sorted. The rear coupling/damper has be replaced with a new one, and all the vibration has gone.

On inspection, the outer metal ring is bonded on in six places.  Three big and three small pads.  All three of the large pads were bot attached to the outer ring, thus allowing too much movement, and much vibration.

You can see the orange corroded areas on the outer ring on the attached pictures.  These are the pads that are no longer attached.

To celebrate the vibrations going, I think a remap is called for!  Ha ha!

20191206_145314.jpg

20191206_145307.jpg

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Andy Sayle said:

Problem now sorted. The rear coupling/damper has be replaced with a new one, and all the vibration has gone.

On inspection, the outer metal ring is bonded on in six places.  Three big and three small pads.  All three of the large pads were bot attached to the outer ring, thus allowing too much movement, and much vibration.

You can see the orange corroded areas on the outer ring on the attached pictures.  These are the pads that are no longer attached.

To celebrate the vibrations going, I think a remap is called for!  Ha ha!

Awesome, glad to hear it 👍

I popped into the garage today for a chat & booked the car in again for January. The mechanic is inclined to think that my deep rumbling noise is due to the silencer on the car. He says that because the silencer is rust free and has been on the car for 12 years he thinks that the plates inside have come away causing the vibration between certain speeds/revs.

He checked over the propshaft, suspension components, rear bushes etc and said the are in great condition for its age and mileage (190k) so is ruling that out.

He will also check the oil in the haldex system due to a concern I have from the last time I had the haldex oil & filter done by another garage.

On 06/12/2019 at 20:34, eldrak21 said:

He says that because the silencer is rust free and has been on the car for 12 years he thinks that the plates inside have come away causing the vibration between certain speeds/revs.

Strange that because it's rust free it points to a problem.

Interesting. Mine is also on original exhaust system.  More and more reported possible causes... But, ironically no nearer to cause and solution. This suggests there can be many and different reasons for these symptoms. Eventually it will be sorted. In the meantime l'll try to be patient!

On 08/12/2019 at 17:46, Roottootemoot said:

@eldrak21

They might want to be changing the Diff oil as well as the Haldex, 190,000 miles is a good time for the Haldex and Diff to be serviced.

Thank you, I think I'll get the diff oil done. They are going to check the haldex oil for me anyway after speaking to them about another garage doing the haldex oil and filter change earlier in the year