Looking for a different car.

1 hour ago, *JP* said:

You’re fully entitled to make fun of the looks because they are over the top,but don’t have any doubt that they are a fabulous driving car,beyond anything that VAG has to offer below an RS3....read all the road tests and also take my word for it because I had one before my illness.

Exactly.

Personally, I don't buy cars based on what other people think of them, I buy them based on what they do for me and how well they do it for the money, regardless of badge or popular opinion.  TBH, if I cared about that, I wouldn't drive a Skoda as lets face it, it's still got a negative opinion, or at least people have to explain why it's ok with the 'it's basically a VW' speech.

I don't like the styling of the new CTR, however I'd have one over any of the Skoda offerings in a flash.  For me, the decision was based around for the same age of car I'd have to pay £10k more for the civic than the Octavia and that's not money I could justify.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, *JP* said:

You’re fully entitled to make fun of the looks because they are over the top,but don’t have any doubt that they are a fabulous driving car,beyond anything that VAG has to offer below an RS3....read all the road tests and also take my word for it because I had one before my illness.

People have to like the look of the Civic before they can enjoy the drive (manual only). 50% of new Vrs Octavia models are ordered with DSG boxes so Honda is ignoring 50% of the hot hatch customers by offering a manual only car. Funny video online of an enthusiastic Civic owner stuffing his car into a wall on track so the talent behind the wheel needs to match the talent of the car.:thinking:

My view is you sit on the inside, not the outside.  The Octavia isn't exactly a great looking car either, esp non vRS models.  Skoda just about make it look ok on the vRS while the civic looks great in the normal one, but OTT on the Type R.

Regarding the gearbox, the car is aimed at enthusiasts, rather than people who want a daily driver that is convenient in city driving and a lazy daily drive, but with a bit more power than average, which is where the Octavia vRS sits (that's not a criticism, it sells better as a result).    

And most people who are in that category either don't mind, or want a manual gearbox.  

Also, having had my Octavia for 6 months, one of things I've noticed about it is the gearbox just isn't up there with my Accord and I can see why people do go DSG.  

Changing gear in my Accord is much quicker (easily half the time) and isn't a chore, it just involves you in the drive.  In comparison, the Octy box is a bit slow, and the characteristics of the engine mean you also don't get the pleasure from that involvement as much.  

A few years ago I drove an Acura TL Type S with the 3.6V6 VTEC (~280bhp) with an auto box.  Nice car, would have been better with a manual though.  

I'm with Honda on this one, a auto box in a type R would be travesty.  

Regarding some guy in a video online...  I'm sure there's instances of people crashing all sorts of cars and I'm pretty sure most people out there don't have the ability to drive their car to the limit.   There's plenty of videos of people passing porsches and all sorts in hatches with half the power.  Ultimately, that's down to individual's ability and what really matters is that they're enjoying what they have.

4 minutes ago, Alex-W said:

My view is you sit on the inside, not the outside.  The Octavia isn't exactly a great looking car either, esp non vRS models.  Skoda just about make it look ok on the vRS while the civic looks great in the normal one, but OTT on the Type R.

Regarding the gearbox, the car is aimed at enthusiasts, rather than people who want a daily driver that is convenient in city driving and a lazy daily drive, but with a bit more power than average, which is where the Octavia vRS sits (that's not a criticism, it sells better as a result).    

And most people who are in that category either don't mind, or want a manual gearbox.  

Also, having had my Octavia for 6 months, one of things I've noticed about it is the gearbox just isn't up there with my Accord and I can see why people do go DSG.  

Changing gear in my Accord is much quicker (easily half the time) and isn't a chore, it just involves you in the drive.  In comparison, the Octy box is a bit slow, and the characteristics of the engine mean you also don't get the pleasure from that involvement as much.  

A few years ago I drove an Acura TL Type S with the 3.6V6 VTEC (~280bhp) with an auto box.  Nice car, would have been better with a manual though.  

I'm with Honda on this one, a auto box in a type R would be travesty.  

Regarding some guy in a video online...  I'm sure there's instances of people crashing all sorts of cars and I'm pretty sure most people out there don't have the ability to drive their car to the limit.   There's plenty of videos of people passing porsches and all sorts in hatches with half the power.  Ultimately, that's down to individual's ability and what really matters is that they're enjoying what they have.

Think you're missing one of the main points stated by the OP, mainly the replacement for his troublesome Vrs must be AUTO and not a manual.:thinking:

8 hours ago, Alex-W said:

Exactly.

Personally, I don't buy cars based on what other people think of them, I buy them based on what they do for me and how well they do it for the money, regardless of badge or popular opinion.  TBH, if I cared about that, I wouldn't drive a Skoda as lets face it, it's still got a negative opinion, or at least people have to explain why it's ok with the 'it's basically a VW' speech.

I don't like the styling of the new CTR, however I'd have one over any of the Skoda offerings in a flash.  For me, the decision was based around for the same age of car I'd have to pay £10k more for the civic than the Octavia and that's not money I could justify.  

