Garage Size....

Very odd query here. Or at least one that may seem back-to-front.

I'm looking at a new house at the moment, but due to its location there are some pretty serious restrictions based around living there. One of them is that all cars must be kept in the garage, or a five minute walk away. I'm no fan of walking even five minutes to the car in horizontal rain in my best suit, so I have reservations. I think it's highly unlikely that the kodiaq will fit in the garage, and as I'm too far from the house to pop round to check they have told me they will provide some garage dimensions to see if it will fit.

Now, I know the external dimensions of the Kodiaq of course, but I'm not sure how this relates to a usably sized garage. For example, the car may physically fit in a space, but you need to be able to open the door to get in and out too.

Which leads me to my odd question. Does anyone garage their Kodiaq in a single garage that it 'just' fits in for practical purposes who would be happy to share their garage dimensions with me? I can then compare the garage dimensions of this prospective new house with some that I know are practically workable.

The horrors of trying to deal with this remotely!

Thanks in advance for any help....

Presumably it’s the width you’re worried about. Take your car and a handy tall wall that you can approach.  Park up with the wall on your left, as close as you’re happy with.  Measure the gap.

Then park up with the wall on your right, and find out what gap you need, to be able to get out.  Then try getting back in.  Adjust if necessary.  Measure the gap.

Gap + Kodiaq + other gap is the width you are happy with. (Note that people vary in width and agility 😄)

• Haha 1

If it helps, but I have a garage attached to my house and during wintertime I am keeping my Kodi in a garage to avoid the snow brushing every morning.

I am only driving person in my family of two and the garage is single.

Dimensions 6,2 x 4,05 meters (20,3 x 13,3 feet).

Plenty of room for the car and shelves along all the walls.

Garage door is 280 cm (9,2 feet) wide.

• Thanks 1

On 20/01/2020 at 17:12, DaveMiller said:

Presumably it’s the width you’re worried about. Take your car and a handy tall wall that you can approach.  Park up with the wall on your left, as close as you’re happy with.  Measure the gap.

Then park up with the wall on your right, and find out what gap you need, to be able to get out.  Then try getting back in.  Adjust if necessary.  Measure the gap.

Gap + Kodiaq + other gap is the width you are happy with. (Note that people vary in width and agility 😄)

Very logical idea - thanks!

On 20/01/2020 at 17:15, linni said:

If it helps, but I have a garage attached to my house and during wintertime I am keeping my Kodi in a garage to avoid the snow brushing every morning.

I am only driving person in my family of two and the garage is single.

Dimensions 6,2 x 4,05 meters (20,3 x 13,3 feet).

Plenty of room for the car and shelves along all the walls.

Garage door is 280 cm (9,2 feet) wide.

Brilliant - thanks for your help!

This might be helpfull:

https://www.lidget.co.uk/choosing-the-right-size-garage/

A standard UK garage size is still only 2.44m (8 feet) wide which very few modern vehicles would fit in, if the house is pre 80's or 90's then thats almost certainly the size it will be, if its a modern identikit house built by one of the big developers and sold aggressively then you might get a nasty surprise and find that they have saved money by making the garages the minimum standard size knowing that most families will never even try putting a car in their, its reserved for all the plastic K-rap for the garden, kids bikes, toys etc, it might be years before someone twigs.

Hopefully your purpose built development will have sensible sized garages, I really really like the covenant they have placed on the owners, I would love to live somewhere like that.

As an aside its the first time ever I have seen a photo of the original Mini parked beside the mosnstrosity that is not worthy of association with Sir Alec Issigonis, BMW have put an awfull lot of effort and money into preventing publication of such images.

I liked the suggestion of parking both sides against a wall and taking the measurements.

Why doesnt this forum have a thumbs up emoji? You can give the finger in many different ways but not a thumbs up 😞

If one is there please shout as I have just lost the sight of what was the reading eye and am struggling.

1 hour ago, OldBoyScout said:

Just wondering about opening the bonnet. If the Kodiaq is like the MK3 Octavia, you need to open the front passenger door to operate the bonnet opening lever.

It’s drivers side. 

How many garages does the house have and how many cars do you have, might you have as kids grow up?

Many covenants on house sales are not enforced - e.g. the prohibition on parking vans.

Is this covenant really enforced?   go and look around one evening, count the cars parked outside houses.

If you really want the house get a smaller car, or a golf buggy to get you between the garage and the car.

11 hours ago, J.R. said:

This might be helpfull:

https://www.lidget.co.uk/choosing-the-right-size-garage/

A standard UK garage size is still only 2.44m (8 feet) wide which very few modern vehicles would fit in, if the house is pre 80's or 90's then thats almost certainly the size it will be, if its a modern identikit house built by one of the big developers and sold aggressively then you might get a nasty surprise and find that they have saved money by making the garages the minimum standard size knowing that most families will never even try putting a car in their, its reserved for all the plastic K-rap for the garden, kids bikes, toys etc, it might be years before someone twigs.

Hopefully your purpose built development will have sensible sized garages, I really really like the covenant they have placed on the owners, I would love to live somewhere like that.

3 hours ago, IJWS15 said:

How many garages does the house have and how many cars do you have, might you have as kids grow up?

Many covenants on house sales are not enforced - e.g. the prohibition on parking vans.

Is this covenant really enforced?   go and look around one evening, count the cars parked outside houses.

If you really want the house get a smaller car, or a golf buggy to get you between the garage and the car.

It's not really the new-build covenant situation you imagine - it's almost the opposite.

The house is part of a listed courtyard, attached to a stately home within a rural estate. Hence the estate don't allow cars to park in the courtyard. There's an integrated garage, and an additional garage within the courtyard. I envisage one for my junk, and one for the car in the unlikely event of it fitting. Unless the garage was designed for a horse and carriage, I think the likelihood of the car fitting is close to zero...

Thankfully, I have retained my independence and don't have to worry about anyone elses car in the family! 

If your car fits in the garage but there's not much space to exit the car when you open your door, nail or stick a portion of carpet to the wall to avoid damaging the paintwork on the door edge.

Years ago, I'd hang a weighted piece of string from a roof beam at the front end of the garage so I'd know that when the car touched it I was in far enough. That was in the days before parking sensors, although I've never owned a car with front ones.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 20/01/2020 at 16:47, CheshireBumpkin said:

I'm no fan of walking even five minutes to the car in horizontal rain in my best suit.

They're called umbrellas. 

7 hours ago, Manc-Fletch said:

I had to limit the tailgate opening  height so I can open it inside the garage without it banging into the ceiling.😬

B0F30ABE-6CD8-40D9-875D-F9E95E009D6D.jpeg

That looks a very similar fit to mine - I also have to hula under the tailgate if I want to open it. A little nerve wracking.... 

8 hours ago, CheshireBumpkin said:

...and they’re pretty useless in horizontal rain. 

Buy yourself a decent umbrella then.

Just wondering tho, what happens when you reach your destination in this horizontal rain? 

13 hours ago, Scot5 said:

Buy yourself a decent umbrella then.

Just wondering tho, what happens when you reach your destination in this horizontal rain? 

You seem a little upset about the fact I'm not walking to an alternative parking spot. I refer you directly to @silver1011's eloquent and accurate response...

10 hours ago, silver1011 said:

Nothing, because as he's made clear, he isn't and doesn't want to be in it.

Quite. 😆 😂 👍

• Haha 1