1st SKODA a cloaked GOLF R - WoW

1 hour ago, als391 said:

Not so good is the too soft for me suspension, it seems to be just the front, I have a high speed bumpy road on my 36 mile commute to work were it bottoms out, my Golf on 19's had DCC but that was always set on comfort for a perfect ride / handling,

I have DCC on my 272 Superb, have to drive it in sport mode because otherwise it's too soft. Only exeption on the motorway I usually set it on Comfort for a smoother ride.
In sport mode it's not really hard but you can feel better the car on corners, imho.
Look on the bright side, if one day you want to change the suspension you will not have to pay an exorbitant amount for a dcc kit! :thumbup:

• Like 1

Agree with you about the rebound on the front suspension, I'm currently looking into this to firm things up on mine as over speed humps in my street and motorway ridges it seems to take one of two bounces until it settles whereas my previous Octavia Vrs245 settled much quicker after encountering a bump. Just over a month now for me and over 1,100 miles and I love 90% of the car and its wide range of abilities and everyone driving a Prestige rival has no idea how fast these large barge's are which is quite amusing.:hi:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Nick_H said:

Please change your thread tittle this is supposed to be a big secret !!! If Superbs now go missing off drives it will all be your fault !!!

Ohhh Nick you've got me worried now, are you serious ? I don't want to temp fate or offend !!

So are there Scrotes on this forum ?

It would be a Superb car for ram raids

S Yorks ? I work in Rotherham so my bumpy road is the A635 Isle of Skye, do you know it ?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Roscio said:

I have DCC on my 272 Superb, have to drive it in sport mode because otherwise it's too soft. Only exeption on the motorway I usually set it on Comfort for a smoother ride.
In sport mode it's not really hard but you can feel better the car on corners, imho.
Look on the bright side, if one day you want to change the suspension you will not have to pay an exorbitant amount for a dcc kit! :thumbup:

I have DCC and the difference between the modes is much more apparent than in my friend's Kia Stinger GTS.

Sport in the Skoda goes rock hard, very responsive indeed.

Comfort is what I call sea-sickness mode;

if there's more than one person in the car on an undulating high speed surface (like the M55!) it honestly feels like you're driving the QE2 with broken stabilisers.

^ add to that a cross wind, and Comfort mode may as well be called Suicide mode

Edited by drewellis
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

FYI the High Beam Assist can be added yourself using VCDS or OBDeleven. If you don't fancy doing it yourself there is a sticky thread at the top of this forum with a map of VCDS owners who will do it in exchange for a few beer vouchers 👍.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

With that flashy red colour over almost 5 meters of vehicle you're not exactly going "under the radar" with your new car though, do you? :tongueout:  Surely colour won't matter much to thieves, but I worry more about idiot neighbors or passers-by at the street or parking lots that have issues with their lives and usually try to address them by vandalizing others' properties.

Having driven a MK7 Golf R on a few occasions in the past, I have to say that between it and a DCC 272 set to Sport mode, there is hardly anything between them in terms of handling. The car is surprisingly planted, grippy and responsive. The surprise comes I guess from the fact Skoda do not really promote it as a sporty saloon, neither it has an "official" sport badge (vRS, GTI, R, Cupra) to create those expectations. But sharing its underpinnings with those sporty boys in reality, it delivers much more than promised. The resemblance to the Golf R's driving characteristics overall (surefooted and planted under all conditions) plus the extra comfort, luxuries and space is what sold me to it over an R estate. (Ok I was also not a fun of the R estate's looks tbh).

I think the DCC Sport mode on the Sportline, while not M3 or S4 firm levels for sure, is just enough to allow you to exploit the car's oomph to an extent that most people can settle with, especially considering what the car is: a 5m family saloon. The feedback from non-DCC owners tends to universally agree that it's a bit softer than it should. Which kinds of makes sense really. When you have to choose only one, fixed, firmness setting for your dampers, you wouldn't go for the hardest one the rest of the suspension and car are designed for. Otherwise you'd be compromising its use for the rest of the time that it's not being thrown around, which is probably the majority of its use anyway.