Good to see that someone understands Hondas.Perhaps your longer term plan should be to replace the Accord with a Civic type R!

I’ve had four V-Tec Hondas, a Prelude 2.2 V-tec,Accord type R,Civic FN2 and Civic FK8 ,the latter sold because of a lengthy period of illness so it wasn’t being used.

The FK8 was a second car,the current vRS Estate is the everyday/ dog transport car.

Don’t know if I’ll have another Honda.

One I’ve missed out on over the years,for various reasons is the S2000.They are getting old now and someone who should know reckons there are many neglected ones out there,so you could pay £10k for one and the would be an equal chance of getting a nice example or a real dog!

But never say never,as they say...

I was looking at getting an s2000 to replace my accord until we decided to have another child, in which case 2 seats wasn't going to cut it.

I'd love one though, arguably one of the best engines made, pretty sure it's still the highest nasp bhp per litre engine produced.

There's a reason I am keeping my accord though, the Octavia is more lazy a drive, more practical with the hatch, more economical, more modern, however even with 18 years more progress or just can't match the type R for feel and driver satisfaction.

As for other suggestions for the OP, how about CLA250 estate or if it's big enough, a BMW M135i?

27 minutes ago, Alex-W said:

I was looking at getting an s2000 to replace my accord until we decided to have another child, in which case 2 seats wasn't going to cut it.

I'd love one though, arguably one of the best engines made, pretty sure it's still the highest nasp bhp per litre engine produced.

There's a reason I am keeping my accord though, the Octavia is more lazy a drive, more practical with the hatch, more economical, more modern, however even with 18 years more progress or just can't match the type R for feel and driver satisfaction.

As for other suggestions for the OP, how about CLA250 estate or if it's big enough, a BMW M135i?

I liked my Accord R when I had it but that was a long time ago...but I do tend to remember the basic characteristics of all the cars I’ve had even though there have been a lot.

I remember it handled very well,great gearchange and steering,supportive Recaro seats...and the v-tec engine of course.

If it had a fault it was that the box had only 5 gears...to exploit the characteristics of the engine IMO it needed 5 close gears for acceleration plus a sixth gear for cruising,but certainly all the memories of it are good.

P.s can’t recommend an M135/140i..

Good very powerful engine,great auto box,the rest very average,dead steering,ride and handling not up to expectations...and small and cramped of course.

27 minutes ago, Alex-W said:

I've had a look at Volvo SUVs and nearly fell off my seat with shock at the prices of them. So that's a no. Even their saloons are stupidly expensive, especially if you want something with a bit of punch. 

Had a look at a Jaguar E pace, not sure about the looks, need to have a proper look at one. 

Wanted to configure a Golf GTi can't, due to the new model coming out. Audi is out of my price range for the specification.

5 minutes ago, TheWanderer said:

I've had a look at Volvo SUVs and nearly fell off my seat with shock at the prices of them. So that's a no. Even their saloons are stupidly expensive, especially if you want something with a bit of punch. 

Had a look at a Jaguar E pace, not sure about the looks, need to have a proper look at one. 

Wanted to configure a Golf GTi can't, due to the new model coming out. Audi is out of my price range for the specification.

At this rate of you ruling out other cars, their isn't much left for you.

Seems like it's back to Skoda 😀

Just unlucky you got a Friday afternoon one that's put you off them!

1 hour ago, TheWanderer said:

If an Audi is out your price range and the price of Volvo SUV's make you fall off your seat, then why are you looking at an E Pace? :wondering:

Skoda is seen as a value-4-money brand ( and the reason I bought mine ). If you want something that's equivelent to a Skoda then you're going to have to open the wallet. Pointless even considering the so called  'premium' brands if money is a factor.

Edited by Guest

22 minutes ago, TheWanderer said:

Arteon - £40,000 without any tweaks.  No.

The 2.0TSI R-Line starts from £36K. There are plenty pre-reg ones available for less than that with extras as well. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, SC03OTT said:

The 2.0TSI R-Line starts from £36K. There are plenty pre-reg ones available for less than that with extras as well. 

Looked at it, looked at dimensions it seems to be a lot bigger than the Octavia 

39 minutes ago, TheWanderer said:

E pace comes with more or less what I want and it's less that a Volvo or Audi and it has a good does of performance. 

Been looking at T Roc.

That comes with the Golf R package I think 296bhp and 4WD and DSG. Not sure about a heated windscreen though.

1 hour ago, TheWanderer said:

Arteon - £40,000 without any tweaks.  No.

Consider potential for discounts before writing things off so quickly.

Broadspeed are showing £7,600 off an R Line 272 that has an RRP of £41,000, so it's available for £34000 ish (albeit with the over £40k tax hike)

If you'd be content with the 190 then I think that's near enough available for £29,000 in R Line trim.

Still not a cheap car but not necessarily as expensive as you might first think. 

Similar with something like the Volvo S90 - list is high but they're available with an £11,000 to £14,000 discount depending which trim level you want.