Early tyre wear

Our Kodiaq Sportline 2.0TSI has done just over 10,000kms or 6,000 ish miles and already the front Continental Sport Contact 5 tyres look ready for replacing due to wear. Tyre pressures all fine, wheels are aligned etc. We do not drive our car hard and I usually get at least 30000kms from a set from on other vehicles. 

Do other Kodiaq owners experience similar wear? 

My wifes Karoq - at 4000 miles has around 5mm left in centre and 2 to 2.5mm left at edges on front and 5mm in centre rear and 3mm at edges.. (approx) in rear.

I run at higher pressure (ECO) because I noticed the wear at about 1500 miles and increased pressure to ECO setting.

Inner and outer edges wearing..

4x4 DSG TDi150

I just swapped them to Winter wheels - so when they go back on in April will swap front to back.

Hope I can get 8,000 to 10,000 on the set..

As legally you only need tread on centre 2/3 tyre...   and i will use Winter tyres for worst of weather..

Worn tyres at 6,000 miles!?

Either you're mistaken, there is something wrong or someone is borrowing the car at night and spending a few hours on a race track!

Have you had the chance to measure the tread depth?

I assume Sportline means 19" wheels? Conti Sportcontacts won`t last long, as the compound is very soft, but 10 000 km is clearly too short. 30 000 km at this wheel size would be ok.

6 minutes ago, MrTrilby said:

Our SEL Kodiaq on Pirelli Scorpions is just coming up on 50k miles and although I’ve not measured them for a while, they look like I can probably get them to 60k miles before I need to change them. 

Previous car was a Macan - Scorpion Verdes were replaced ag the front at 45k miles. That's kind of what I was expecting from my Kodiaq even though it's front wheel bias.

12 minutes ago, linni said:

I assume Sportline means 19" wheels? Conti Sportcontacts won`t last long, as the compound is very soft, but 10 000 km is clearly too short. 30 000 km at this wheel size would be ok.

20" are standard here in New Zealand.

2 hours ago, PilotFlying said:

Our wheels are Sportline 20", standard in New Zealand on this model. Attached a picture of front tyre, both are similar, outer tread almost gone, uniform wear on centres.

20191110_183425.jpg

Same wheels & tyres on mine... done just over 30,000km & mine are getting close to where I'd swap front to back... not as worn as yours on the outer edges for sure.

Have you been rotating and aligning every 15k km?

I have heard reports that the Contis are definitely the most wearing out of the 3 bigger tyres offered (Hankook S1 Evo2 SUV, Pirelli Scorpion Verde, Continental ContiSportContact5) to be fair.

I had Hankook tyres on mine and the fronts lasted around 27K before they needed replaced. The rears still had about 4-5mm on them.

Replacing them as soon as that seems way too soon.

No tyre wears its shoulders away quickly because of a too soft rubber compound, the wear would still be even. 

Most likely been run under inflated (I noticed you said tyre pressures were fine, what were they?) or wheel alignment is out. 

Or you take corners enthusiastically. 😁

The various versions of both Continental Sport and Premium contacts are notorious for having a poor wear rate, regardless of what car they are on.   Take a look on forums such as Pistonheads and it won't take long to find similar complaints. 

OK... but was that "poor wear rate" even wear across the tyre or just the shoulders being scrubbed off (as OP) due to potential bad wheel alignment or under inflation or indeed driving style. 

I am interested as the same tyres are on my kodiaq sportline, though I'm only at 2.5k miles so tyres look like new on mine yet. 

Had a quick scan through some of those posts on pistonheads, fairly inconclusive stuff really. 

I'm by no means bigging up conti's. When mine are worn out they'll be changed for all seasons and not likely conti's.

Edited by Gmac983

Pressures were set at the non ECO setting - sorry - do not remember - 2.3 or 2.4 bar - I increased them to ECO setting - 2.7 Bar from memory - data in the petrol flap.

I have an air compressor at home which has a digital pressure gauge on the inflator and also a digital gauge that I check - they both read the same within 0.1 bar..

I have motorbikes - so tyre pressures are very important - hence expensive inflator (same as in Petrol Station PCL) and Digital gauge..

Tyres are wearing inside and outside edge - FRONT and BACK (front worst) - indicating tyre pressure - hence why I previously increased pressure to ECO level.

Wife drives it 80% time short distances to and from work  / shopping and ocassional longer run during week and I drive it 20% time (weekends) for longer runs - 30 / 40 miles.

As its 4 wheel drive - you would not expect wheel spin wear...

Wife is always hard on tyres - her Citigo had 12,000 miles (75bhp) and I had already swapped front to back... to even wear.

I assume its the short journeys and turning wheels when stationary for front... but can not explain rear wear - which while not as bad as front is not good - or normal for wife..

I think it was simply underflation, yes you were within manufacturers recommendations, but to maintain even tyre wear on these relatively wide and low profile tyres on what is a fairly heavy car, you may have to trade of some ride comfort and up the tyre pressures to the high load recommendations. 

Ive been on the eco pressures from day one myself and am watching tyre wear closely. 

Edited by Gmac983

On 29/11/2019 at 13:02, SimonAudi said:

Off the wifes Karoq - 4x4 2.0 TDi - 4100 miles - mainly urban

I assume you missed off a zero?

It is difficult to tell from the pictures, did you sneeze!? Are these worn or not?

2 hours ago, silver1011 said:

I assume you missed off a zero?

It is difficult to tell from the pictures, did you sneeze!? Are these worn or not?

Hi

I am afraid I did not miss off a Zero..

Front tyres are around 5mm left in centre and 2 to 2.5mm left at edges - almost nothing at very edge..

Rear 5mm in centre rear and 3mm at edges.

• Like 1