2020 F1 Discussion

camelspyyder

Well done Racing Point (and Renault in P5?). I think RB are possibly hiding their potential on Friday. Honda have been publicly crowing about making big progress on the engine during the lockdown, so we will see what it has got in Q3. 

For me the best part of the day has been getting live F1 free again, working throughout the sessions, although currently only on PC rather than Amazon Firestick and big screen. Oh and downloading all The Witcher books free too.

Edited by camelspyyder
  • Like 1

It's going to be a political championship. If you can disrupt the opposition at just one race that could make all the difference.

The team most likely to challenge saw both drivers spinning at turn 1, the team leader off in the gravel at turn 6, and explained their slowness by claiming said team leader broke his front wing on his fastest lap.

So let's try plan B and protest the Mercedes, already repeatedly declared legal by the FIA, then...

Edited by camelspyyder

Red Bull are protesting Mercedes DAS system stating that it is a moving aerodynamic device. Luckily for RB Racing their flexible front wing from a few years ago that touched the road when the car was at speed was perfectly legal. 🤔

2 minutes ago, moley said:

Red Bull are protesting Mercedes DAS system stating that it is a moving aerodynamic device. Luckily for RB Racing their flexible front wing from a few years ago that touched the road when the car was at speed was perfectly legal. 🤔

Perhaps the FIA will remove the DRS from all the cars on the grid as they are also a moving aerodynamic device?😷

The part that I really don't understand is that why RB have decided to protest now. The whole world knew about the DAS system at the beginning of the year and as Camelspyyder pointed out the FIA declared it legal.

1 minute ago, moley said:

The part that I really don't understand is that why RB have decided to protest now. The whole world knew about the DAS system at the beginning of the year and as Camelspyyder pointed out the FIA declared it legal.

Like the famous football chant you never sing when your losing to coin a phrase. Either that or Christian Horner is taking advice on tactics from Ginger Spice.😉

9 hours ago, moley said:

Protesting now could potentially f*** Mercedes up for several races. Also there is no mechanism for protesting outside of a race meeting as far as I know.

The stewards rejected the protest.

RedBull can of course appeal,

and eventually we could end up with a stupid McLaren/Ferrari 76 or Williams/Benetton 94 situation with race result changed more than once, racing under appeal, going to court etc.

Edited by camelspyyder

19 hours ago, camelspyyder said:

Well done Racing Point (and Renault in P5?). I think RB are possibly hiding their potential on Friday. Honda have been publicly crowing about making big progress on the engine during the lockdown, so we will see what it has got in Q3. 

For me the best part of the day has been getting live F1 free again, working throughout the sessions, although currently only on PC rather than Amazon Firestick and big screen. Oh and downloading all The Witcher books free too.

Bliss.

New to me Ultra HD F1 and paying less than I was with the Sky Plus HD box.

£299 58 inch 4K TV from Argos, HDR 10+, great this things get cheaper and cheaper.

And Renaults doing well so far, happy days,. MotoGP back mid month and WSB end of  month to complete the motor racing joy.   

Verstappen used the latest front wing off Albons car in P3, closing the gap to the front to a negligible 0.2s. Now just waiting to see who can turn their engines up furthest in qually, Honda or Mercedes?

2 minutes ago, BigJase88 said:

Just shows how far Ferarri are off the pace when they have to use a legal engine.

Think aero is their current problem as they went for greater downforce this year and it has robbed them of too much straight line pace for some gain in the corners. Mercedes engine performed well for Racing Point and McLaren as well as the Black Arrows. Honda now clear second in the engine power race.

Guest BigJase88
13 minutes ago, shyVRS245 said:

Think aero is their current problem as they went for greater downforce this year and it has robbed them of too much straight line pace for some gain in the corners. Mercedes engine performed well for Racing Point and McLaren as well as the Black Arrows. Honda now clear second in the engine power race.

They were blowing oil through their engine last year hence their massive straight line advantage. This year they don’t have the straight line speed as they now have a legal engine.

miles off the pace and where they probably should of been last year.

1 minute ago, BigJase88 said:

They were blowing oil through their engine last year hence their massive straight line advantage. This year they don’t have the straight line speed as they now have a legal engine.

I think 7th and 11th on a power circuit like Austria tells the whole story.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, shyVRS245 said:

Really? Pole last year. 10th & 11th in Q2, and slower than their last year's qually time in Q3. Scandalous and so obvious they were indeed cheating. The FIA look like chumps too for not being able to completely prove that Ferrari cheated.

Edited by camelspyyder
  • Like 2

Every one knew Ferrari were at it last year, when the FIA issued a 'clarification' to the rules at the US GP, suddenly the prancing horse became a limping donkey.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Disappointed by RedBull Honda too if I'm honest. Not got the one lap pace of Mercedes today, and this is Hondas 6th season now. If the car was anywhere close to the W11, I'm sure Max's talent would have it on pole 

Edited by camelspyyder

55 minutes ago, BigJase88 said:

I thought the oil burning was outlawed the year before. Ferrari last year were cheating the fuel flow rules - as cleverly as Honda got round the boost limits in 86/87.

• Like 1

Just checked the times. RedBull over half a second off pole looks like an utter disaster to me.

If they don't close that gap quickly, Max's new long term contract won't be worth the paper it's written on - especially with 2 vacancies currently at Mercedes for 2021.

Guest BigJase88
19 minutes ago, camelspyyder said:

I thought the oil burning was outlawed the year before. Ferrari last year were cheating the fuel flow rules - as cleverly as Honda got round the boost limits in 86/87.

My mistake fuel flow.

5 minutes ago, camelspyyder said:

Just checked the times. RedBull over half a second off pole looks like an utter disaster to me.

If they don't close that gap quickly, Max's new long term contract won't be worth the paper it's written on - especially with 2 vacancies currently at Mercedes for 2021.

Albon almost a further 1/2 second behind Max. Verstappen went for the medium tyre in Q2, so that's what he will start with. Unlikely to jump the Merc's at the start, but could have a tussle with Norris, Albon and Perez at the start.

1 minute ago, BigJase88 said:

My mistake fuel flow.

Yes, it was 'fuel flow'. Ferrari allegedly somehow 'stored' fuel after the flow meter to use more fuel when required. RB tried it on in the first year of the hybrids when they realised that the Renault engine was under powered when used legally. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, moley said:

Albon almost a further 1/2 second behind Max. Verstappen went for the medium tyre in Q2, so that's what he will start with. Unlikely to jump the Merc's at the start, but could have a tussle with Norris, Albon and Perez at the start.

It's certainly got potential to swing the race away from Mercedes, especially if there's a safety car. Indycar races are often completely shaken up by the 2 different tyre compounds. Wolff's team may have to split their strategy to guarantee that one of them will beat Max.

2 minutes ago, camelspyyder said:

It's certainly got potential to swing the race away from Mercedes, especially if there's a safety car. Indycar races are often completely shaken up by the 2 different tyre compounds. Wolff's team may have to split their strategy to guarantee that one of them will beat Max.

Max has nothing to lose by gambling on starting on the medium tyre as he knows he can't out pace the Merc's. As this is the first race of the season we don't know how reliable the cars are what their true race pace is.