But as @Roscio said, the upside to that is that a suspension upgrade is easier and cheaper on non-DCC cars and it's probably for the same money that you'd pay to tick DCC in the options in the first place so it's not all bad.

Edited by newbie69
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, als391 said:

Ohhh Nick you've got me worried now, are you serious ? I don't want to temp fate or offend !!

S Yorks ? I work in Rotherham so my bumpy road is the A635 Isle of Skye, do you know it ?

😉

8 hours ago, als391 said:

I'm a Salford lad and work at Hellaby, and I know all the routes back to the 'right' side of the hills :)

Nice colour als :)

I initially wanted the Golf R estate but we personally know 2 people who were burgled for the keys to theirs. My wife point blank refused to have one on the drive.  The S3 is another piece of TWOC candy the scrotes can’t resist. 

@als391 get yourself a signal blocker key pouch and also when locking the car, use the fob to lock it and then touch the KESSY sensor on the handle within a few seconds; this disables KESSY and makes signal spoofing a bit more difficult. Don’t forget you then need to use the key fob to gain entry as the handle sensors are disabled. Only issue is that it just means the keys are more important so burglary more likely.  You’ll never win with these  twunts. 

Lovely car BTW, I do like the Velvet red. Not many around. I regret choosing Meteor grey; it’s now a free colour so I’m starting to see a lot of them 🤬

Enjoy 😊 

Edited by penguin17

14 minutes ago, penguin17 said:

I initially wanted the Golf R estate but we personally know 2 people who were burgled for the keys to theirs. My wife point blank refused to have one on the drive.  The S3 is another piece of TWOC candy the scrotes can’t resist. 

@als391 get yourself a signal blocker key pouch and also when locking the car, use the fob to lock it and then touch the KESSY sensor on the handle within a few seconds; this disables KESSY and makes signal spoofing a bit more difficult. Don’t forget you then need to use the key fob to gain entry as the handle sensors are disabled. Only issue is that it just means the keys are more important so burglary more likely.  You’ll never win with these  twunts. 

Lovely car BTW, I do like the Velvet red. Not many around. I regret choosing Meteor grey; it’s now a free colour so I’m starting to see a lot of them 🤬

Enjoy 😊 

Hi

done all that which is probably why they came in the house

Annoying that VAG have 'sleep' keys and they're used on Seats. VW would never tell me when they were introducing it or retro fit, going to try my Superb when I have a minute`

Meteor and race blue are my favorite colours but couldn't find any so jumped on the Velvet which is a bit unusual at £725 extra, ouch

17 minutes ago, penguin17 said:

Oh and I thought the Golf R and 280/272 had the same brake setup? 

340mm vented discs and TRW callipers at the front with 310mm vented discs and ATE callipers at the rear? 

you could be right, I just a did a quick check

• Like 1

I have a Pandora system fitted to the car with remote start. It also uses better encryption for it's remotes, so thieves could still scan my keys and get into the car, but they can't scan the Pandora fobs, so the alarm would go off and immobilise the car. I also have a special tag that has to be with me at all times otherwise the engine cuts off and alarm goes off (anti hijack).

I've also got cctv round the house & garage - yes it's "only a Skoda" as some people say, but I'm a strong believer in EARNING what you own. Burglars can just f**k off 👍

Edited by drewellis
  • Like 4

23 hours ago, penguin17 said:

Oh and I thought the Golf R and 280/272 had the same brake setup? 

340mm vented discs and TRW callipers at the front with 310mm vented discs and ATE callipers at the rear? 

They must have. Identical setup is shared across Golf R, S3, GTI, Cupra, Superb, 340mm front, 310mm rear.

• Thanks 1

On 29/01/2020 at 12:29, BriskodaJeff said:

FYI the High Beam Assist can be added yourself using VCDS or OBDeleven. If you don't fancy doing it yourself there is a sticky thread at the top of this forum with a map of VCDS owners who will do it in exchange for a few beer vouchers 👍.

You got me all excited about this,

but my car has not got a camera, has not got another position on the headlamp stalk, so can't be done.

