Fuel consumption.

Taggs

Lots of mpg discussion on forum, have a search for the various threads.

Mine at the moment with winter and rain gets 36 - 38 local trips of less than 15 mins.

Intermediate I can push it slightly over 40.

Longer trips with decent weather I can get 50.

Lots of discussion on if eco does anything and sports mode can be better mpg.

My current position is that I use Eco as I am not so happy with sports mode re rpm and engine noise.

I would suggest trying sports mode to see if it works for you on a known journey and comparable weather / temp settings...

It does get better with age. Click on my profile to find other topics re mpg if search does not find them...

Just my 2p

44 minutes ago, Taggs said:

Can anyone help i have had my Skoda Karoq 1.5 SEL TSI Automatic since April and am pleased with it every way apart from consumption, i run in ECO mode all the time and drive carefully but only get 32-33 per gallon

Hi Taggs, welcome to the forum!

Your MPG is about correct, for the time of year. It will improve a little in time. There is a small price to pay for the engine being a petrol, auto, and quite lively.  I have never used Eco and always run in Normal mode. 

14 minutes ago, OldKaroq said:

Hi Taggs, welcome to the forum!

Your MPG is about correct, for the time of year. It will improve a little in time. There is a small price to pay for the engine being a petrol, auto, and quite lively.  I have never used Eco and always run in Normal mode. 

Seems a bit low to me. I stopped using eco as I didn't see any benefit. I rarely use sport either. Average all around is about 42mpg and Ive had well over 50mpg on long runs.

28 minutes ago, Breezy said:

Seems a bit low to me. I stopped using eco as I didn't see any benefit. I rarely use sport either. Average all around is about 42mpg and Ive had well over 50mpg on long runs.

Thats pretty good!

After 19 months Im similar to MJ1 above - my 20min commute gives a steady 37mpg in the winter - no dual carriageway/motorway use. Best ever was 52mpg on a very long run. Which I reckon is  good for a car that is brisk but not exactly aerodynamic. 

mpg is very subjective and depends on many different factors. You say you drive careful and in ECO but you don't say how long your journeys are or what the traffic conditions are. If you are only travelling a few miles or travelling longer in rush hour stop/start traffic then that would explain it. If you're travelling longer distances at a constant speed between 40 - 60mph with little traffic around then something is clearly wrong.

If you can post photos of long-term average mpg + since last refuel average mpg + last journey mpg from the infortainment screen, that may give someone a clue to what's going on. According to HonestJohn realmpg ( which I find the best indicator bar none ), joe average should expect around 40mpg for his average journey.

The interest of the eco mode is coasting.  Used correctly, it is very impressive.  Simply turn off the cruise control and do not touch the throttle if not necessary.  The engine produces no braking effect and you consume nothing over very long distances.

43 minutes ago, Phenix said:

The interest of the eco mode is coasting.

What information source have you used to say that? I've seen several product videos from VAG manufacturers explaining what the different modes involve, but have never come accros them mentioning coasting.

Hi Eco does use the coasting feature. See some of the other posts, when coasting (only eco) the car switches from gear into E.

I just driven down to WSM, mainly motorway M40 / M42 / M5 lite rain 9%, 65mph cruise control with occasional burst to 70 to overtake trucks.

Display shows 47.7mpg

MPG varies considerably with traffic (and to some extent with temperature)

On my regular commute has been as low at 31mpg, as high as 54mpg (same route, same time of day)

The low was when accident and big queues on a schoolday

The high when I had to go into office once between Christmas and New Year and roads deserted

For about first 2500-3000 miles engine is lot tighter, and seems to do about 3-5mpg less

Will improve especially after a journey of hour or more when oil gets fully warm (can check oil temp by scrolling through using right thumbwheel), so maybe your style of gentle driving is holding back the better consumption as you need to get the oil fully circulating periodically to improve mpg

I nearly always use Normal (D) mode.  Eco seems waste of time, sport makes engine bit noisy, rarely use manual gear mode 

Edited by SurreyJohn

• 2 weeks later...

