2020 F1 Discussion

camelspyyder

@shyVRS245

Ah but!   

They were / are supposedly 'Amateur' sports people who were getting funded by 'Lottery money' and grants / funding to Associations.

But then Sir Andy Murray is a relatively young & currently a Professional.  Sir Bradley Wiggins.   Former Professional.

Sir Nick Faldo Professional. & many others in Professional Sport get honours. 

Edited by e-Roottoot
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Shyvrs245

Truly, and also in minority sports like Motor-Racing.

Cricket Rugby and Athletics seem to do better out of the honours system mind you.

Although with athletics and cycling there's a bit of a whiff of cheating around some of the recent Knights.

Edited by camelspyyder

Haas announce that Mazepin will drive for them in 2021 despite the recent scandal, after their internal investigation in to the affair...

(...found that Daddy Mazepin would chuck an extra $20 million their way no doubt)

Well I dont supose he has any option now, his legal challenge to Stroll's purchase of Force India has been denied by a court in the last week or so.

Edited by camelspyyder

17 hours ago, Lady Elanore said:

Well deserved honour :) I suspect he won't be one of those celebrities, that we find all sort of horrendous things about somewhere in the distant future and then have to watch endless investigative tv shows about, before he is finally stripped of his knighthood. 

You have to hope not. Some of the biggest names in Sport who've recently been knighted are badly tainted by drug scandals, although none have been un-knighted yet 

Although I think LH is a bit of a pillock, he seems to have a good measure of integrity to him and I've never heard anything terrible about him.  I work with a couple of guys that have worked with him quite a bit on the F1 circuit and even though they both think he is a bit of a knob, he is a decent chap underneath, means well and is obviously a supremely talented chap. 

• Like 1

Hamilton is a good driver no doubt, but after his recent seat swap with George Russell where someone, who has never won a point in F1 in a second rate car, suddenly dominates the field makes me wonder whether people like Kvyat or Hülkenberg or others, who have always had bad press for not winning or standing in the way and constantly getting blue flaggs, would be in the same position in Hamilton's Merc now with 7 titles to their name.

20 hours ago, 26DIPP said:

Hamilton is a good driver no doubt, but after his recent seat swap with George Russell where someone, who has never won a point in F1 in a second rate car, suddenly dominates the field makes me wonder whether people like Kvyat or Hülkenberg or others, who have always had bad press for not winning or standing in the way and constantly getting blue flaggs, would be in the same position in Hamilton's Merc now with 7 titles to their name.

Few can sustain the effort. Mika Hakkinen, for instance, won 2 titles back-to-back, then his form fell off a cliff in 2000, burned out.

Many drivers could potentially win races in the Mercedes and maybe the title, but to keep on doing it is something special.

• Like 1

On 01/01/2021 at 12:57, 26DIPP said:

F1 is 90% car 10% driver. 

Watch motogp or rally or anything else if one wants to see racing etc. 

Still hoping Mclaren might shake things up this year in F1 now they have the merc engine to match their chassis. 

Mercedes employing two short drivers is noteworthy and makes George's achievement in the merc even more impressive where he felt like Donkey Kong in the cart as the merc is currently for little guys. 

2 hours ago, shyVRS245 said:

Bet @lol-lol would be as fast Hamilton then based upon his thesis.:tongueout:

I am more than half as much again as Hamiltons weight and half a foot taller and sadly my reactions are not what they were in my 30s.

Stlll like sub 4s or even sub 3s to 100 kph vehicles though. 

Rossi was within 1.5s of Hamilton lap time in the car, Hamilton was 4 second off Rossi on the bike and dropped the M1. 

Having the best car has always been important, but the teams with the best cars make them even faster when they can by employing the best drivers.

Williams managed to win titles with relative journeymen like Rosberg, Hill and Villeneuve, but they always hired the really fast guys when available; Mansell, Piquet, Prost & Senna all drove for Frank.

You have to doubt that massive multi-nationals like D-B would employ any driver if they weren't convinced that he would gain more points over a year than anybody else. Clearly they don't think Max is worth the risk yet, or they would have prised him out of his RedBull contract long ago.

Other claimants to the honorary title of "best F1 driver"  have not only had access to top-level cars but many have had contractually subservient team mates too.

Schumacher, Fangio even, had the good cars and team mates who were not allowed to win.

Hamilton by contrast was pitched in to sink or swim against double champion Alonso in his first season, and has seen off his team-mate in what is it? 12 of 14 seasons since.

The top teams tell the top drivers when its time to go for the benefit of the team. Ferrari dumped Prost, Schumacher, Alonso and Vettel because they were no longer top dog. Williams binned champions Mansell & Hill. Mercedes will move Hamilton out when its his time too.

• Like 1

One race I did enjoy for LH was Turkey where the was so little grip and Lewis put in a great drive.

Also enjoyed Daniel getting fastest lap in his last race for Renault, two in the season including Spa. Hope he and Lando mix up the grid etc next season.