Not sure which spec would have the above without high beam assist maybe someone who just ordered traffic sign recognition

I have 220TSI Sportline with REVO remap to 300bhp, which made me wish I had gone for DCC ! Anyway, I decided to change the shocks for Koni special actives and they have transformed the handling without ruining the ride comfort. The car is much more planted around bends and soaks up mid corner bumps much better. 

• Like 2

That is good news I can't decide what to do and was actually thinking about changing the car for one with DCC.

So did you do all four and keep the original springs ?

3 hours ago, Stern said:

Dear all Canton listeners - recently the sound in my subwoofer just disappeared. All bass is missing which makes it awfull to listen to any kind of music in my beloved car. Tuning up and down on the Subwoofer doesn't help. As well up and down on the bass equalizer doesn't help much either on the main speakers. Like most low hertz frequencies are gone.

The day after the sub dissapeared the bass came back like for half a second. Later at my Skoda retailer they used 4,5 hours trying out different solutions without luck. They as well heard the sub working for a couple of seconds and then dead again. Now it has been dead for 2 weeks. Skoda tried to exchange the amplifier with a brand new one. My amplifier worked on the brand new Superb and opposite still no reaction.

Do any of you have a clue where in the system the fault could be found? How and where to measure voltage or ampere to spot the fault?  

On 29/01/2020 at 04:04, als391 said:

After an attempted and then a successful burglary where they got in for the keys the Golf R had to go, what kind of f.....g world do we live in where decent hardworking folk can't enjoy their performance car !
2 weeks on and my used ex Skoda management Superb Sport-line plus 272, supernova 19's, virtual Cockpit and Canton in velvet red is stunning, I appreciate how brill Skoda's are unlike my brand snob daughter-in-law who just doesn't get it.

The car is a cloaked Golf R, wow !  ☺️

Obviously coming from the near ultimate but boring hot hatch the Skoda is a little bit down on the out and out performance and handling but amazingly good and already given a few unsuspecting drivers their comeuppance.

Virtual Cockpit is better configured than Golf that having a mainly blue theme it was very difficult to see the main beam light on and I love the LED interior lighting.
Windscreen washer jets fan spray works perfectly unlike Golf's known problem little trickle, bonkers from VW on a performance car.
Seats are far better and with electric adjustment / memory as well.
We certainly have no problems fitting the Grand-kids prams in the boot, omg
Love the electric tailgate.
Front brakes are same size as Golf, rears 10 mm down and appear to be perfectly adequate, on the Golf sometimes they didn't seem quite good enough especially after my previous Merc's

Not so good is the too soft for me suspension, it seems to be just the front, I have a high speed bumpy road on my 36 mile commute to work were it bottoms out, my Golf on 19's had DCC but that was always set on comfort for a perfect ride / handling,

I'd like to try a Superb with DCC as having that in Sport would possibly be just what I need or lets hope they bring out a VRS version and I'll be top of the order book.
i'd like a bit more exhaust noise rather than just going woosh.

Finally VW dealers mine being Inchcape are hopeless and I wouldn't buy another VW because of them, thankfully not much went wrong but compared to my previous MB dealer I felt exposed and not looked after, I've got great hopes for Skoda restoring my faith again.

So my only spec regrets would be DCC and high beam assist but buying used it's quite difficult finding specced up used cars my budget isn't limitless, we'll see next time !

pics coming soon this is my spec and colour though I haven't got the sunroof

superb p.jpg

Does your car have traffic sign recognition?

if so it has the camera required in the windscreen and I believe it’s a visit to someone nice with VCDS to code high beam assist for you.

cant help with the DCC as I am guessing different shocks and extra wiring and module as well as coding if anyone has worked it out?

• 1 month later...

@als391 now you've had the Superb for a few months.  What are your overall thoughts on it, in direct comparison to the Golf R?  Would you go back to the Golf? 

I've been looking at Mk 7.5 Golf R estates and there's areas I can see which are better and some worse in comparison to the Superb but I've never had to live with the Golf before.  

