Want to Swap my 19" TRINITY anthracite alloys for 17" Alloys

As seen in this advert below (advert is not my car but might as well be as its the same colour and spec)

https://usedcars.skoda.co.uk/en/used-cars/skoda/superb/20-tsi-272ps-4x4-laurin-klement-dsg-est-gjb2mjj

Now my friends call me crazy as this was obviously a £600 upgrade option for someone over 18"'s, nevermind the 17"s - however I actually prefer smaller wheels for the ride quality and am quite prepared to sacrifice aesthetics. 

So my question is, does anyone have a very good condition set of 17" alloys they want to swap in part exchange for my 19"'s ? I will follow up with actual pictures, I am based in Milton Keynes. 

If so reply to this thread and we can see what works deal wise. 

Thank you

Andrew

Edited by john999boy
Typo

36 minutes ago, PanduPando said:

If so reply to this threat

HI Andrew, just couldnt resist highlighting the 'threat' to change your wheels. 😂😂😂

I blame autocorrect for these wonderful occasions where it comes up with a funny outcome

Welcome to the forums, good luck with the swap. 

The standard spec on 19" wheels are a bit different: 8Jx19 ET44

For both 17" and 19", the information I've given are coming from an online ETKA.

I've spoken of spacers to be compliant with OEM specs / design

Edited by Bap33

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you all for your replies and apologies on not getting back sooner.

I'm really looking at standard spec 17's. I've not tried with spacers before but I am wary of anything that deviates from original manufacturer spec as I've tried various things on my previous car (a B5.5 Passat) that "in theory" should have been OK but resulted in other side effects over time (like introducing vibrations that caused other issues). 

It might be that its completely fine to use spacers, but I'm a little too cautious to try that after my experiences.

1 hour ago, PanduPando said:

Thank you all for your replies and apologies on not getting back sooner.

I'm really looking at standard spec 17's. I've not tried with spacers before but I am wary of anything that deviates from original manufacturer spec as I've tried various things on my previous car (a B5.5 Passat) that "in theory" should have been OK but resulted in other side effects over time (like introducing vibrations that caused other issues). 

It might be that its completely fine to use spacers, but I'm a little too cautious to try that after my experiences.

These are the closest oem 17” wheel you can buy. They are either 45 offsets or 51 or in some 49. 
so they would be pretty much spot on 

I'd recommend going down to 18" wheels to avoid having to mess with spacers etc.

My car came with 18" Pegasus alloys, they were lovely and comfort was sublime.

Now I'm running on 19" Sirius alloys and can confirm that the 18s were a lot softer indeed. I changed them simply for aesthetics

Unfortunately I don't have them anymore 😐 but have a look for Skoda Pegasus alloys they have come up for sale on here a few times, eBay too

Edited by drewellis

• 3 weeks later...

Hi guys, been a while since I replied to this thread but I wanted to let you all know what I ended up doing. 

I ended up getting https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Skoda-Superb-3V-Stratos-Alloy-All-Weather-Tyres-215-55-17-Vredestein-90-2017/264632386959?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

These are 7.0J x 17 H2 IS / ET 40, Bap33 kindly quoted the standard Spec for 17 wheels, so these fit my criteria of being OEM, not requiring spacers and pretty good as well + cheaper tyres.

I think these are maybe the closest OEM wheel you can buy Esseesse200? Apologies for keeping you waiting on a decision, I was flip flopping between 17's with spacers or 18's as drewellis suggested. 

Anyway thank you all for your advice. I'll let you know how it goes on here. Will post up some before and after shots so you can see how much uglier my car gets  :D 

• Like 1

Glad I beat you to the set of Ronals on E-bay. I didn't like the Stratos wheels on the car I was buying, so I got them to swap them for a set of Ronals off another Superb (which also gave me an alloy spare!).

I like to have a spare set so that I can swap pairs of tyres as necessary.

When I purchased mine I swapped from 19" to some 18" from another car at the dealer.  I would have preferred 17" but they didn't have anything.

210% agree this obsession to lower and lower profile tyres crossed the threshold for improved functional benefits, and started getting worse for the average motorist once they got larger than ~ 17"

Apart from easier to find more choice of rubber, you get cheaper tyres, less damage to rims and a better quality ride on the smaller wheels. 

