Octavia mk 4 no gearstick

2 minutes ago, Ju1ian1001 said:

I have never liked and never will like EPB's thats a personal view and an MOT teters view, horrid things.

You are an MOT tester? 

When was the last time the foot brake failed on a modern car?

I'm gonna stick my neck out and say never 😂

I was one of those "EPB's aren't for me, give me a manual handbrake any day of the week" skeptics, until I discovered the 'Auto Hold' feature.

It's brilliant, it doesn't sound as though it should be, after all how hard is it to keep you foot on the brake pedal, but trust me I really miss it when not driving our Kodiaq.

Knowing it holds the brake lights on still isn't enough for me to dislike it, sorry to those behind me 😂

Edited by silver1011

35 minutes ago, logiclee said:

But if you had autohold you wouldn't need the handbrake. :)

Once you've had Autohold a manual handbrake is a pain.

(Autohold is a system that holds hydraulic pressure onto all four wheels and releases instantly. It doesn't actually use the EPB but VAG only fit it to models with EPB)

Ah.......but I have got autohold on our other car, and have had it on previous cars ( see my signature strip....😉).

I perceive no great value to it.......

🤔

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Phil245 said:

Ah.......but I have got autohold on our other car, and have had it on previous cars ( see my signature strip....😉).

I perceive no great value to it.......

🤔

Manual or auto?

Modern engines with increased efficiency and premiere for mild-hybrid technology
The new ŠKODA OCTAVIA features modern TDI and TSI engines with increased efficiency that, thanks to significantly improved aerodynamics, lower fuel consumption and pollutant emissions. In addition to the diesel and petrol engines, there is also a particularly eco-friendly variant with CNG drive, plug-in hybrid variants and, for the first time at ŠKODA, engines featuring mild-hybrid technology. When fitted with the 7-speed DSG, the three-cylinder 1.0 TSI producing 81 kW (110 PS) and the four-cylinder 1.5 TSI outputting 110 kW (150 PS) make use of a 48-V belt-driven starter motor and a 48-V lithium-ion battery. This makes it possible to ‘coast’ with the combustion engine completely switched off, recover energy whilst braking and support the engine with an electronic boost. At the same time, the engine is able to start more quietly and with fewer vibrations. Both engines are also available in combination with a 6-speed manual gearbox without mild-hybrid technology. The gearbox that comes with the 1.5 TSI was newly developed for engines that deliver high levels of torque and is being used in conjunction with the OCTAVIA’s diesel engines too. The 2.0 TSI with a power output of 140 kW (190 PS) is exclusively available with all-wheel drive and a 7-speed DSG. All of the TSIs are fitted with a petrol particulate filter.

Plug-in hybrid with two different power variants
Following on from the first ŠKODA plug-in hybrid, the ŠKODA SUPERB iV, the Czech brand is also offering the new OCTAVIA with a 1.4 TSI petrol engine – the OCTAVIA iV features an electric motor too – and even comes with two different power variants. As well as the model with a power output of 150 kW (204 PS), another version outputting 180 kW (245 PS) is planned to be added to the portfolio. Both variants will come with a 6-speed DSG.

13 minutes ago, logiclee said:

Manual or auto?

Manual - all of them - I still like to drive a car....😜

I have driven several auto's in work quite regularly, fine if that is what you want from a car, but not for me..........

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, silver1011 said:

When was the last time the foot brake failed on a modern car?

I'm gonna stick my neck out and say never 😂

I was one of those "EPB's aren't for me, give me a manual handbrake any day of the week" skeptics, until I discovered the 'Auto Hold' feature.

It's brilliant, it doesn't sound as though it should be, after all how hard is it to keep you foot on the brake pedal, but trust me I really miss it when not driving our Kodiaq.

Knowing it holds the brake lights on still isn't enough for me to dislike it, sorry to those behind me 😂

Had one last week a 9 (yes 9) year old mercedes M class, came in for a futine brake inspection, road tested it around the estate (not on a public road thankgod) and my foot went to floor, put on the ramp in the air and found the main front to rear metal brake had corroded to the extent it was leaking fluid under pressure each time the brake pedal was pressed, so brakes can and do  fail at any time. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Ju1ian1001 said:

yes have been for 15 years

OK.

I thought you would have been trained that the EPB does not use the hydraulic braking system and is available if the hydraulic system fails.

That's a requirement of the Road Vehicle Use and Construction Regulations.

6 minutes ago, Ju1ian1001 said:

Had one last week a 9 (yes 9) year old mercedes M class, came in for a futine brake inspection, road tested it around the estate (not on a public road thankgod) and my foot went to floor, put on the ramp in the air and found the main front to rear metal brake had corroded to the extent it was leaking fluid under pressure each time the brake pedal was pressed, so brakes can and do  fail at any time. 

Doesn't an M Class have a dual circuit braking system?

