Dsg gear shifter

Skodamanontheroof

🤨 Hi, got my new Karoq dsg 1.5 design and love the ride. This is our first auto and feel it’s so much better than a manual.

Most benefit I feel is you can concentrate more on  your safe driving without having to constantly change gear.One thing bemusing me is the gear selector ? Can anyone answer the logic in if you want to select reverse you move it forward the opposite if you select drive you move it back.Just thought it might be better the other way, am I missing something here, anyone know.

Welcome.

When the car is in 'P' & you start it with your foot on the brake & you want reverse you move the shifter back.

Next is 'N',  then back again is 'D'. 

Might just stop those that wreck all those cars you read about by mistakenly pressing the accelerator in supermarket car parks.

They have to go through reverse, N to get into D or again back to get into S.

Those that drive nose first into parking places maybe need 'R' first to get out.

If you reverse in, stop with foot on brake and move to 'P' without going through 'N'.  All simple stuff.

Edited by Roottootemoot
  • Like 1

Thanks guys for your replies, yes we have all heard of people wrecking their and other people’s cars by selecting the wrong gear.I actually know someone who drove through their garage door.Must admit this was a concern when we decided to go auto, but hopefully it will never happen.Old habits can die hard, shifting something forward mostly implies you go that way and shift back also..AsSimonaudi says there all like it so the logic must be there.thanks

12 minutes ago, Skodamanontheroof said:

shifting something forward mostly implies you go that way and shift back also.

Thats an interesting theory!

Do you expect to go backwards when you select 2nd, 4th or 6th gear (if you have it) in a car with a manual gearbox?

Sequential shifters pull back to go up a gear and pust forward to go down.

Convention is what it is, will remain as long as all manufacturers continue with it and the world is a safer place due to the majority of drivers understanding it, the first one to adopt your logic would have the world proclaiming "what were the idiots thinking of!"

7 minutes ago, Kenny R said:

Wait till you graduate into manual mode, As it seems counterintuitive to me, push forward to change up backwards to change down.

Were/are you a biker by any chance, Ken?  On every bike I have owned bar one (A10 Gold Flash) it was necessary to pull the lever to change up and push the lever to change down.

No not a biker, but I’ve always thought it would make more sense to pull back to change up like on the touring cars when I used to watch them many moons ago.

34 minutes ago, Kenny R said:

Wait till you graduate into manual mode, As it seems counterintuitive to me, push forward to change up backwards to change down.

I just use the paddles when using manual mode its the reason I optioned them, as you say counterintuitive... 

Edited by Gmac983

2 hours ago, Skodamanontheroof said:

I actually know someone who drove through their garage door.Must admit this was a concern when we decided to go auto, but hopefully it will never happen.

What a lucky person they were. Not long after passing my driving test, I drove my father's car out the rear of the garage ( luckily it was wooden, and ready to be demolished ).  And that was in a manual car. Lesson learned - to this day when I park a manual car and leave it in gear, I always select 1st or reverse depending on how the car is parked. Starting the ignition with the car still in gear wasn't the brightest of ideas. ( not an option with an Auto unfortunately ).

I'd liked to have driven thru garage doors, that way my father could have replaced just his doors instead of the whole garage :blush:

Incredibly, there wasn't even a scratch on the car.

Edited by Guest

6 minutes ago, Skodamanontheroof said:

Sounds like a good idea to me😊

Depends who's driving. In 1975 I saw a mechanic bump a horrible little  Daf 44 auto, reversing instead of going forwards. The small crease in the rear panel and bumper was knocked out and blown over,  only for the unfortunate elderly lady owner, who, ignorant of the earlier bump, jumped  in it and reversed it into the rear of an E-type coupe, resulting in identical small creases in the recently repaired panel and bumper. It had only gone in the garage for a  repair to the autobox. 

• Like 1

There are still CVT's around like that. 

But there are EV's with no gearbox and the shifter still goes forward (down) to reverse and back (up) to go forward and back (up) again to use more regenerative braking to slow does.

Bottom pic was my Toyota iQ CVT.  That was a good CVT still with R first from P then N, D & B.

Screenshot 2019-12-12 at 16.27.46.jpg

iQ interior march 2011 forfar 001 (800x600).jpg

Edited by Roottootemoot

5 hours ago, Robjon said:

Were/are you a biker by any chance, Ken?  On every bike I have owned bar one (A10 Gold Flash) it was necessary to pull the lever to change up and push the lever to change down.

Advance warning, post off topic

I know the feeling Robjon. Although I ride a bike little these days it just seems backwards so I'm pleased my car has the paddles. I remember the pre-unit Meriden Triumphs and Nortons/BSA that had the gear shift on the right, that must have been fun for a modern bike rider riding a classic who wants to use the rear brake and crash the gearbox an hopefully not the bike. Oddly the position of the side stand stayed in the left that makes the bike lean into the traffic in areas that drive on the right, not a good idea if the road has a pronounced 'crown' in the middle as the bike may not lean enough on the stand and blow over.

End of off topic post.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Kenny R said:

Are you talking about using a DSG in manual mode? and if so then with the gearlever or steering wheel paddles?

The only sequential gearboxes I have experience with are the bike engined Caterhams that I built where I fabricated my own gear linkages, the bellcranks were in the opposite (lower) position to the factory ones (designed by a friend) but the action was the same, pull lever back to go up the gearbox - 1st to 2nd to 3rd etc and push forward to downshift, on my own and with no other references I would have done it that way but I suppose it is the opposite to the downtube mounted derailleur shifters of the racing bikes of my youth.

3 minutes ago, J.R. said:

Are you talking about using a DSG in manual mode? and if so then with the gearlever or steering wheel paddles?

Yes I'm talking about using a DSG in manual mode using the gear selector lever. The OP was questioning the selector layout as it seemed wrong to him, and I was implying that using manual mode would confuse him even further as you push forward to change up and pull back to change down which I and it appears others seems counterintuitive. 

Crikey, that is counterintuitive to me as well, I had always hankered after a DSG box, if I had one now I would have to reverse the mechanism!

8 hours ago, Kenny R said:

I agree, it's one of the main reasons I did not spec. DSG for my Octavia. I had intended to use it mainly in manual mode, but auto around town - I did not like the "push - up" pull - down logic.

19 minutes ago, J.R. said:

Crikey, that is counterintuitive to me as well, I had always hankered after a DSG box, if I had one now I would have to reverse the mechanism!

Just make sure you get the paddle shifters, they work just fine.

TBH even if the gear lever did work the right way around in manual mode its a bit clonky and awkward IMO and the paddles are much nicer to use.

At least for auto gear selection they do have it the right war around with park all the forward and D/S all the way back or at least that's the way most are. 

Counterintuitive maybe, but not a big deal. You don't buy an auto so you can change gears manually. Possible exception would be a sporty driver who wants faster gear changes, but then you would get steering wheel paddles. I prefer to just let the auto do its job, having set the driving mode to give me the style of driving that I require. Normally I keep it in Eco, and put it into Sport temporarily if I want a burst of extra acceleration by pulling back on the DSG lever.