Failed 4 wheel alignment query

58 minutes ago, Gti Jazz Blue said:

Another vote for Nick - I took my Mark 2 FL vRS there - I could feel the difference after he tweaked it.

I could do with taking the Mark III for a check.

As you probably already know (but others might not), he doesn't charge for a check either so nothing lost by booking in and paying him a visit.

I just saw Nick this morning at the Wheel Alignment Centre, Southampton and had my car checked (I'd kerbed an alloy badly a while ago and my left front tyre was feathering ). He is excellent! Very friendly and kind. His coffee is superb as well. Very well pleased with his work. My car was actually OK bar for the wheel that I kerbed which was toed-out when it should be toed-in. I cannot recommend him too highly.

Obviously I was a bit peeved that he didn't take a photo of my tired 63 plate, slightly dinged and scuffed Octavia to add to his wall of fame 😆 (there's some amazing cars he's done).

A top bloke.

https://www.wheelalignmentcentresouthampton.co.uk

On 09/01/2020 at 13:33, Octaviarse said:

Well ... final contribution from me is that I've had a more than satisfactory outcome.

Nick / wheel alignment centre southampton was great. On the way down there I could feel that the steering wheel had been misaligned in the opposite direction from what it was like when I took it in to the original place. Nick's initial measurements came out different to what I left the first place with  .... the same sort of problems were identified at the rear but he felt the front had been excessively toed in. As soon as he jacked the car up we both stuck our noses underneath it and it was completely clear where the rear toe and camber adjustment points were. He adjusted front and rear and was remarkably quick. Price was great too. He just seemed a genuine expert and was keen for me to drive the car around the block a bit before paying too.

I decided to go back in to the original place with my new paperwork to explain the situation and see what their response is. As I said before, they ask everybody to fill in one of their 'good garage scheme' feedback cards and I think it's a bit out of order to give negative feedback without having the decency to speak with the people concerned first and give them a chance to respond. To their credit, the manager / owner came and had a chat and was really good about it. He admitted responsibility and was really apologetic about the misinformation given about not being able to adjust the rear at all and the poor attempt at alignment  I didn't specifically ask for it but he asked me if I would accept a full refund of my invoice (I had some other labour done) as an apology. So credit where it's due ... the alignment work done by the original technician wasn't good enough but the business were willing to acknowledge that and more than made up for it with their kind offer.

Nice result dude! It's always a bit of a worry to recommend someone in case it doesn't turn out to be any good - but I am glad that you've ended up being happy. That's great!

• Like 2

• 3 years later...
2 hours ago, Mac_ said:

Can't seem to find the Wheel Alignment Centre Southampton on Google, has it closed down or something?

I have just read on a BMW Facebook group that Nick has closed due to personal reasons.

It looks like a new company called “Wheel Alignment Solutions” have taken over Nick’s old building and according to the Facebook pics, it’s all the same equipment.

Thanks. AG Falco

On 08/10/2023 at 17:45, AGFalco said:

I have just read on a BMW Facebook group that Nick has closed due to personal reasons.

It looks like a new company called “Wheel Alignment Solutions” have taken over Nick’s old building and according to the Facebook pics, it’s all the same equipment.

Thanks. AG Falco

Hi, Thanks for letting me know.

Though, I am based in Scotland, I probably would have drove down to Nick purely based on the way he carries out his work. 

Anyone know of anyone of Nicks calibre based in and around Scotland that does wheel alignments

47 minutes ago, Mac_ said:

Anyone know of anyone of Nicks calibre based in and around Scotland that does wheel alignments

Star Performance in Glenrothes.  https://www.starperformance.co.uk.  I've been using them for 20 years.  I might be the end of next month before you they can fit you in but it's always worth asking. 

9 minutes ago, Schtum said:

Star Performance in Glenrothes.  https://www.starperformance.co.uk.  I've been using them for 20 years.  I might be the end of next month before you they can fit you in but it's always worth asking. 

Thanks. So, do they let you watch and ask questions/explain whilst everything is being done live? 

How much does a wheel alignment cost? 

How does the John Bean equipment compare to the likes of Hunter HawkEye ? 

1 hour ago, Mac_ said:

Thanks. So, do they let you watch and ask questions/explain whilst everything is being done live? 

How much does a wheel alignment cost? 

How does the John Bean equipment compare to the likes of Hunter HawkEye ? 

I think you'd be best to contact them and discuss all that. 

You dont need super state of the art equipment, you need someone that understands suspension design, vehicle dynamics and what influences the various angles, that person could do a better job than anyone with all the gear but no idea simply using string, a plumb line, straight edges, spirit levels, tape measure etc.

They will of course have invested in proper equipment to make their life easier, the job quicker and to look professional but they have no actual need of it to perform the task.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Schtum said:

I think you'd be best to contact them and discuss all that. 

Yes for sure however I was looking to get your feedback on how you were treated, if possible? 

1 hour ago, Mac_ said:

Yes for sure however I was looking to get your feedback on how you were treated, if possible? 

As I said, I've been having Star Performance work on my VAG cars for the past 20 years.  I wouldn't keep going back there if I didn't think they were one of the very best in the business.  

You might want to look at their Facebook page.  https://www.facebook.com/StarPerformanceUK