Just now, logiclee said:

OK.

I thought you would have been trained that the EPB does not use the hydraulic braking system and is available if the hydraulic system fails.

That's a requirement of the Road Vehicle Use and Construction Regulations.

Thats construction and use, MOT standards differ a lot (must only meet MINIMUM standard) and yes i know EPB's have no bearing on the hydraulic system,i also know what a faf they can be when changing rear brake pads and disc's ( which is another reason i hate them)

I'd much rather have a normal handbrake.

In fact I simply wouldn't buy a car without one.

It's simple, it works, you have complete control.  Less to go wrong.

I've driven many many hire cars with electric parking brakes and hated the experience in each and every one.

I find myself reaching for the brake at every stop.

Tbh I don't really rate having hill hold, it's a function that's just not needed.

But then, I also drive a manual as I don't really see changing gear as a hardship or a computer trying to predict what I want as a bonus.

Edited by Alex-W
  • Like 4

1 minute ago, logiclee said:

Doesn't an M Class have a dual circuit braking system?

yes but both front to rear lines had corroded through as the both run down the nearside of the vehicle, dual circuit system useless then, did manage to get back to the workshop in a safe manor using the foot brake and creeping along at about 5mph, customer had the work done, we replaced all brake pipes at his request although only needed the front to rears.  

So the previous MOT test pass was dubious then.

The amount of fail safe systems built in to brake systems means a failure is extremely unlikely.

How many other instances have you come across in your 15 years?

9 minutes ago, silver1011 said:

So the previous MOT test pass was dubious then.

The amount of fail safe systems built in to brake systems means a failure is extremely unlikely.

How many other instances have you come across in your 15 years?

Don't know about previous test, had not seen this customer or car before, might of been advised on the previous test, but what good are fail safes when both lines are corroded through and no fluid in the system, there isn't as many fail safes as you think, sure modern system are dual circuit, all modern systems have ABS, the rest like electronic brake distribution, hill hold auto hold, are all aids to help. you still have brake pipes to can and do corrode, rubber hoses the can split or perish/deteriate which the modern aids can see or help, brake fluid still absorbs water and can corrode the system from inside out. you still have discs the can wear through and explode.

We all think coz modern cars are so good that things don't fail, well they do and even fail safes can and do fail. 

My point was, in several years on Briskoda I've never once read about a complete brake failure.

Sure, reduced brake performance through neglect or poor maintenance but your example of putting your foot on the brake and it getting no braking whatsoever is so, so rare.

6 minutes ago, silver1011 said:

My point was, in several years on Briskoda I've never once read about a complete brake failure.

Sure, reduced brake performance through neglect or poor maintenance but your example of putting your foot on the brake and it getting no braking whatsoever is so, so rare.

Not as rare as you think, it's about the 5th time i've had it in the last couple of years, years ago car makers put plastic coating onto steel brake pipes but they don't seem to now so corroded brake pipes and such is becoming common again, it's all down to cost cutting again or cut the cost to manufacture and hike up the price to paying costumer equals more profit.

1 hour ago, Alex-W said:

I'd much rather have a normal handbrake.

In fact I simply wouldn't buy a car without one.

It's simple, it works, you have complete control.  Less to go wrong.

I've driven many many hire cars with electric parking brakes and hated the experience in each and every one.

I find myself reaching for the brake at every stop.

Tbh I don't really rate having hill hold, it's a function that's just not needed.

But then, I also drive a manual as I don't really see changing gear as a hardship or a computer trying to predict what I want as a bonus.

And me... I much prefer to use a proper starting handle to turn the engine over, those futuristic keys will make holes in my pockets.... 😏

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Ju1ian1001 said:

yes but both front to rear lines had corroded through as the both run down the nearside of the vehicle, dual circuit system useless then, did manage to get back to the workshop in a safe manor using the foot brake and creeping along at about 5mph, customer had the work done, we replaced all brake pipes at his request although only needed the front to rears.  

Both pipes corroded at exactly the same time/rate  so as to cause a complete brake failure, hmm.

42 minutes ago, Ju1ian1001 said:

Not as rare as you think, it's about the 5th time i've had it in the last couple of years, years ago car makers put plastic coating onto steel brake pipes but they don't seem to now so corroded brake pipes and such is becoming common again, it's all down to cost cutting again or cut the cost to manufacture and hike up the price to paying costumer equals more profit.

but one corroded pipe won't cause a complete brake failure.

3 hours ago, silver1011 said:

I use neutral and handbrake at lights etc, so I don't blind the people behind. I don't like sitting behind someone with brake lights on so I don't do that to others. Enough reason for me not to want autohold. 

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, Sweephand said:

I use neutral and handbrake at lights etc.

Too much hassle.

Brake lights aren't going to blind anyone unless they're determined to stare directly at them.

• Like 2