Superb/Passat where is the extra space ?

Just out of curiosity, given the Superb and Passat estates are largely the same car and the boot size seats up is the same within 10L .... 660 vs 650

When the seats are folded down there is 170L more in the Superb (1950 vs 1780)

Do the seats fold flatter in the Superb or something like that ?

Or are they just measured differently ?

Thanks 

Superb is bigger in every aspect, dimensions wise.

Passat B8

- 4767 mm (L)

- 1832 mm (W)

- 1456 mm (H)

- 2791 mm (wheelbase)

- 1584 mm (front track)

- 1568 mm (rear track)

Superb 3V

- 4861 mm (L)

- 1864 mm (W)

- 1483 mm (H)

- 2841 mm (wheelbase)

- 1585 mm (front track)

- 1572 mm (rear track)

I own both and the Superb is bigger in every way.

Though the Passat is MUCH QUIETER (much better noise insulation)!!!

But the Superb is FASTER!!!

But the Passat has better economy (TDI)!!!

But the Passat feels a step up in quality (overall), subjective I know...

I could go on and on!

You get the point, they are both fantastic vehicles...

Edited by ope126
  • Haha 4

Fantastic? 

Have you driven anything else 🤣

The passat is arguably the most bland, dull and forgettable cars on the road. 

I feel that's why when released the superb mk 3 was quite stylish and angular in appearance to ensure it doesn't become as forgetful as a passat. 

9 hours ago, MiniEggs said:

It sounds like you have got the Superb parts bin special with the VAG V10 in it 😂

What MY is your Passat ?

MY18 Passat Alltrack Wolfsburg Edition

24 minutes ago, Whenwillilearn said:

Fantastic? 

Have you driven anything else 🤣

The passat is arguably the most bland, dull and forgettable cars on the road. 

I feel that's why when released the superb mk 3 was quite stylish and angular in appearance to ensure it doesn't become as forgetful as a passat. 

You obviously know best mate...

I have been driving for 24yrs and have owned around 40 vehicles throughout different life stages.

BMW 330, BMW 530d, Series 5 RX-7 Turbo, Nissan 200SX, VW Golf GTI (MK4 / MK5 / MK6 and MK7), Opel Insignia Select Sports Tourer, Holden Vectra CDXi 3,2 V6 the list goes on.

But what would I know...

Last year after selling my Superb II I found the Passat B8 to be far better value than the Superb III in terms of spec but every time I look in the back of the car I notice that its not as vast as the Superb was.

1 hour ago, ope126 said:

You obviously know best mate...

I have been driving for 24yrs and have owned around 40 vehicles throughout different life stages.

BMW 330, BMW 530d, Series 5 RX-7 Turbo, Nissan 200SX, VW Golf GTI (MK4 / MK5 / MK6 and MK7), Opel Insignia Select Sports Tourer, Holden Vectra CDXi 3,2 V6 the list goes on.

But what would I know...

There are some interesting and entertaining drives in that list. Especially that 200sx.

I heard that VW developed the long wheelbase Passat chassis that the Superb uses for the Chinese market, where rear legroom is one of the must haves.

They decided not to go ahead with the LWB Passat and Skoda used the chassis for the Superb, lucky for us!

• Like 1

13 hours ago, ope126 said:

MY18 Passat Alltrack Wolfsburg Edition

I'm guessing Wolfsburg means fully loaded with options ?

I'm definitely considering the Alltrack as unfortunately we don't get the Superb Scout in the UK

With the driver seat all the way back how much more knee room would you say there is in the Superb compared to the Passat ?

Is the under seat foot room about the same ? i.e. easy to get your feet under ? do you have electric seats in both ? do motors etc rob foot room like they do in many premium cars ?

Thanks

17 minutes ago, MiniEggs said:

With the driver seat all the way back how much more knee room would you say there is in the Superb compared to the Passat ?

I can't comment on the Passat but if you move the Superb seat all the way back you probably won't be able to touch the pedals at all unless you're about 6 ft 6" so I'm not sure that will give you a good comparison.  I tried that in the process of trying to get an ideal seating position and almost felt like I was sitting in the back.

20 minutes ago, MiniEggs said:

I'm guessing Wolfsburg means fully loaded with options ?

I'm definitely considering the Alltrack as unfortunately we don't get the Superb Scout in the UK

Is the under seat foot room about the same ? i.e. easy to get your feet under ? do you have electric seats in both ? do motors etc rob foot room like they do in many premium cars ?

Thanks

In Australia, the Wolfsburg was a Limited Edition Model.

Basically 19" Albertville Wheels, Active Info Display etc. etc.

I don't drive with the seat all the way back. I am 5ft 10 and I am comfortable in both cars.

Although there is more rear room in the Superb.

Both cars have electric memory seats and no issues with rear passenger toe room.

We have three (3) kids.

Both cars are fit for purpose and for our stage in life...

12 hours ago, Whenwillilearn said:

There are some interesting and entertaining drives in that list. Especially that 200sx.

Yes, certainly some interesting cars...

Impreza WRX, a few Astras, a few Barinas (Corsas), Toyota Corrollas with 4AGE 20v conversions and a 4AGZ-E (supercharged) conversion and one SUV that I kept for 10days before getting rid of...

It was a 1998 S14a Nissan 200SX Luxury. A few little mods netted a 12.9sec 1/4 mile back in the day.

However the Series 5 RX-7 Turbo was my fastest car. It did a 12.3sec 1/4 mile...

Brings back memories....

21 minutes ago, DB72 said:

I can't comment on the Passat but if you move the Superb seat all the way back you probably won't be able to touch the pedals at all unless you're about 6 ft 6" so I'm not sure that will give you a good comparison.  I tried that in the process of trying to get an ideal seating position and almost felt like I was sitting in the back.

Thanks I only said all the way back to try and compare like with like as we are all different sizes. I'm 6ft and carry adults in the back

24 minutes ago, ope126 said:

In Australia, the Wolfsburg was a Limited Edition Model.

Basically 19" Albertville Wheels, Active Info Display etc. etc.

I don't drive with the seat all the way back. I am 5ft 10 and I am comfortable in both cars.

Although there is more rear room in the Superb.

Both cars have electric memory seats and no issues with rear passenger toe room.

We have three (3) kids.

Both cars are fit for purpose and for our stage in life...

Thanks for the feedback

I'm a bit further along in life, I'm 6ft tall and carry adults in the back more often

7 minutes ago, MiniEggs said:

Thanks for the feedback

I'm a bit further along in life, I'm 6ft tall and carry adults in the back more often

Kids, all teenagers...

Plenty of room for all.!!!