So far my  Edition 1.5 DSG 4x4 (not currently available now)  delivered during the early summer months I get late 30s in the autumn (less so in the summer when it was new and the AC was on overdrive)  dipping to the lower to mid 30s now in winter. That's what Id expect given the extra weight and drag on the 4x4 system. My driving i0 mile round commute is 1/2 motorway and 1/2 urban  in Bristol and with the constant roadworks I think it's not that bad.

5 minutes ago, gSvrs said:

hi all is 46.6 ok mpg for a 4x4 dsg  2.0 scr in a karoq

with 5000m on clock 

I would like to see 56mpg on a run 

Seems about right to me as our 1.5Tsi manual front wheel drive Karoq SEL has averaged 46.6mpg over 22,000 miles. Best of 63mpg but usually 52-55mpg on a decent length run.:thumbup:

New modern cars are still being produced to get the WLTP / RDE results and now RDE2 on emissions.

So real world test results that are still not actually as a car might really be driven in the real world with people in the seats and luggage in the boot.

Supposed high polluting old cars that might have low VED and be very reliable and drive well fully loaded can be more economical.

The sort of economy a modern tdi SUV gets is a joke.

Edited by Roottootemoot

2 hours ago, gSvrs said:

hi all is 46.6 ok mpg for a 4x4 dsg  2.0 scr in a karoq

with 5000m on clock 

I would like to see 56mpg on a run 

This is what I get in the same car! I do get to see 56mpg on motorway runs .

Average for the year @ 9000mls is around 45 true.

see what happens I have to go fort William after new year in jan 

see what happens then 

if don't get better than 50 ish 

thinking of getting  smaller car 

3 hours ago, gSvrs said:

see what happens I have to go fort William after new year in jan 

see what happens then 

if don't get better than 50 ish 

thinking of getting  smaller car 

Owners are averaging 43.4mpg according to the figures over at HonestJohn ( which IMO is one of the most realistic websites for real-world mpg )

You've got to remember you're driving a 2.0tdi 4x4 automatic - if you are averaging 46.6mpg that's pretty good.  Don't you think 56.6mpg for a 4x4 auto is unrealistic? Have to admit I can't think of any other car that'd return such a figure, especially in winter.

If you're going for a smaller car, what would you buy? Would it still be a 4x4 auto?

Edited by Guest

30 minutes ago, Scot5 said:

Owners are averaging 43.4mpg according to the figures over at HonestJohn ( which IMO is one of the most realistic websites for real-world mpg )

You've got to remember you're driving a 2.0tdi 4x4 automatic - if you are averaging 46.6mpg that's pretty good.  Don't you think 56.6mpg for a 4x4 auto is unrealistic? Have to admit I can't think of any other car that'd return such a figure, especially in winter.

If you're going for a smaller car, what would you buy? Would it still be a 4x4 auto?

may be a A3 5 door quattro 2.0 tdi  62 plate

3 hours ago, gSvrs said:

may be a A3 5 door quattro 2.0 tdi  62 plate

Well that's right on a facelift. If it's the 2013my version then, despite the car being lower, more aerodynamic, smaller than the Karoq and a manual transmission, the average mpg is only 47.3mpg.  Would seem a rather crazy move if economy was your only gripe. 

2 hours ago, Roottootemoot said:

Not much cope if you will be visiting Scottish Low Emissions Zones which will not only be in cities in Scotland.

Do you know something the rest of us Scots don't?   You haven't been down the pub with wee Patrick Harvie by any chance? :giggle:

The low emissions zones will begin with four cities but the new Transport (Scotland) Bill 2019 allows for any local authority to create their own.

I couldn't get the actual bill page to open on my phone but here's a quote from the bills outline on Transport Scotland site.

https://www.transport.gov.scot/our-approach/transport-scotland-bill/

The Bill enables the creation and civil enforcement of low emission zones by local authorities, and will allow the Scottish Government to set consistent national standards for a number of key aspects including, but not limited to, emissions, penalties, certain exemptions and parameters for grace periods for low emission zones.

• Thanks 1