I've had a car of a similar size car before I got the Superb (Leon ST) and never found it wanting from a practicality perspective (and at the time we were still using baby seats) and whilst the leg/interior room on the Superb is much more plentiful I know that the size difference isn't a concern. It's more driving and kit I'm querying; not many Golf R's seem to be well spec'd. Winter and convenience packs and possibly a pano roof are all that I can realistically hope to find. DCC, Dynaudio and other options don't seem to be ticked that often.  I know far well I will miss the Canton and heated screen in the Superb. 

Bearing in mind the car will only cover <8K per year and that's mainly for school runs, running errands, weekend family stuff and my odd solo drives around the NY Moors and Dales. I can see the Superb being the better choice for daily, longer commutes but I don't do that anymore.  I'm just really not sure if the extra ooomph/urgency (I'm only looking at 310ps cars) and dynamic capabilities of the Golf trump the Superbs superior kit levels and comfort.  Oddly I've found the Golf seems to suppress road/wind noise better than the Superb....

Any advice/insight would be much appreciated. 

Edited by penguin17

Hi,

Superb is SUPERB only prob for me is the soggy suspension it needs DCC but I'm probably going to change the shocks,

seats and interior are better

I miss the heated front screen I've never had one since my MK2 Focus Zetec long long ago

I'm getting exactly the same consumption as my Golf with a little less excitement which I do miss, don't get me wrong the Superb is damn quick but the Golf was mental and utterly stunning.

The Golf even has the edge on my previous car an A45, but boy do I miss the noise, A45 to Golf was bad but now it's just whooooosh.

After mega disappointment with my VW dealer Inchcape and VW customer service I vowed never to have another VW my plan was to go back to Merc and get an A35 saloon, my MB dealership really really looked after me,

but I'm now utterly dismayed at the thefts of certain cars the Golf and AMG Mercs being top of the list so annoyingly I've had to tone it down a little, I haven't even put my cherished number on the Superb.

So to answer I wouldn't have another but if your happy with your local VW dealer and the security isn't a concern.........go for it.

Your correct about the road/wind noise but I find more tyre noise in the Superb but that can all be down to tyre choice.

Gutted yesterday by chance 35 miles away from home my old Golf zoomed pass, he was being a naughty boy but the Superb easily kept up  

Alan

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, als391 said:

Hi,

Superb is SUPERB only prob for me is the soggy suspension it needs DCC but I'm probably going to change the shocks,

seats and interior are better

I miss the heated front screen I've never had one since my MK2 Focus Zetec long long ago

I'm getting exactly the same consumption as my Golf with a little less excitement which I do miss, don't get me wrong the Superb is damn quick but the Golf was mental and utterly stunning.

The Golf even has the edge on my previous car an A45, but boy do I miss the noise, A45 to Golf was bad but now it's just whooooosh.

After mega disappointment with my VW dealer Inchcape and VW customer service I vowed never to have another VW my plan was to go back to Merc and get an A35 saloon, my MB dealership really really looked after me,

but I'm now utterly dismayed at the thefts of certain cars the Golf and AMG Mercs being top of the list so annoyingly I've had to tone it down a little, I haven't even put my cherished number on the Superb.

So to answer I wouldn't have another but if your happy with your local VW dealer and the security isn't a concern.........go for it.

Your correct about the road/wind noise but I find more tyre noise in the Superb but that can all be down to tyre choice.

Gutted yesterday by chance 35 miles away from home my old Golf zoomed pass, he was being a naughty boy but the Superb easily kept up  

Alan

Great Alan, thanks!  

If you were basing things purely on car vs car, which would have on the drive right now? 

I agree, on the security concerns.  I've had this conversation two years ago when I initially looked at the 280 and Golf R and in the end my wife didn't want an R anywhere near as we know people who've had theirs stolen or burgled to try and get the keys.  My neighbour is a BMW M135i owner who happens to be high up in local plod and when I spoke to him last he mentioned that in situ theft of  van, Fiesta and Corsa parts are now more of a concern than home invasion/theft of performance cars.  The stolen parts business is apparently more lucrative at the mo.  I'd have to sill give it serious consideration though.