Edited by digifish
  • Like 2

On 20/02/2020 at 16:24, King John said:

Glad I beat you to the set of Ronals on E-bay. I didn't like the Stratos wheels on the car I was buying, so I got them to swap them for a set of Ronals off another Superb (which also gave me an alloy spare!).

I like to have a spare set so that I can swap pairs of tyres as necessary.

I guess everyone has different tastes, I prefer the Stratos myself. It confuses me while the Ronals would need spaces and the Stratos not when they are both OEM wheels for the Superb 3V though. Anyone know why that is?

4 minutes ago, PanduPando said:

I guess everyone has different tastes, I prefer the Stratos myself. It confuses me while the Ronals would need spaces and the Stratos not when they are both OEM wheels for the Superb 3V though. Anyone know why that is?

The look too much like hard work to keep clean to me and I prefered the smoother lines of the Ronals.

Both the Ronals that were swapped and the set I bought are 41 offset

15 hours ago, digifish said:

When I purchased mine I swapped from 19" to some 18" from another car at the dealer.  I would have preferred 17" but they didn't have anything.

210% agree this obsession to lower and lower profile tyres crossed the threshold for improved functional benefits, and started getting worse for the average motorist once they got larger than ~ 17"

Apart from easier to find more choice of rubber, you get cheaper tyres, less damage to rims and a better quality ride on the smaller wheels. 

Absolutely, but people do like aesthetics and my 19"s are in perfect condition so I anticipate no problem selling them on Ebay, especially as I will price them more reasonably for a quicker sale than everyone else.

Edited by john999boy

20 minutes ago, King John said:

The look too much like hard work to keep clean to me and I prefered the smoother lines of the Ronals.

Both the Ronals that were swapped and the set I bought are 41 offset

The trinities look harder still to keep clean but posed no problem cleaning. 

Each to their own I guess. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 22/02/2020 at 01:21, john999boy said:

@PanduPando don’t forget you need to be a Freedom member to be able to sell on Briskoda!

Hi John, I'd like to consider becoming a freedom member in order to sell my wheel's. Am I able to access, for viewing only, the buy and sell area? I'd just like to see the kind of activity there before I sign up. 

1 hour ago, PanduPando said:

Hi John, I'd like to consider becoming a freedom member in order to sell my wheel's. Am I able to access, for viewing only, the buy and sell area? I'd just like to see the kind of activity there before I sign up.

AFAIK as you don't need Freedom membership to be able to buy. Have a look here.

It just won't let you post anything though.

On 07/01/2020 at 21:22, PanduPando said:

As seen in this advert below (advert is not my car but might as well be as its the same colour and spec)

https://usedcars.skoda.co.uk/en/used-cars/skoda/superb/20-tsi-272ps-4x4-laurin-klement-dsg-est-gjb2mjj

Now my friends call me crazy as this was obviously a £600 upgrade option for someone over 18"'s, nevermind the 17"s - however I actually prefer smaller wheels for the ride quality and am quite prepared to sacrifice aesthetics. 

So my question is, does anyone have a very good condition set of 17" alloys they want to swap in part exchange for my 19"'s ? I will follow up with actual pictures, I am based in Milton Keynes. 

If so reply to this thread and we can see what works deal wise. 

Thank you

Andrew

You might as well buy new and sell your 19" wheels.

You can use 6.5Jx17 ET38 rims from the Skoda Kodiaq instead of 7Jx17 ET40 rims. Some rims on the Skoda Kodiaq are 7Jx17 ET40.

https://www.skoda-parts.com/spare-part/5650714978z8-aluminium-disc-17-nanuq-skoda-30308.html

skoda-parts.com quotes less than 10 Euros for shipping to the UK.

The advantage of using 6.5J rims instead of 7J rims is that you get a better ride with the 215/55R17 tyres and more protection from kerbing damage as the tyre sidewalls bulge out a bit more on the 0.5" narrower rims.

Here's a photo of the rims on ebay

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Genuine-Skoda-Kodiaq-2017-17-Nanuq-alloy-wheel-Silver-5650714978Z8/362542164900?hash=item5469326ba4:g:Pv4AAOSwrAFcTF9Z

Here's a photo of a matching specification steel rim on oponeo

https://www.oponeo.co.uk/steel-wheel/alcar-kfz-9021#21133938

However, mytyres are usually cheaper for steel rims. £47 for the Alcar 9021.

Edited by Carlston