2020 F1 Discussion

camelspyyder

The rules allowed it. Only Racing Point took a risk and did it. And it was a risk too, because their car philosophy previously was the high rake design favoured by RedBull. To copy Mercedes they have had to throw that all in the bin, and start from scratch with a Merc style low chassis, that no other team uses these days. 

Right now, it's bloody quick. What will it do when they learn how to optimise it and set it up?

Ferrari and bullsh1t.

Everything I've read since last year's USGP makes a point of explaining they are slow because their new high downforce car is too draggy. It seems like this explanation has been out there so long and so often even the racing media believe it.

So that explains Alfa's plunge to the back of the grid too does it?

Nothing to do with say 50 to 100 bhp going missing at all - when the cheating stopped?

Edited by camelspyyder
  • Like 2

Perez looking Racy and with a Point to make to his team and trying to keep Seb away from the driver's seat in 2021. Looking like Merc's on front row in qualifying with Ferrari and Racing Point sharing rows 2 and 3. Max scratching his head looking for a better balance after a spin in FP3 which was surprisingly dry.:tongueout:Feeling a little smug with my earlier prediction. Even lower Lap Record for Lewis with a 1:13.4 with Merc A, Merc A, Merc B, Merc B, Ferrari A and Ferrari A.:mmm:

Edited by shyVRS245
MORE INFO ADDED

Both Williams onto Q2

4 Ferrari engines in the slowest 5 in Q1.

Racing point 1-2 ( on fresh tyres that Mercedes didn't use )

Edited by camelspyyder

Red Bull racing usually do better at circuits like Monaco and Hungary, where their lack of power is compensated by a good chassis and aero package. Didn't Max get pole here last year? The best they could achieve today was seventh and 1.4 seconds off of the pole time. I was listening to the report on the radio when coming home down the M1 and I thought they said that Max had no new tyres for his second run in Q3.  

1 hour ago, moley said:

Red Bull racing usually do better at circuits like Monaco and Hungary, where their lack of power is compensated by a good chassis and aero package. Didn't Max get pole here last year? The best they could achieve today was seventh and 1.4 seconds off of the pole time. I was listening to the report on the radio when coming home down the M1 and I thought they said that Max had no new tyres for his second run in Q3.  

True they were wearing out the soft tyres much faster than the other teams in the dry FP1.

55 minutes ago, shyVRS245 said:

True they were wearing out the soft tyres much faster than the other teams in the dry FP1.

FP1 tyres are free I think. They don't come out of the weekends allocation.

That said RedBull probably had to use 2 sets just to get out of Q1. And stayed on reds in Q2.

Just awful performance by them overall, considering they are the only likely prospect of a season long challenge to Mercedes.

How long before Max starts sniffing around for a Mercedes? He may soon feel that RB-Honda is not a championship winning ride and walk away, just as Senna did from Lotus-Renault.

I think Bottas needs to sign his new contract ASAP to head Max off at the pass.

Edited by camelspyyder

Toto Wolff interviewed in Autosport says the new car is so fast because, ironically, Ferrari pushed them so hard last year.

Toto Wolff says his Mercedes Formula 1 team was pushed to "burnout" levels by Ferrari last year and suggests it's "ironic" it has taken a jump in performance as a result.

Wolff was making a pointed reference to the drop in the performance of Ferrari's power unit since last season as a result of a clampdown by the FIA, in the wake of the controversial "settlement" agreed earlier this year.

In effect he was implying that in trying to compete with a power unit that many observers suspect wasn't being operating within the regulations Mercedes was pushed to make key development steps that have paid off this year, especially with Ferrari slipping back.

Yesterday Ferrari boss Mattia Binotto said that Ferrari had been reined in by technical directives issued by the FIA that impact all teams equally, but Wolff suggested there was more to the story.

"Another complete bull**** story, technical directives," he said. "There's a clear regulation on power units.

"There have been clarifications in Austin, what is allowed to do or not, which were important, but nothing that was in any way surprising because if you comply to the regulations that was anyway clear.

"I think the irony of the story is that we were pushed by some of our competitors to absolutely new levels.

"It brought us to almost burnout last year, to develop and innovate in a way to be competitive on track.

"And here we go, I think we made a substantial jump in performance from 2019 to 2020. Because we needed to last year, and that is a little bit ironic for me."

• Thanks 2

FIA, I want to protest the Mercedes team for making it rain and causing our leading driver to crash.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

25 minutes ago, moley said:

FIA, I want to protest the Mercedes team for making it rain and causing our leading driver to crash.

If I was Racing Point I would object to RBR carrying out mods on the grid after Park Ferme because the stewards couldn't check Max's car for legality before the race.

Perfect Sunday for our new Championship Leader Lewis as he converts Pole Position to race win number 86 and an extra point for fastest lap gaining 26 points and a full monty. Good points for RBR and Racing Point and another disaster for the Red Team.

• Like 1

Dull race. Good work from Stroll. Albon not bad. 2 point swing for fastest lap could prove vital...as Hamilton says, he has previously lost the title by only 1 point (although I remain convinced it was fixed by the FIA so... whatever Lewis)

• Like 2

Guest BigJase88

Straight shootout this season between Hamilton and Bottas. Only driver that can maybe get up in between them is Verstappen which will be pivotal.

Hoping Verstappen can beat Bottas a few more times.

How Bottas jump start wasn’t even investigated is beyond me

Just now, BigJase88 said:

Straight shootout this season between Hamilton and Bottas. Only driver that can maybe get up in between them is Verstappen which will be pivotal.

Hoping Verstappen can beat Bottas a few more times.

Max is like the Red Bull rear wing. Will be a huge spoiler for one of the Merc drivers this season.👅

Guest BigJase88

I can maybe even see a shock Vettel switch back to Red Bull, they cannot keep dropping points with poor showings from 2nd drivers. They need someone who can get some decent points. Although Vettel is not on Max’s level i feel he would do a better job than Albon.

17 minutes ago, BigJase88 said:

I can maybe even see a shock Vettel switch back to Red Bull, they cannot keep dropping points with poor showings from 2nd drivers. They need someone who can get some decent points. Although Vettel is not on Max’s level i feel he would do a better job than Albon.

Would that be the Vettel who made 2 mistakes under braking today, and was overtaken by young Albon both times???

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, shyVRS245 said:

Didn't Kimi win his only World Title for Ferrari by a single point also?🤔

Yes, and Hamilton was 17 points ahead with 2 races to go and only 10 for a win. But no Sir, that was not fixed by the FIA at all (in the aftermath of Ferrari-gate).

Edited by camelspyyder