engine problems

Hi all

I have a 2010 1.6tdi I was driving the other day on the motorway and several times the glow plug light started flashing and the engine went into some sort of 'limp mode' and restricted me to about 60 mph and wouldn't rev above 2500rpm.

I pulled over and stopped the engine and this reset the system and allowed me to continue on my journey, this happened twice on the journey which was about 120 miles. I got the unit plugged into a friends 'reader' but no fault codes showed on his system, I decided to drive the car home and it happened again twice on the return journey. When the engine slowed down I dipped the clutch turned off the engine for a second or two, restarted the engine and the fault went away. It only seemed to happen when I was driving in the part of the motorway that had a 50 mph speed limit. The problem doesn't show itself when I'm cruising at 70mph or while driving around town.

It has had a new injector fitted over a year ago and Skoda did a 23R6 service under a recall in Sept 2019

Any ideas what the fault can be?

Thanks in advance

Hobbsey 

You need to plug it into a better code reader.

A flashing glow plug light and limp-home mode will almost certainly have generated a fault code.

23R6 is essentially the EA189 'Diesel Gate' recall.

If the fault is fuel or emissions system related then there is a good chance you'll be able to get it fixed for free under Skoda UK's Trust Building Measure...

https://www.skoda.co.uk/owners/ea198-trust-building-measure

What was mileage when you had the emissions fix software recall carried out? How many miles has the car done since the update?

• Like 1

If it does turn out to be the EGR, then it is covered under the Trust Building Measure.

Providing the car has not covered over 160,000 miles, and the 23R6 recall was carried out less than 24 months ago (already confirmed as it was done in September this year). 

You almost want it to be the EGR as the job is close to £1,000 at a main dealer, and would be done for free (I had mine done for zero cost).

Could also be a result of the vanes in the variable vane turbo being stuck by hard carbon build up. Rarely brings up a fault code in my experience, but causes excess pressure under high torque condition, leading to limp mode (resetable by cyclic the ignition).

7 hours ago, pikpilot said:

Could also be a result of the vanes in the variable vane turbo being stuck by hard carbon build up. Rarely brings up a fault code in my experience, but causes excess pressure under high torque condition, leading to limp mode (resetable by cyclic the ignition).

Should generate an under or over boost code if going to limp mode as a result.

• Like 1

My 1.6 has thrown a flashing light error a couple of times, but only in certain circumstances, and no loss of power or economy..

I have to come off a long motorway cruise, brake hard ish (for a toll plaza for example) then give serious hard acceleration pulling away again. 

I had my torque pro running one day i got it to happen, code was for maf signal implausibilty. Cycle the ignition, no more code stored.. had it in dealers and they found nothing on a deep scan either. (I didnt tell them.i had my own reader, wanted to see whats theirs found...) basically, i need to pick a day, make it come back and drive to the dealer without shutting the engine off. 

They suggested it may be egr related... when i explained the circumstances. Either way, i had with them before the warranty milage expired, so they will honour that once we can get it diagnosed.. joy of a nice local dealer....

all booked in for tomorrow, the lass on the phone mentioned the light and also wouldn't quote me on the diagnostic as she's pretty sure it's covered under the warranty. 

I guess I'll know tomorrow evening, fingers crossed

• Like 2

Well thats crap,

Although the garage is more than happy to do it under warranty Skoda  has told them because the car is 2000 miles over they're not prepared to cover it 😞 

The Garage have escalated it to their area manager but I don't hold out much hope and at over £800 I'm gonna have to look at other options 

Hobbesy

1 hour ago, hobbesy said:

Although the garage is more than happy to do it under warranty Skoda  has told them because the car is 2000 miles over they're not prepared to cover it 😞 

Say again?

2,000 miles over what? As long as the car was under 160,000 miles when the recall was carried out and was done less than 24 months ago, then there is no mileage stipulation...

image.png.381416fde66cba18fb944b6eafd95ae0.png

• Like 1

3 hours ago, silver1011 said:

Say again?

2,000 miles over what? As long as the car was under 160,000 miles when the recall was carried out and was done less than 24 months ago, then there is no mileage stipulation...

image.png.381416fde66cba18fb944b6eafd95ae0.png

I think you're misunderstanding it.

Although the trust building measure applies for two years, it can only be implemented on cars with fewer than 160k miles. That's one of the main reasons I avoided the fix (technical measure) as my car would (and now has) exceed the mileage limit long before the two years...

If that is the case then it is very poorly worded.

As I read it then the car won't qualify for the Trust Building Measure (TBM) if it has more than 160,000 miles on it at the time of the software update. As long as the car has less than 160,000 miles on it at the point it has the EA189 software update then you're covered for 24 months by the TBM, regardless of mileage.

I remember the thread where we discussed this previously...

Skoda UK claimed that as the car had exceeded 160,000 miles since new that the TBM didn't apply.

Re-reading their T&C's (highlighted in yellow above) this isn't how I interpret their written words.

If they'd placed a full stop after "160,000 miles" it would make much more sense. This is how Skoda worded it:

The Trust Building Measure applies for a period of 24 months from when the vehicle receives the technical measure and only to vehicles with mileage of under 160,000 miles at the time the Trust Building Measure is implemented (whichever comes earlier).

If only they'd written it like this instead...

The Trust Building Measure applies for a period of 24 months from when the vehicle receives the technical measure and only to vehicles with a total mileage of under 160,000 miles.

Their use of the words is implemented suggests the time the TBM starts, not it's duration.

Poor, very poor.

Edited by silver1011
  • Like 1

If they are prepared to implement The Fix on under 160,000 mile vehicles, they would then require to put in the T&C's that once the vehicle has gone over 160,000 miles they could not give a monkeys.

'Get on your bike, bog off, do not bother us we could not care less about your crappy TDI.'

If they made it clear about after 160,000 miles then people with a car with maybe 130,000 miles or more would go stuff that, why would i get the fix?

As it is i have no idea why anyone does anyway to just let VW Group tick off another one done. & think 'Mugs'.

That is not what their Mouth Piece Paul Willis CEO VW UK had UK MP's on a Transport Committee thinking VW Group would do for owners.

Edited by Roottootemblowinootsoot

A meaningless piece of text.

Remove the "whichever comes first" rephrase the rest adding punctuation and it could be clear.

The intent to wriggle out must have been present for them to have included "whichever comes first".

Maybe deliberately written in such a manner.

hi guys,

They did the fix on my car which was over 160,00 mile mark, the garage manager said Skoda had told him he shouldn't have even done it because of the cars millage. The car has done  500 miles or so since it was done in Sept.

Guess I'm giving a go with the cleaner before I attempt the job by myself, I'm quite competent but there's a lot of stuff to remove to get to it 😞 

Edited by hobbesy

1 minute ago, hobbesy said:

They did the fix on my car which was over 160,00 mile mark, the garage manager said Skoda had told him he shouldn't have even done it because of the cars millage. The car has done  500 miles or so since it was done in Sept.

Based on that, I'd be pushing for some kind of goodwill from the garage. Especially given you've only done 500 miles and they've admitted it shouldn't have been done at 160k+.

• Like 1

As above, if they knew they weren't supposed to apply the fix then why did they?

You should not be 100% out of pocket here. I guess it depends on your outlook, suck it up or push for a contribution towards the cost.